I liked what I saw short and sweet | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I liked what I saw short and sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
MSGRET is funny. Tina and Swin rebounding their misses. Aren't they among the greats?

Reaction Score
I'm a little concerned about the depth of our bigs. Ayanna is going to get into foul trouble some. We are going to need both Aubrey and Caroline down low before the season is through. Amari is the last person off the bench to me as of last year. Aubrey is going to be a very important contributor for sure. Especially in matching up with some teams which have fast bigs.

Reaction Score
I’m not even worried about our defense. Yes, they were some mistakes made yesterday. But we are Team-Energy. That will make up for it until we’ve perfected that side of the game.
Game ONE, is not to see perfect. It is to see how the player fits the roles intended. For all intents, I was pleased with each and every one. Ines will see more and more PT as the season and she progresses. Azzi wasn't a shock, Lou was. Nika was the Nika I expected, Dorka was better than I hoped. Edwards didn't lose abilities, she's on her way to Uconn history. Griffin, Wow oh Wow, not in my wildest dreams did I expect her game to become so good. @oldude did.
Defense will show itself on Texas and NC, or not. To me, you win game with scoring--keep it within range with Defense. Both will be needed with the Long Horns and NC

Reaction Score
It was great to see the girls play again. I saw some definite improvements in Aaliyah post moves with fakes and spins. Much better and she can be a force for us inside. Ayanna can learn a lot from her. Nika really pushed the ball all game and on ocassion attacked the basket which is an improvement over last year. Aubrey seemed extremely explosive and will help us a lot by getting to balls with her quickness and desire. The shooting improvement would only be a bonus. Azzi and Lou as expected by me that they can and will score in many ways. Add Caroline as the other scorer and we will be hard to shut down. Inez looks like a under control PG who could help us. Dorka played well and hit her outside shots. She is comfortable on the outside. Final 4 or bust. Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
Texas is the first one. I'm elated that this game was scheduled at the beginning of the season. I don't want to wait 10-12 games into the season for a real test. I want to know right away. Texas is ranked #3 in the preseason polls. A top 5 team for sure. The question is can they run with us?? :rolleyes: No doubt Geno is going to take the leash off, and let 'em run long hard and fast.
Me, too. I think Harmon and Morris will definitely be able to run with us. Gonzalez may be able to run with us for a whole game if her knee is up to it. But that's just not enough to hold us back.

On the defensive end, we shouldn't focus on Harmon. I say we pack the paint and let Nika and Azzi focus on Morris or Gonzalez. Harmon will score some, but it won't matter if she can't pass to the perimeter shooters and we crowd their posts in the paint. But we don't need to tire out Nika or Azzi trying to contain her.

Vic's typical game plan is to slow the game down, use their entire shot clock, and if possible get an O-board to run even more clock. The point is to reduce our shot opportunities and tire out our guards. Let's not play into their hands. Give them perimeter shots (but not Morris or Gonzalez) and nothing else.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
MSGRET is funny. Tina and Swin rebounding their misses. Aren't they among the greats?
Yes they are among the greats but, Geno did make those statements on both Swin & Tina during their times playing at UConn.

Reaction Score
Discussion of Amari’s play is a valid basketball topic and can continue
I tend to agree with Mr. Bone Dog. For years it was ONO. Last year it was Nika. It seems like every year 1 player takes an inordinate amount of criticism. I don't want to see Amari get the ONO treatment. It wouldn't be bad if everyone (including me) lightened up on her on her a little bit. Discussion, yes. Ragging on the girl, no.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with Mr. Bone Dog. For years it was ONO. Last year it was Nika. It seems like every year 1 player takes an inordinate amount of criticism. I don't want to see Amari get the ONO treatment. It wouldn't be bad if everyone (including me) lightened up on her on her a little bit. Discussion, yes. Ragging on the girl, no.
Fair enough but moderators remove inappropriate posts, other posters don’t get to set the rules

Reaction Score
Nika still not out of the dog house by some.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nika still not out of the dog house by some.
Some folks refuse to admit they might have been mistaken. They made an initial assessment relative to Nika as a freshman and struggle to see beyond it. Nika surprised many Husky fans by earning a starting spot as a freshman. Last year she surprised many Husky fans by earning the BE DPOY honor. Maybe she’ll surprise Husky fans again this year by leading the team to a national championship at pg.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
When I saw Ayanna play, she struck me as a physical specimen. She also has a tough-minded, won’t back down approach that’s going to make her a difficult matchup. She and Aaliyah can do some damage in thepaint

View attachment 80425
Remember what she said a couple 3 weeks ago.........”if you don’t know me now, you will.” Sounds like a line drawn in the sand to me. :eek:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some folks refuse to admit they might have been mistaken. They made an initial assessment relative to Nika as a freshman and struggle to see beyond it. Nika surprised many Husky fans by earning a starting spot as a freshman. Last year she surprised many Husky fans by earning the BE DPOY honor. Maybe she’ll surprise Husky fans again this year by leading the team to a national championship at pg.
I have no life. It’s 4:36 am local time. I’m having my first cup of coffee, listening to ESPN radio, and cruising the boneyard. :confused:

Reaction Score
She must have been watching replays of Swin Cash and Tina Charles when they played at UConn. According to Geno, that's how those two got many of their rebounds by rebounding their misses.:rolleyes:
Yeah, Geno gets sarcastic sometimes.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Strength isn’t her weakness. ;) She needs to develop a variety of shots around the paint, she’s not just jumping over 5-10 kids in there anymore.
From what I have seen thus far (not very much) both Ayanna and Aubrey rely almost entirely on their strength and athleticism: they are accustomed to out-quick and out-leap their opponents for rebounds. However, they could learn to add some finesse after pulling down offensive rebounds-- pump fakes, footwork, etc. to translate those rebounds into put-back points.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I have no life. It’s 4:36 am local time. I’m having my first cup of coffee, listening to ESPN radio, and cruising the boneyard. :confused:
Story of my current life. LOL

Reaction Score
.......and now we understand why Amari gets so little floor time.
Sarcastic Joke GIF

Reaction Score
Discussion of Amari’s play is a valid basketball topic and can continue
Some of the comments about Amari is just petty and is getting excessive. But I will follow your guide on this one.

Reaction Score
Ill wait til after the texas game before i decide how many PPG the team averages.
I think even after that Texas game, the team should have a pretty high PPG average.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Since this thread is "short and sweet", I will include the UConn Highlight clip so you can OD on all the great plays without annoying gaps.

Reaction Score
I love what I saw out there as well. Looking forward to Thursday's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom