I know it's only one video, but was &^#@ crazier in the 90's? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I know it's only one video, but was &^#@ crazier in the 90's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
no offense to anyone here but i also see A LOT of senior citizens at uconn games in some of the best seats in the house.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
uconn needs to to at least put the students behind both baskets or at least first 3 rows along the benches... it would help if the crowd would be more into it, a lot more into it

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Nova game last year was pretty loud. The game where Kemba hit the runner at the end to win it. The student section was as loud as ever. The general admission fans kept it from making it an all time crowd. So i guess the general admission fans aren't as good as other schools because big donors get prime tickets? What other reasons are there? Most fans sit the entire game except when the student section basically demands that they stand. Literally chanting "stand up gampel".

Reaction Score

Looks like it's nuts in there! Are today's games in Gampel as exciting as the one in this video? Is Gampel one of the best places to watch a college basketball game in the country? Is there anything UConn could do to make Gampel more exciting/intimidating/generally better?

Dream Season, 1st ever game at Gampel, getting our first taste of Big East supremacy.........great times, great memories!

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
My whole point is, UConn could be doing better in terms of atmosphere. I've been in the student section and it's fair at best, but we lack the tradition that some of the 'elite' schools possess. I do think atmosphere is involved in whether a program should be considered 'elite'. Hell, I think atmosphere plays a role in recruiting; a recruit is definitely going to be more impressed if they go to Phog Allen or Cameroon Indoor than Gampel (not to say it plays a huge role in recruitment). Obviously, I know finances drive this whole thing, but improving Gampel and a stronger commitment from the student section could help the university in the long run IMHO.

Reaction Score
Beyond the first couple rows, give or take depending on how important the game is, the student section tends to be somewhat horrendous. If you're a "good fan" but can't get to the game at the very early time required to be up front, it's hard to get into it and make noise among the dullards.

Reaction Score
The split between the hardcore fans and the general student body is the reason why the student section seems so dead. The hardcores are obviously the fans that camp out, stand the entire game, jump around, make noise, etc. The issue with this is that the hardcore fans are a small group of fans that act with an air of snobbery towards the general student section. Its almost like the hardcores look down on the general student population because they aren't hardcore fans, but that isn't a practical realization either. This all started when the Husky Hardcores group was formed, which was supposed to bridge the gap between the full fledged supporters of UConn sports teams and those casual fans. Instead, it only formed a stronger bond between those full fledged fans and distanced themselves from the average student fan.

Because of this split, you can clearly see the split between the "elitist" hardcores at the front and the general students who resent the hardcore fans farther back in the student section, showing up late, and not jumping around/making noise. Its almost like the general student body will act as the anti-hardcore fans by not camping out, using body paint, showing up just before the game, leaving early, etc.

I think an effort to bridge the gap between the hardcore and general students would go along way to making the student section that much more effective

Reaction Score
Honestly I think it's just that the non-hardcore fans don't jump and don't chant very much that they're "looked down upon". It doesn't seem to me like a response to the hardcore fans, they just suck because they're not into it.

Reaction Score
I think sometimes the crowd gets a bad rap. Generally when we watch games at other big time programs, we are watching big, nationally televised games. So of course the atmospheres are really good. Can't compare them to UConn-Stonybrook at noon on a saturday. Not that dook doesnt have a great home court, but i know ive read coach k complaining about empty seats in the student section for early season games the last few years. A lot of the stuff we complain about happens everywhere. For big games the crowd is loud, especially at Gampel. I can't imagine a better atmosphere than the Texas game 2 years ago. I think Gampel compares fine with most of the other big time programs, its difficult to really rank them though.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Last year, I took it upon myself to stay in the back few rows of the lower student section to try to keep those kids jumping and yelling and hitting the chairs in front of them. Pretty sad that a program like ours can't have fans that jump and yell beyond the first 5-8 rows. Hopefully this year is different thanks to fans like us getting normally complacent fans super into it. I heard first night was the biggest it's ever been and I hope that's a good indicator of what to expect this year. Cuse is our main competition this year for the conference championship so when they come here I really hope it's gonna get crazy. Cuse games usually are.

Also, I agree with the KU comments. When they're on tv and they show the rows of students with their arms around each other swaying back and forth gives ME chills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom