I know, I know...we don't trust the "insiders"...but.. | The Boneyard

I know, I know...we don't trust the "insiders"...but..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
You know who tweeted...

"Delaney presented some information on demographics, ratings, and market penetration that was compiled by a market research firm."

and...

"Uconn was the surprise school that opened a lot of eyes. They creamed BC in every major category.Other than ND, Uconn owns NYC in bball"

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's about time that people start to learn the value we can add.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That's nice, but I'd rather hear it from somewhere else, otherwise I figure that person is saying things we want to hear on order to get attention from our fanbase.

Reaction Score
That's nice, but I'd rather hear it from somewhere else, otherwise I figure that person is saying things we want to hear on order to get attention from our fanbase.

If we can gain some street cred in B10 expansion chatter, at least the ACC and its fanbase will take notice. UConn needs an image makeover and is working hard at it now that UL took our spot. Any and all positive news, chatter etc. helps us imo.

Reaction Score
I saw that too. Clearly this is one consequence of the huge push on the academics/research/hiring of faculty/$2Bill investment, being undertaken by Herbst and Malloy. As Fishy said earlier, this is what a university is supposed to do anyway, but there will be positives tailing along in a lot of areas. Hopefully, one of them is in CR.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Delany is smarter than the ACC bumpkins. Ergo, he'll extend a bid while the ACC has snubbed us thrice.

Reaction Score
Delany is smarter than the ACC bumpkins. Ergo, he'll extend a bid while the ACC has snubbed us thrice.

The problem is that this is some other Delan(e)y. He spells his name differently. And it may be his brother's research team that came up with that, since they seem to have concluded that ND is very popular for basketball in NYC.

Reaction Score
I ran a similiar study on UCONN vs Syracuse with the exact same results. Wake up America.

Reaction Score
If we can gain some street cred in B10 expansion chatter, at least the ACC and its fanbase will take notice. UConn needs an image makeover and is working hard at it now that UL took our spot. Any and all positive news, chatter etc. helps us imo.

Who gives a flying crap about the ACC? OK, it's our "safety school." I get that. But it's not where we should be focused. Louisville took our spot indeed. That spot wasn't going to us no matter what charade Herbst/Manuel deputies pantomimed in North Carolina. We didn't go to the ACC not because the ACC didn't want us (as everyone seems to assume), but because we don't want them.

Forget Louisville, Pitt and Cuse go and Rutgers and we stay home? Seriously? On what planet does that make sense? Uranus? The ACC takes a pass on twenty-f#cking-million people living in greater New York in order to make a play for the Finger Lakes and the confluence of the Allegheny and the Monongahela? Not bloddy likely. The ACC passed on UConn and Rutgers because they knew (or strongly believed) the B1G was preparing to move on the northeast. Once B1G's suspected intentions were confirmed (Rutgers and Maryland), the ACC took a second pass on us rather than even trying to leverage their BC/Cuse properties in the region by adding us.

We haven't been an ACC target for the same reason Georgia or Florida haven't, for the same reason Rutgers never was. We're not available to them and they know it.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Who gives a flying crap about the ACC? OK, it's our "safety school." I get that. But it's not where we should be focused. Louisville took our spot indeed. That spot wasn't going to us no matter what charade Herbst/Manuel deputies pantomimed in North Carolina. We didn't go to the ACC not because the ACC didn't want us (as everyone seems to assume), but because we don't want them.

Forget Louisville, Pitt and Cuse go and Rutgers and we stay home? Seriously? On what planet does that make sense? Uranus? The ACC takes a pass on twenty-f#cking-million people living in greater New York in order to make a play for the Finger Lakes and the confluence of the Allegheny and the Monongahela? Not bloddy likely. The ACC passed on UConn and Rutgers because they knew (or strongly believed) the B1G was preparing to move on the northeast. Once B1G's suspected intentions were confirmed (Rutgers and Maryland), the ACC took a second pass on us rather than even trying to leverage their BC/Cuse properties in the region by adding us.

We haven't been an ACC target for the same reason Georgia or Florida haven't, for the same reason Rutgers never was. We're not available to them and they know it.

YEA AND FRUCK THE ACC!!!!!

Reaction Score
I have had similar suspicions for some time. I really do believe that the ACC didnt offer UConn because of fear of them saying no thanks. Also, I suspect that Aresco is not allowing our hoops team to play in this year's BE tournament because he too has known for some time that UConn is on its way out.

Reaction Score
I have had similar suspicions for some time. I really do believe that the ACC didnt offer UConn because of fear of them saying no thanks. Also, I suspect that Aresco is not allowing our hoops team to play in this year's BE tournament because he too has known for some time that UConn is on its way out.

This is dumb. Uconn begged for an ACC offer.

Reaction Score
This is you know who's way of getting UConn people to continue to read his tweets. He does this, he floats information that's potentially positive to just about everyone from time to time to increase the number of people who keep coming back and checking to see if he's given more information about their school.

Said insider also floated a rumor, albeit one he said he did not necessarily believe himself, that Nebraska was at risk of getting booted from the B1G for academic reasons. That should be all you need to know about his credibility.

Reaction Score
Also, I suspect that Aresco is not allowing our hoops team to play in this year's BE tournament because he too has known for some time that UConn is on its way out.
You do know Aresco is a UConn alum?

Reaction Score
You know who tweeted...

"Delaney presented some information on demographics, ratings, and market penetration that was compiled by a market research firm."

and...

"Uconn was the surprise school that opened a lot of eyes. They creamed BC in every major category.Other than ND, Uconn owns NYC in bball"

I don't know if this is true, but it rings true. There's one TV market in the top 50 that is not "spoken for" by a big-5 conference. Hartford-New Haven is 30th, and you can add to that a chunk of the Metro NY market (SNY). And UConn gets many more eyeballs in this market than those in "soft" markets (like Boston).

Reaction Score
You do know Aresco is a UConn alum?

I also know that not only would it be in the BE's best interest to include this team in their conference tournament, between the way Coach Ollie and this team carries itself both on the court and in the classroom, it would be a very easy sell to those in the BE and beyond. So why was he so quick to say no?

Reaction Score
I don't know if this is true, but it rings true. There's one TV market in the top 50 that is not "spoken for" by a big-5 conference. Hartford-New Haven is 30th, and you can add to that a chunk of the Metro NY market (SNY). And UConn gets many more eyeballs in this market than those in "soft" markets (like Boston).
Boston isn't necessarily a soft market, at least not in the way I think you're referring to it. For college football and basketball, BC, UConn, and straggling ND fans are really the only game in town. It's not like NYC where there's multiple other schools with large alumni bases and big athletic programs. The problem here is, there aren't that many people who really care much about college football or basketball to begin with, both are massively overshadowed by the pros, and the population isn't large enough like in NYC, where there's enough people who casually watch it to make up for that interest gap.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My assumption would be to appease other schools. Can't burn bridges.

Plus, if your conspiracy kitty tinfoil hat is on, he knows we won't be in a league he is responsible for much longer, so he's got to work for the folks that hired him and will still be in the league.

Reaction Score
This is dumb. Uconn begged for an ACC offer.

Did they? I really appeared strange to me how unconcerned the leadership at the university was that Louisville was selected ahead of us. I wondered if there was something beneath the surface there beyond what was reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom