I just saw the PC game. | The Boneyard

I just saw the PC game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember reading here that the technical was a major factor in our defeat, that Blaney did not call time outs to stem the tide, and that we had Olander in the game when Oriaki should have been in. In my opinion none of these things decided the game. What did was a bunch of undefended threes, the most egregious of which was the inbounds play with one second on the clock.

Agree?

caw

Reaction Score
Ummm, in a word, no.

The threes of course were how PC got their points, but Blaney did nothing to adjust the defense or offense during that run. There were quite a few things he could have done. One of which was to make sure UConn slowed the game down when up 14-12-10...etc.

The technical was a bad call and minus 2 points in a 2 point game. Not sure how that isn't big.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I remember reading here that the technical was a major factor in our defeat, that Blaney did not call time outs to stem the tide, and that we had Olander in the game when Oriaki should have been in. In my opinion none of these things decided the game. What did was a bunch of undefended threes, the most egregious of which was the inbounds play with one second on the clock. Agree?

No, not really.

There was no 'one thing'. It was a big casserole of suck and everything in the pot did its part to hand that game over to the dregs.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I also have finallynjustnwatched the end ofmthe game tonight and i agree with your points. Most posters were blaming TO and NG when they were actually scrapping out there.
Batts fouled the crap out of TO and threw in an extra shove on the tie-up with TO. The first two screens to free cotton were agregiously illegal...they would call holding in football on those screens!
NG did miss the open free badly but he was open, just rushed the shot...then he didn't get out on the next three but neither did the other three defenders who were under the hoop. Then NG hustled to get the next offensive rebound and attempted an ill-advised long pass out to SN, but SN may no effort to stop Council from picking it off, didn't hustle back on defense and then got his pocket picked on the next play, leading to another layup...then two plays later he clanked an ill-advised deep three and UConn quickly went from 10 up to down three.
Certainly not all Shabazz's fault...at that point the whole team mentally collapsed. JLamb was asleep at the switch all game.
That technical on AD was absolutely ridiculous....no reason at all for the ref to call that and a suspension for him should be considered...at a minimum he should have conferred with his colleagues. But we lost the game because we lost our poise

Reaction Score
I also have finallynjustnwatched the end ofmthe game tonight and i agree with your points. Most posters were blaming TO and NG when they were actually scrapping out there.
Batts fouled the crap out of TO and threw in an extra shove on the tie-up with TO. The first two screens to free cotton were agregiously illegal...they would call holding in football on those screens!
NG did miss the open free badly but he was open, just rushed the shot...then he didn't get out on the next three but neither did the other three defenders who were under the hoop. Then NG hustled to get the next offensive rebound and attempted an ill-advised long pass out to SN, but SN may no effort to stop Council from picking it off, didn't hustle back on defense and then got his pocket picked on the next play, leading to another layup...then two plays later he clanked an ill-advised deep three and UConn quickly went from 10 up to down three.
Certainly not all Shabazz's fault...at that point the whole team mentally collapsed. JLamb was asleep at the switch all game.
That technical on AD was absolutely ridiculous....no reason at all for the ref to call that and a suspension for him should be considered...at a minimum he should have conferred with his colleagues. But we lost the game because we lost our poise
I only saw from +14 to -3 and I think you nailed it. It hurts too much to watch.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
do these guys know TO & NG were on the court during that run that PC came back hitting those 3's? AO was on the bench? the T happened? and George never called a TO?

TO & NG were a team worse -9 when on the court. TO managed that in 5 minutes, it took NG 16 minutes

AO was a plus 16 in 20 minutes. Which begs the question, why only 20 minutes? We outscored PC 36-20 with AO on the court

what are people missing when they watch games? Every point they mock was spot on. I guess I can't blame them, George seemed to miss all that stuff too.

Reaction Score
The original post is wrong. Most of those threes were pretty well defended. We lost it by jacking up bad shots and showing no poise during the 23-5 run, and Blaney not stemming the tide or making an adjustment.

Reaction Score
Many reasons for the loss, but what strikes me is the over confidence when we built that lead. Bazz even stated that when you see PC on the schedule you mark it as a win. Guys were prematurely joking, laughing, and in one case focusing on a particular fan. Unfortunately that's a sign of basketball immaturity. You can't let up, lose focus or believe that the game is over before the final whistle. In summary a big reason we lost was because we have not learned the killer focus (or even how to win) when you have a sizable lead on a team.

Oh well; on to Pitt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits