I Just Want to talk BBALL | The Boneyard

I Just Want to talk BBALL

Reaction Score
Typically I'm pretty quiet. I'm mostly a lurker and an occasional poster during the season; more so during the tournament. However, after reading threads about transfers (AEH specifically) and threads criticizing the program (Geno especially) and threads criticizing play, I think it's getting to me.

If a player come to UCONN and they want to transfer then fine. That is their option and I always wish them well. There is no need for the player or the school to comment otherwise. UCONN is not for everyone, and certainly not for the faint of heart.

Likewise, Geno is not for everyone. However, after all this time he certainly can't be a mystery to the fans or to players in high school looking to be recruited to top tier programs. He is what he is. If you're not willing to work hard don't accept the scholarship. If you're homesick - fine. I get that. If you're not cut out for the level of play - no big deal. Go to a program where you'll get playing time and grow. But there is no need for players or fans to denigrate Geno in the process.

Like it or not there is a specific culture here at UCONN. just like there was a TN in their heyday. No one questioned Pat Summit and how she coached so I don't really understand why now all the questioning of Geno. Are 11 Championships not enough? What will be enough?

These players do their best. Yes, they get scholarships and a nice education, but they work for it. They work hard for it. They play through injuries, studying and personal issues we know nothing about (nor should we). Can't we all just get back to discussing basketball? I'm not targeting anyone personally. It's just the nature of the threads I'm seeing, and the comments within them.

I am not perfect either, and I'm not claiming to be. I just feel like I'm seeing an uptick in criticism of a Geno and why students transfer. I feel we as fans can't begin to know even a fraction of what goes on behind the scenes.

Reaction Score
Typically I'm pretty quiet. I'm mostly a lurker and an occasional poster during the season; more so during the tournament. However, after reading threads about transfers (AEH specifically) and threads criticizing the program (Geno especially) and threads criticizing play, I think it's getting to me.

If a player come to UCONN and they want to transfer then fine. That is their option and I always wish them well. There is no need for the player or the school to comment otherwise. UCONN is not for everyone, and certainly not for the faint of heart.

Likewise, Geno is not for everyone. However, after all this time he certainly can't be a mystery to the fans or to players in high school looking to be recruited to top tier programs. He is what he is. If you're not willing to work hard don't accept the scholarship. If you're homesick - fine. I get that. If you're not cut out for the level of play - no big deal. Go to a program where you'll get playing time and grow. But there is no need for players or fans to denigrate Geno in the process.

Like it or not there is a specific culture here at UCONN. just like there was a TN in their heyday. No one questioned Pat Summit and how she coached so I don't really understand why now all the questioning of Geno. Are 11 Championships not enough? What will be enough?

These players do their best. Yes, they get scholarships and a nice education, but they work for it. They work hard for it. They play through injuries, studying and personal issues we know nothing about (nor should we). Can't we all just get back to discussing basketball? I'm not targeting anyone personally. It's just the nature of the threads I'm seeing, and the comments within them.

I am not perfect either, and I'm not claiming to be. I just feel like I'm seeing an uptick in criticism of a Geno and why students transfer. I feel we as fans can't begin to know even a fraction of what goes on behind the scenes.
Excellent post. I think this board would benefit from more of your comments and input.

Reaction Score

\

I agree with most of what you write. Everyone should have the right to be wrong. Every kid should be able to transfer without a media event being made of it--SHOULD is the key word. A kid does not need a reason to transfer, at least not one given to the public.
Geno is an adult (without the limitations of the kids ), he is the person in charge, the buck stops with him ==it is his job to get the kids to do as they are directed, in basketball.
Even Geno should have the right to be wrong--and voice his opinions.
Pat Summit had problems with her teams--remember her locking the team out of the locker room?? Pat Summit had kids that transferred. Pat had some verbal, media reported events, neither are perfect.
Absolutely do I agree these kids EARN their scholarships--down to the last one on the bench. Being a top 10 WBB team is WORK, add school work, travel, injuries--it's among the hardest and most demanding--they earn those scholarships, make no mistake.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Transfers, recruiting, and substitutions are still "basketball". We are not, for example, talking about how Geno goes about stocking his wine cellar or manages his restaurants. In my time on the boneyard I have not seen an adequate post that can challenge Geno on the Xs and Os of basketball, nor do I EVER expect to. I have seen several posts here that have challenged (critiqued) some of the things that Geno has said and how he has handled certain situations. Those critiques are fair in my mind. Each BY is free to agree or disagree with the critique. The words @GoUconn7961 used is "denigrate Geno" and frankly I do not see that being done very much here.

That we as fans know very little about what goes on behind the scenes and at practice makes UCONN no different from any other program. The 11 UCONN Nationals Championships is amazingly distinctive but not nearly as distinctive as the pillar of the program and the process of striving to improve every day and get # 12. Reasoned critique is essential towards that process. Reasoned critique results in an outcome that says " you know what I could have handled that better". That process includes Geno and it also includes all of us as fans.

Reaction Score
Transfers, recruiting, and substitutions are still "basketball". We are not, for example, talking about how Geno goes about stocking his wine cellar or manages his restaurants. In my time on the boneyard I have not seen an adequate post that can challenge Geno on the Xs and Os of basketball, nor do I EVER expect to. I have seen several posts here that have challenged (critiqued) some of the things that Geno has said and how he has handled certain situations. Those critiques are fair in my mind. Each BY is free to agree or disagree with the critique. The words @GoUconn7961 used is "denigrate Geno" and frankly I do not see that being done very much here.

That we as fans know very little about what goes on behind the scenes and at practice makes UCONN no different from any other program. The 11 UCONN Nationals Championships is amazingly distinctive but not nearly as distinctive as the pillar of the program and the process of striving to improve every day and get # 12. Reasoned critique is essential towards that process. Reasoned critique results in an outcome that says " you know what I could have handled that better". That process includes Geno and it also includes all of us as fans.

This was just a tad better than excellent. I particularly liked the highlighted above.
Fans, BY or otherwise, what they do is second guess, critique. Typically it is meaningless, most "smart" coaches and their staffs ignore that foolishness. A forum as the Boneyard is about OPINIONs. If it were about FACTS and Precise decision making--there would be a charge for those services.
A good Forum where one is free to express their opinion is good and works well when all participating understand these are opinions, take them or leave them.
Coco--few if any have offered advice directly to Geno probably to avoid his wrath. I have. While I still have my head--I tend to carry it in my arms. No one really enjoys their life's work being critiqued--I don't belong to the club of "constructive criticism" is a good thing.

Reaction Score

Appreciate your thoughts. I think most would agree. One strategy to consider is for readers to ignore comments they deem of little value. Responding can, under some circumstances, simply increase attention better directed elsewhere. If you disapproves of the general tenor of a thread, one easy solution: start another that shifts the focus onto something positive! You get enough people doing that, and the naysayers are eventually drowned out.

Reaction Score
Appreciate your thoughts. I think most would agree. One strategy to consider is for readers to ignore comments they deem of little value. Responding can, under some circumstances, simply increase attention better directed elsewhere. If you disapproves of the general tenor of a thread, one easy solution: start another that shifts the focus onto something positive! You get enough people doing that, and the naysayers are eventually drowned out.

Let's not drown out anyone. This is a place for diverse opinions. People who say silly things will be called out; they should not be drowned out. The notion that everything has to be spun into something positive is IMO silly. The progress of a bb season is about ups and downs, pleasure and pain, accomplishment and falling short. That's life; that's as it should be. Gratuitous negativity aside, let everyone have his/her say.

Reaction Score

If there are some posters that bother you, just put them on ignore. I'm with you to an extent. I think most of the complaints are without merit. But that doesn't mean all are. It would be boring if there was no critique. You need to hear some. But I'm with you overall - for an example a poster believed he thought Geno needs to change his style. In the last 5 years UCONN haswon 4 straight tiles - won 111 straight - lost one game throughout the season during a year that UCONN should have been rebuilding on a last second shot in overtime - yet - "he needs to change?"

And then the posts that he is going to start losing recruits. Well- he has lost recruits for a long time. Yet he has won championships for a long time and as of right now he continues to get the top tier recruits. While winning championships. So he needs to change? Yeah okay. . .

As for your title - talking about basketball - imo here is a point -- if he/UCONN starts to lose and a team or two that starts to beat UCONN with some type of regularity while the conference remains bad-- that's one sign he'll start losing elite recruits on a consistent basis. Yet we hear from some posters who think it's okay "to coach to lose" during the regular season "in hopes" that the young kid you gave minutes to in the game you lost will play big in that potential next NCAA Tournament game that comes down to the wire. I find that thinking extremely wrong.

Reaction Score
I think my main point was the general increase of posts bent on what feels like more than critiquing.
I am all for an open forum where our views are appreciated - I just think the tone has been more harsh than usual lately. Yes, my title may not be correct - I couldn't think of anything else at the time. Sorry.. :)

I appreciate all of you reading my post.

Thank you.

Anita

Reaction Score
Let's not drown out anyone. This is a place for diverse opinions. People who say silly things will be called out; they should not be drowned out. The notion that everything has to be spun into something positive is IMO silly. The progress of a bb season is about ups and downs, pleasure and pain, accomplishment and falling short. That's life; that's as it should be. Gratuitous negativity aside, let everyone have his/her say.
It is a truism that if one believes in freedom of speech, then one certainly believes in the freedom of others to say things that one doesn’t like. But I don’t think everything that one doesn’t like warrants a response. My hope is that others feel the same. That does not stop anyone from saying what they want, and I would hope that they do. It’s just that the burden is on them to convince me (and others) that whatever they are saying is worth a response. If as a result of all that someone is “drowned out”, then they should either convince us that they are worth listening too, or move on to something else.

Reaction Score
I think one of the major points of how and why this team is so successful over such a protracted period is getting lost.
Geno and the coaches coach for excellence and don't accept less. Geno has demonstrated that excellence and beyond so many times it can't be counted. But I'm sure he often had a lot to say to the best three players here in Diana, Maya and Stewie. Their greatness didn't preclude them from criticism and improvement. Even though none of us in any way exceeds Geno's basketball knowledge and that of working with people (which he does extremely well most of the time), he still is human and can still learn and make mistakes. I'm sure there are and have been times when he's heard criticism and had to re-think something he did. He can, as can anyone else refuse to truly think and feel something through. Most of the time that works out, in very few others not as much. Again, it's the same as his players. If they don't adjust to the expectations they don't play. If he doesn't adjust occasionally maybe there will ultimately be consequences. I don't think it will ever reach a point where he / they don't get a good % of those they truly want.
Personally in the loss to MSU last year I don't feel they did their best preparation and coaching. Clearly a team can have an off day or off plays(which they did), but they didn't adjust quickly or fully enough to the defensive pressure MSU presented.
I guess my main (and as usual long winded) response is even he is not perfect, and can be questioned. Of course those comments or criticisms include some reasonable ones and others not so much!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I think one of the major points of how and why this team is so successful over such a protracted period is getting lost.
Geno and the coaches coach for excellence and don't accept less. Geno has demonstrated that excellence and beyond so many times it can't be counted. But I'm sure he often had a lot to say to the best three players here in Diana, Maya and Stewie. Their greatness didn't preclude them from criticism and improvement. Even though none of us in any way exceeds Geno's basketball knowledge and that of working with people (which he does extremely well most of the time), he still is human and can still learn and make mistakes. I'm sure there are and have been times when he's heard criticism and had to re-think something he did. He can, as can anyone else refuse to truly think and feel something through. Most of the time that works out, in very few others not as much. Again, it's the same as his players. If they don't adjust to the expectations they don't play. If he doesn't adjust occasionally maybe there will ultimately be consequences. I don't think it will ever reach a point where he / they don't get a good % of those they truly want.
Personally in the loss to MSU last year I don't feel they did their best preparation and coaching. Clearly a team can have an off day or off plays(which they did), but they didn't adjust quickly or fully enough to the defensive pressure MSU presented.
I guess my main (and as usual long winded) response is even he is not perfect, and can be questioned. Of course those comments or criticisms include some reasonable ones and others not so much!
Bronx23

I get your point and my reply is not meant to detract from it. This is a board to share thoughts as fans and it would be boring if every thread is how great every coach and player is all the time. In fact one could argue that it is counter culture of Geno himself to do so.

However, like some point out about posters making statements without having information (myself included,) how would you know how they prepared and did not do a good job doing so? They won 100+ games in a row and when they lose in OT on a last second shot its the coaches fault?

Is it possible the team (PLAYERS) did not meet the challenge? Not blaming anyone but Pheesa missed some of the easiest shots right at the rim. They went over a play at the end and Sonya went completely rogue by ignoring the running of the play and going right to the rim and leaving to much time on the clock. These were not "preparing or coaching." Sometimes the players lose a game. To be honest, I was nervous the game was going to get away for us and the fact we were in a position to win with less than 30 secs left was amazing in itself because I thought our team (the players) were outplayed.

Again, agree with your general point but wanted to share a counter view about the MSST game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think 20 is nice round number. That will be enough for me. Then I'll be like, you know let someone else win for once.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I encourage not prolonging threads that should have died a long time ago, like the AEH one. Every time someone posts, the damned thing pops to the top of the board, rising over and over like a ghoul. I hate locking threads so it’s still up but I do wish it - and others of its ilk - would just die already.

On edit - folks should start new threads that align with their interests. That would help balance out the board with a wider variety of topics and perspectives, which are always welcome.

Reaction Score
I think my main point was the general increase of posts bent on what feels like more than critiquing.
I am all for an open forum where our views are appreciated - I just think the tone has been more harsh than usual lately. Yes, my title may not be correct - I couldn't think of anything else at the time. Sorry.. :)

I appreciate all of you reading my post.

Thank you.

Anita

You are observing typical human behavior..............when UConn is winning and playing well there is very little to criticize but when the team plays some less then stellar ball you are going to hear about it here............same goes for recruiting...............when UConn gets all of the recruits that are in play we are happy campers but when a recruit ends up at an "inferior" program we will not handle it well...............and God forgive if a UConn player wants to leave the fold................that's just plain insulting to us..................I plead guilty to all of these emotions as I think the vast majority of BY readers do..........

Reaction Score
I encourage not prolonging threads that should have died a long time ago, like the AEH one. Every time someone posts, the damned thing pops to the top of the board, rising over and over like a ghoul. I hate locking threads so it’s still up but I do wish it - and others of its ilk - would just die already.
Sorry to have upset you Nan..

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sorry to have upset you Nan..
You haven’t upset me at all - I’m sorry if I gave you that impression. This thread is fine, as are all the other surviving ones. That doesn’t mean I don’t get exasperated with some of them, like the AEH thread. It’s, you know -

387D9D1C-E40F-4E39-BF65-8DA4E21CF817.jpeg

Reaction Score

On edit - folks should start new threads that align with their interests. That would help balance out the board with a wider variety of topics and perspectives, which are always welcome.

And I, for one, wish you'd lock out threads when you feel that way. I trust your judgment.

Reaction Score
You haven’t upset me at all - I’m sorry if I gave you that impression. This thread is fine, as are all the other surviving ones. That doesn’t mean I don’t get exasperated with some of them, like the AEH thread. It’s, you know -

View attachment 28130

Gotcha! LOL. Great image...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And I, for one, wish you'd lock out threads when you feel that way. I trust your judgment.
We try really hard not to do that, preferring to prune out posts that are clearly over the line. I may not agree with or like the topics in a thread but unless they go too far, I do nothing.

Reaction Score
You are observing typical human behavior....when UConn is winning and playing well there is very little to criticize but when the team plays some less then stellar ball you are going to hear about it here..same goes for recruiting.....when UConn gets all of the recruits that are in play we are happy campers but when a recruit ends up at an "inferior" program we will not handle it well.....and God forgive if a UConn player wants to leave the fold......that's just plain insulting to us...I plead guilty to all of these emotions as I think the vast majority of BY readers do.....

Beg to differ. Not "typical human behavior". Respectfully don't agree with any of the reactions you ascribe in the back half of your post as typical to "the vast majority". I believe you're projecting your reactions to the majority, and I simply don't buy it. By all means speak for yourself, but unless you've conducted a poll of the rest of us, might be better to leave "us" out of the your conjecture. No offense intended.

Reaction Score
I get your point and my reply is not meant to detract from it. This is a board to share thoughts as fans and it would be boring if every thread is how great every coach and player is all the time. In fact one could argue that it is counter culture of Geno himself to do so.

However, like some point out about posters making statements without having information (myself included,) how would you know how they prepared and did not do a good job doing so? They won 100+ games in a row and when they lose in OT on a last second shot its the coaches fault?

Is it possible the team (PLAYERS) did not meet the challenge? Not blaming anyone but Pheesa missed some of the easiest shots right at the rim. They went over a play at the end and Sonya went completely rogue by ignoring the running of the play and going right to the rim and leaving to much time on the clock. These were not "preparing or coaching." Sometimes the players lose a game. To be honest, I was nervous the game was going to get away for us and the fact we were in a position to win with less than 30 secs left was amazing in itself because I thought our team (the players) were outplayed.

Again, agree with your general point but wanted to share a counter view about the MSST game.
I agree with your comments Los24 that much of the time it's the players ultimately play and responsibility. And yes, Pheesa missed a lot of shots she usually makes. And also they fought back hard to even get back in the game. All that said they fell further behind than almost they ever do. They also caught up by late in 3rd period or early 4th and never could take control. I think some of that is most games were hardly competitive. I know Geno repeatedly saw their vulnerabilities and repeatedly questioned their still being untested and undefeated. But just as a lot of the credit goes to Geno and the coaching staff so should some of the responsibility and review for bettering the future. Also clearly Saniya didn't follow the play and timing drawn up, but she was entrusted with that responsibility. Much of that is on her but not all.
Bronx23

Reaction Score

I agree with many of your points, & might add another idea about the Miss. State game. My opinion, which is worth exactly what it’s costing you to get it, is that when you win a majority of your games in a comfortable fashion, when players get thrown into a pressure situation in an environment they aren’t at ease in (final four), when they miss a couple of easy shots their tendency is to start rushing everything. That usually leads to the snowball rolling down the hill getting bigger and going faster as the game progresses. This might explain some of the easy misses, and the results of the final offensive possession.

I had an assistant coach tell me once when our team was in a similar situation that it wouldn’t make any difference if we had 20 timeouts because the players were in a trance, and it wasn’t going to change until the game ended, and they relaxed. I’m not saying this 100% accurate because I wasn’t privy to what the coaches were, but it had a lot of the earmarks of those emotions. JMO

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm a UConn fan. I'm also an adult. I believe in a person's right to express their opinion regardless if others like it or agree with it or not. Sometimes other posters take it upon themselves to fervently let a poster know that they disagree with their comment(s), and proceed to tell them why they are wrong. I've read several comments here lately from visitors that say they are either very careful of what they write or comment on, so as not to offend or incur the wrath of other posters, or simply do not post at all.

People who say silly things will be called out;
My question is why? Why must people be called out if they post something that is perceived to be "silly" ? Who determines what is silly and what isn't.? I've also read comments from others recently that because of this tendency by some of the more aggressive posters that have anointed/appointed themselves
"gate keepers" of the Boneyard, they have resorted to being nothing more than lurkers to avoid argument/confrontation and frustration.

I really like Connie's suggestion/position of "IGNORING" comments we feel are not worthy of our consideration or response. I have 20 people on my ignore list, making visits to the yard much more enjoyable. I don't miss them. I strongly endorse the use of the ignore feature. Connie: "But I don’t think everything that one doesn't like warrants a response. My hope is that others feel the same. That does not stop anyone from saying what they want, and I would hope that they do. It’s just that the burden is on them to convince me (and others) that whatever they are saying is worth a response."

I agree with Connie's comment. I read most of the comments posted here daily. I only respond to a scant few of them. Some I agree with, some I don't. I simply move on to the next comment. I don't feel the need to convince a poster they're wrong if their take (opinions) is different from mine. Everyone here is grown. We're old and set in our ways (and way of thinking). It would take Divine inspiration to get us to change our minds about anything. Nobody likes being told how or what to think, so why try? If you wish to "debate" differences of opinion, that's fine. I respect and encourage that. But to call someone out, or tell them their opinion or take is wrong, is a form of bullying. We've all seen it. There is a fine line between having a "debate", and bulling. I enjoy reading the thoughts and opinions of others. That's one of the reasons I come here daily. It doesn't mean I have to agree with them.

Moderator JS writes: (excerpts) "All depends on how one does it. People who point out that something is inaccurate or false, and why, do everyone a service and make for a better board. Some people are good at it. Others may be coming from a different place. The key is to deliver one's critique civilly. "Dumb" and "silly" are pejoratives that can be wielded in an uncivil manner amounting to a personal attack.

Whatever one may be thinking, if uncivil "hit words" or personal ridicule are actually used in reference to another's post it's going to attract our attention. We've had individuals who were masters at thinly disguising their personal attacks as "attacking the post, not the poster."

There are people, though, who enjoy confrontation. People who enjoy putting other people down. People who really would like to run those whose attitudes they don't like off the board. People like that (a small but sometimes prominent minority) don't mind if their aggressiveness intimidates some lurkers or visitors into not posting, or provokes others into pissing matches, either way to the detriment of the board.

We do mind. But if one's aggressive methods cross into incivility, we will take steps of our choosing to remedy the situation. Policing the board to make it work, as nearly as possible, for everyone is our job, not the job of self-appointed Posting Police. We won't tolerate vigilantism"

I've changed my opinion on some issues because a poster(s) shared some information that I did not have previously. Opinions are formed on facts and/or information, or the lack thereof. It's funny how opinions can change when some missing "gaps" are filled in. There are two sides to every story and several views or perspectives on any given issue. Sometimes we only hear one side. Sometimes, like Will Rogers, all we know is what we read in the newspapers (or here in the yard). Fans that habitually challenge Geno's actions might change their opinions if they knew HIS reason(s) or thinking behind those actions.

On the current episode of The Geno Auriemma Show, he says that he's really upset about the "tone and tenor" of some of the correspondence he's been getting lately. He said " these people have no idea what they're talking about". Everyone here knows or has met someone who thought or thinks they know everything about everything. You can't argue with them. You can't tell them anything, and you sure aren't going to change their mind, because they're right, and you're wrong.................period!! :mad:

Being longtime fans of a program that as Quentin Hillsman said: "Has forgotten how to lose", has made some of us very cynical and critical. We take winning for granted here. If UConn loses, or comes close to losing, the critics come bailing out of the woodwork. As one poster wrote recently, "UConn wins 111 games in a row, they lose a game by 2 points in overtime, and he thinks Geno should make some changes immediately".

We were all upset and disillusioned after the Mississippi State loss, some more than others. We all read the comments posted immediately following the game. Some complimentary, some appreciative for the wonderful 38-1 record they achieved, and the entertainment they provided for us during the season, some not. Many were very critical, which I didn't have a problem with if that was their opinion.

There will NEVER be a time or topic we will ALL agree on. I'm not suggesting that we do. I've made some "factual" erroneous comments that were corrected by others, which I later thanked them for. It's hard for some to just be fans of the program, and support the players and staff regardless of the outcome. This is WCBB here. It's not life or death.

Since no one or no program is "perfect", and I do enjoy watching women's college basketball played at its finest, I'll just continue to enjoy following the UConn women on their quest to win more national championships, reading the comments here, and taking them both at face value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
It's hard to just be fans of the program, and support the players and staff regardless of the outcome.

Not for me. I enjoy watching the process, the development of the teams & players. The outcome is whatever it is. I'll admit it's comforting knowing the girls are likely to win most of their games and get to the NCAAs, but I just love watching them play the game - even when they're less than perfection.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom