I Hope BYU Gets The Special Treatment That Aresco Apparently Wants to Give Them | The Boneyard

I Hope BYU Gets The Special Treatment That Aresco Apparently Wants to Give Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Aresco is apparently a disciple of the Tranghese school of running a conference and has been beating the BYU drum heaviily recently (this interview, signing a bowl deal with them, half the AAC scheduling them).

The day the AAC gives them Olympic sports membership for all sports in exchange for a football scheduling arrangement, we had damn well be demanding the same arrangement for our basketball programs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Aresco is apparently a disciple of the Tranghese school of running a conference and has been beating the BYU drum heaviily recently (this interview, signing a bowl deal with them, half the AAC scheduling them).

The day the AAC gives them Olympic sports membership for all sports in exchange for a football scheduling arrangement, we had damn well be demanding the same arrangement for our basketball programs.

You mean you want the basketball teams to be independent? I'm not sure the advantage of that?

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
You mean you want the basketball teams to be independent? I'm not sure the advantage of that?

Three main benefits.

First, we limit our mens and women's schedule to 12 games against AAC teams allowing us to avoid Tulsa/Tulane/Houston/ECU. Second, we get the TV rights to our basketball programs home games (ala what BYU is angling for) which would be significantly more revenue for our school. And third, football and other Olympics have a decent home.

If BYU can get this in football, we should be able to get it in basketball.

pj

Reaction Score
Why not get the same deal BYU does, plus recover the women's BB rights? That way we get to negotiate our own TV deal with football and women's bball, that should significantly raise revenue.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
We have more to gain, football wise, in the AAC than outside it (unlike basketball). Plus, I don't see how the AAC could argue that BYU football is more important than UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
Three main benefits.

First, we limit our mens and women's schedule to 12 games against AAC teams allowing us to avoid Tulsa/Tulane/Houston/ECU. Second, we get the TV rights to our basketball programs home games (ala what BYU is angling for) which would be significantly more revenue for our school. And third, football and other Olympics have a decent home.

Why are you anxious to get basketball out of the AAC. Every year we have been in this league we have won a championship. Maybe the easier regular season schedule gave the team stronger legs at the end of the year and allowed Ollie to experiment more with the team.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Why are you anxious to get basketball out of the AAC. Every year we have been in this league we have won a championship. Maybe the easier regular season schedule gave the team stronger legs at the end of the year and allowed Ollie to experiment more with the team.

$. We need more $.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Three main benefits.

Unless you can sell the TV rights to a national network (and ESPN isn't buying them) the whole program falls apart. You can't recruit without a national TV deal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Also not sure why you assume the AAC would take the deal. Um ok you don't want to be in our basketball league? Take your football team with you.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
I would assume the AAC would take the deal if they were willing to give BYU the sweetheart deal for football that they would insist on. I don't believe that BYU football is more important to the league than UConn basketball, nor that BYU Olympic sports are more valuable than UConn football (neither are particularly valuable right now)

Regarding national TV, I think we would be just fine. Not as good as under the AAC contract, but fine. First of all, I think we can lock in the 6 road AAC games as being on National TV (UConn - Memphis, UConn - SMU, UConn - Cinci and some flavors of the year). Then, with our scheduling flexibility, we will end up playing on national TV when playing road/neutral games against top teams (@ Florida under the SEC deal, @ Texas under the Big12 deal, @ Stanford under the Pac deal). So the question then is, what about our home games? With a slate of 6 AAC home games, plus a good OOC, I can see NBC Sports or Fox Sports1 giving us a contract. It won't quite be the ESPN exposure, but the money will be far better and the exposure offset by the road games. I would also retain Tier 3 rights and sell whatever goes unselected to SNY (which would be a decent amount of content for the men and women).

And I know this is unlikely, but if this league gives BYU a sweetheart deal, we had better be negotiating some of our rights back because at $2m we are being wildly underpaid.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If people start to think that going indy in basketball is actually an option, we really should.

Reaction Score
Can we just rename this the nelson muntz/Waylon Smithers thread? He's been brandishing these thoughts for months.

Reaction Score
Okay, so I listened to the Aresco interview. He did a lot of bootlicking. It's almost as if he's trying to get the BYU fanbase to beg their leadership to pursue admittance into the AAC.
The one good thing that I got out of that interview, is that if UConn should be eligible, the AAC would like to avoid a rematch with BYU in the postseason.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
UConn can play a 15 game home-and-home series with current DI independent New Jersey Institute of Technology.

Reaction Score
UConn can play a 15 game home-and-home series with current DI independent New Jersey Institute of Technology.
Make it a men's and women's doubleheader 15 game home-and-home series.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

In all honesty, they would probably give a better game and better crowd atmosphere than the State University of New Jersey.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
BYU already gets a ton of special treatment. Screw em.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I guess I don't understand why you'd need to make a special deal with BYU. They can't schedule anyone. If the AAC just works with the schools as far as league scheduling to allow a BYU road trip later in the season like UConn is making they will probably play anyone who wants a game.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
I guess I don't understand why you'd need to make a special deal with BYU. They can't schedule anyone. If the AAC just works with the schools as far as league scheduling to allow a BYU road trip later in the season like UConn is making they will probably play anyone who wants a game.

I agree that you don't need to make a special deal for them. But they have their own TV Network that would have to be dealt with, and Aresco would be in charge of negotiations. Those two things are a dangerous combination.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree that you don't need to make a special deal for them. But they have their own TV Network that would have to be dealt with, and Aresco would be in charge of negotiations. Those two things are a dangerous combination.

What is there to negotiate? Their home games they own the AAC home games the AAC owns.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
What is there to negotiate? Their home games they own the AAC home games the AAC owns.

I think we are talking about different things. I think Aresco wants to bring BYU into the AAC as a member, not just schedule them.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
BYU isn't going to join the AAC. Why would they? They'd lock themselves up with a $10M fine and 27 month waiting period should they decide to want to join the PAC or Big12 (both are viable options for them, I think, if they decided that they needed to join a conference). As of today, they could join a P5 conference without locking themselves up with an exit fee or waiting period. Why would they want to pay $10M when they don't have to?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think we are talking about different things. I think Aresco wants to bring BYU into the AAC as a member, not just schedule them.

I thought we were talking about a football scheduling arrangement with them joining in other sports.

I don't see why you'd need to offer them anything to get a football scheduling agreement. They need the games in a bad way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom