I just have to say this... | The Boneyard

I just have to say this...

Reaction Score
After reading probably too many posts here, I just have to say how disappointed I am at how some people talk about these players. If you looooove this program so much, it should be more about these young women than anything. ESPECIALLY with everything going on, not a single person here has any idea what these kids are going through day-to-day and I'd expect grown adults not to talk about them like they are merely chess pieces to another championship. They are humans, like all of us...and they are YOUNG. It's fine to criticize plays or like "hopefully she works on that in the offseason" or whatever, but some of y'all have zero empathy.

So...stop for a minute and think about it. For a lot of us, we are very invested in this team and I get that comes with emotion, but be fair to the players. As others have alluded to, you can feel how much of a struggle CW is having right now. It's palpable and I'm sure she knows that. It does no good putting that negative energy out there. EW played a great game and I saw one person being like "well why didn't she show up for SC?" Seriously? We won't the game, she played great and you're going to put her down because she had a bad game, knowing that she's still playing basketball after a long layoff and playing under these circumstance.

Point being - we should try to be better.

Reaction Score
Good post. But you forgot a basic BY premise: the vast majority of posters appear to be a better coach than Geno and his staff. I agree that we should be able to voice our opinions and concerns, but to go on and on ad nauseum just gets old and serves no purpose. I think that is why the BY web designer gave us the Ignore option.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
These points you raised are the reason I have tried to stay away from the game time Chat room - posters seem downright hateful about the players and their performance. I sometimes will check in at halftime but I didn't do it for last night's game because I was too scared of what I would see.

Reaction Score
These points you raised are the reason I have tried to stay away from the game time Chat room - posters seem downright hateful about the players and their performance. I sometimes will check in at halftime but I didn't do it for last night's game because I was too scared of what I would see.
You were "too scared of what you would see"? Come on, being a little overly dramatic don't you think?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Probably a good choice, it was not the chat room's finest hour. OTOH, there are some knowledgeable and interesting posters in there that can talk about the game without engaging in personal attacks and character assassination. The trolls are too easy to put on ignore until the mods catch up to them.

Reaction Score
After reading probably too many posts here, I just have to say how disappointed I am at how some people talk about these players. If you looooove this program so much, it should be more about these young women than anything. ESPECIALLY with everything going on, not a single person here has any idea what these kids are going through day-to-day and I'd expect grown adults not to talk about them like they are merely chess pieces to another championship. They are humans, like all of us...and they are YOUNG. It's fine to criticize plays or like "hopefully she works on that in the offseason" or whatever, but some of y'all have zero empathy.

So...stop for a minute and think about it. For a lot of us, we are very invested in this team and I get that comes with emotion, but be fair to the players. As others have alluded to, you can feel how much of a struggle CW is having right now. It's palpable and I'm sure she knows that. It does no good putting that negative energy out there. EW played a great game and I saw one person being like "well why didn't she show up for SC?" Seriously? We won't the game, she played great and you're going to put her down because she had a bad game, knowing that she's still playing basketball after a long layoff and playing under these circumstance.

Great perspectives offered in your post. I don't think we mean to do it, but often we "commoditize" these young women simply into only as what they can and can not do on the court, and as your post comments on, we forget other aspects of their life. I don't think this is intentionally but when we speculate what they may or may not be going through, whether their injuries are valid, etc., all the psychoanalytic tendencies, it can be a bit much for these young women. Let's remember that they are more than a just basketball commodity for our lives and leisure...

Reaction Score
I did notice that people on the chat room paint any ugly picture. I wait until someone posts the game later on or the next day on YouTube and is never seems so bad. I wonder if it has anything to do with certain beverages being consumed during the game. I mean people wait for these games and celebrate and maybe that’s why they are so emotional and if it’s not a perfect game they blow it out of proportion. Just a thought. I wish before they post a negative comment, they would pause and put themselves in the players shoes or pretend that they are, or a family member will read them. You never know who’s watching. Just be nice.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
You are correct. Too many fans get too personal with their criticisms.

Most of these fans are really tremendous supporters of the team. The thing is, when you are an avid fan you continuously want the team to continue to improve. Thinking this way, you strive to point out how they can make changes to get better.
The best point of view is to sit back and think about any comment you will make, and how it will affect the feelings of any individual.

Reaction Score

Thank you clbabson. I feel the same way. A number of my recent posts are aimed against those who feel it is their right to be rude and harsh toward the players. Hopefully your post is being read by more than those who "liked" it and prompts some self-examination.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I did notice that people on the chat room paint any ugly picture. I wait until someone posts the game later on or the next day on YouTube and is never seems so bad. I wonder if it has anything to do with certain beverages being consumed during the game. I mean people wait for these games and celebrate and maybe that’s why they are so emotional and if it’s not a perfect game they blow it out of proportion. Just a thought. I wish before they post a negative comment, they would pause and put themselves in the players shoes or pretend that they are, or a family member will read them. You never know who’s watching. Just be nice.
The chat room and the BY itself are by voluntary participation only. As to the consumption of adult beverages during, before & after the game- it is almost Un-American (or Un-Canadian, Un-civilized ) not to.
maya rudolph cheers GIF by Saturday Night Live

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Too often we forget that the players are hurting as they play. Ankles, legs, shoulders prevent 100% efficiency.
Not only that, they’re college kids going through the same angst and issues we all went through in college. People need to remember these are STUDENT-athletes

Reaction Score
The lead-in to this thread is food for thought. However, there is a fine line here. There are the players and coaches and there are the fans. We are not friends or even acquaintances. Most of us are of an age where these young women live in a different world, which we do not get and may not want to. Geno has said many times that he doesn't need any 18 year old friends. Neither do most of us.
So the question is: what should our relationship be? I think as fans we are invested in the team primarily. Players come and go, and we hardly know them except by their accomplishments. Some I definitely pine for after they depart because they were such good company for 4 years. But we all move on.
As for being critical, it's always important to be considerate, but other feelings are also present. Sometimes we are disappointed, sometimes frustrated, sometimes even angry. We hope for so much here that the odds of being let down will happen from time to time. Our expectations have been elevated by (in most cases) many years of following the Huskies. We openly aspire to "perfection" knowing that it's an impossibility.
Everyone reacts to a let down differently. Some of us remain gracious, others less so. Along with perfection, we might also aspire to common humanity. I would say "it's only a game," but no one really believes that.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

You like others have now given your opinion, your point has been taken. That said we are all in uncharted territory with the virus. Not sure but I think how people post is based on their prospective as was yours. Hard to believe it's posters intention to personally hurt CW, it is their love of the program that leads them to the posts they submit. If any find the opposite to exist a simple ignore can be implemented. I find it hard to believe that CW is scanning the BY feeling like a chess pieces looking for our affirmation. I disagree about the post about EW she has come through in game after game giving more than should be expected after her injuries and snub by the NCAA.
Yes we should all be sensitive of others, I pledge to try and be more sensitive when I post, that said when I post I will not alter what I see as the truth, if someone has been on a major slide I will post the same. I will do so factually and without personal attacks, as I feel I have done in the past. I appreciate your opinion, and will review my posts with open eyes.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
"Tried to stay away"? LOL I NEVER venture there during a game. It's almost as bad as the cesspool. Non-stop anger, frustration, and criticism of players. YUCK!

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
"Tried to stay away"? LOL I NEVER venture there during a game. It's almost as bad as the cesspool. Non-stop anger, frustration, and criticism of players. YUCK!
I try but like I said I sometimes check in during halftime just to get a sense of what BYers are saying. I didn't do it last night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom