I know it's only one video, but was &^#@ crazier in the 90's? | The Boneyard

I know it's only one video, but was &^#@ crazier in the 90's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score

Looks like it's nuts in there! Are today's games in Gampel as exciting as the one in this video? Is Gampel one of the best places to watch a college basketball game in the country? Is there anything UConn could do to make Gampel more exciting/intimidating/generally better?

Reaction Score

From there on out, it was the loudest and craziest I have ever seen Gampel. Awesome game.

Reaction Score

Looks like it's nuts in there! Are today's games in Gampel as exciting as the one in this video? Is Gampel one of the best places to watch a college basketball game in the country? Is there anything UConn could do to make Gampel more exciting/intimidating/generally better?

I was there somewhere! Gampel is a lot better than HCC but I don't know that I would say it is one of the "best" places to watch a game. We were just getting good when Gampel opened and the crowds were much more rabid. Prolonged success has jaded a number of fans and the point system has since put many of the best seats in the hands of corporations. Not exactly the face-painting types.

Reaction Score
Gampel can still bring it with the best of college basketball arena's... the Texas game a couple years ago was crazy.

Reaction Score
Texas in 10, Nova in 06, Stanford in 98, Michigan State in 99, Arizona in 2000...Plenty of great games with incredible atmosphere at Gampel over the years.

Reaction Score
Was at this game, loudest and most electric uconn game Ive been too in the last ten years. It was like a highlight reel. Texas was coming off a loss at KState, but still uconn dominated. Watched this video of the game and loved it even more. Dysons slam to start the second half was the wildest ive seen gampel and it just got crazier. Also young kemba starts showing signs of greatness. I like to forget about getting beat down by provo the next game and loosing 5 out of the next 6. That was a good year for selective memory

Reaction Score
Texas in 10, Nova in 06, Stanford in 98, Michigan State in 99, Arizona in 2000...Plenty of great games with incredible atmosphere at Gampel over the years.

Oklahoma 03-04 was pretty sweet too, weren't they ranked like 4 or 5?

Reaction Score
That Texas game was CRAZY and almost two years later i still cant believe how loud it was in Gampel that day. During that stretch in the 2nd half when Uconn took the lead for good at 54-52 and the Kemba 3 to beat the shot clock i think were the most memorable parts of the game...the crowd was really into it. Im hoping the Syracuse gameday at Gampel will rival that Texas game.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
1. I think Gampel was slightly better overall in the early 90s because the fan base hadn't gotten complacent at all.

2. That said, as others have pointed out, you can find a highlight from any season where it looks like Gampel is going nuts.

3. Gampel is not one of the best homecourts. The students aren't optimally placed, and the "stand until the first basket" tradition SUCKS. Nothing like having the entire crowd SIT DOWN 30 seconds into the game. Whose idea was that?

Reaction Score
I believe Katz said that Gampel for the Texas game was the loudest he had heard any arena in a long time. When they went on that big (15-0?) run when we kept stealing the ball, it was bedlam

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
I haven't been to as many games over the last 10 years as I'd like, but I was there for the 2006 Villanova game and it got pretty damn loud.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
1. I think Gampel was slightly better overall in the early 90s because the fan base hadn't gotten complacent at all.

Great point, fanbase has definitely gotten complacent lately. Hopefully not now after a national title. If First night was a precursor of attendance for this year, it should be fun.

2. That said, as others have pointed out, you can find a highlight from any season where it looks like Gampel is going nuts.

3. Gampel is not one of the best homecourts. The students aren't optimally placed, and the "stand until the first basket" tradition SUCKS. Nothing like having the entire crowd SIT DOWN 30 seconds into the game. Whose idea was that?

Agreed 100%. An absolutely horrible tradition. I can understand why uconn has so many slow starts.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
As a former UConn student, I think Duke has us beat in creativity in terms of student section...

Reaction Score
As a former UConn student, I think Duke has us beat in creativity in terms of student section...

Duke probably has the best student section in college basketball. I wonder how much that has to do with the student body compared to where they get to sit. Probably a fair share of both.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The number one change I would make would be to have the students sitting in the first 5 rows all the way around the court. I realize it's a money making business so we have to have courtside seats for the donors and all that, but Duke's setup is so sweet.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Gampel sucks if you are over 5-6 or more than 150 pounds. Very uncomfortable seating if you don't have a chairback.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I wish they would expand and add 2,000-4,000 more seats. I also wished we had more traditions like...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was behind the basket, lower student section for the first ever game at Gampel. Unfortunately, it's not close to the best place I've seen college hoops. Wide aisles make it seem less crowded and students should be behind both baskets.

The Huskies are my #1, but after three years in law school at Kansas, I can say that Gampel doesn't really compare. Not as loud, not as many students. Student sections at Allen FH stand the whole game. They make noise all game. The place is old and the whole building shakes. Awesome place to watch a game.

Adding link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRQo-46wnS0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Reaction Score
Nova game last year was pretty loud. The game where Kemba hit the runner at the end to win it. The student section was as loud as ever. The general admission fans kept it from making it an all time crowd. So i guess the general admission fans aren't as good as other schools because big donors get prime tickets? What other reasons are there? Most fans sit the entire game except when the student section basically demands that they stand. Literally chanting "stand up gampel".

Reaction Score
I wish they would expand and add 2,000-4,000 more seats. I also wished we had more traditions like...

No reason there couldn't be.

Stop settling for the played-out "(opposing player name announced)....SUCKS" bit. The students will drive it and if they keep it up with enough energy, it will catch on.

"Be the change you want to see."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nova game last year was pretty loud. The game where Kemba hit the runner at the end to win it. The student section was as loud as ever. The general admission fans kept it from making it an all time crowd. So i guess the general admission fans aren't as good as other schools because big donors get prime tickets? What other reasons are there? Most fans sit the entire game except when the student section basically demands that they stand. Literally chanting "stand up gampel".

Our student section at BB games is pretty lame. When they start the Stand Up Gampel, I sit down. Stick to taunting the other teams you weenies. The best fans at Gampel are in the upper level, the side without the chairbacks. Those are the true UConn BB fans, it's always full and loud.

Reaction Score

From there on out, it was the loudest and craziest I have ever seen Gampel. Awesome game.

For my take on it? The vibe there was more from us being an underdog.

The best game I've ever seen there was 1995, UConn (#2) vs. Syracuse (#6). 15-0 vs 14-2. Syracuse's first trip ever to Gampel. Ray with 31, including 19 in the second half. ESPN game, Vitale (in his heyday) in the house.

Just seemed then like we were still fighting to be recognized and scrapping games like this like a bunch of junkyard dogs.

Reaction Score
I agree that the student section is weak in a lot of games. There are about 20 people who consistently jump up and down when the team's on defense and the rest just stare as if they don't really know what is truly going on. However, the general admission fans for the most part are horrendous. My one observation is the lack of alumni in their 20s and 30s. It seems the general admission are old people who don't have the energy to cheer and families who are going to the game for something to do, but aren't passionate about the team. These are just general observations though. I'mcurious if others see the same thing or have other explanations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom