I have just one question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I have just one question

Reaction Score
Few thoughts that I will add here:
1. People complain about Geno playing starters (and primary bench players) a lot through three quarters when the score is out of control, but one of the reasons is it takes court time in game conditions to build that rapport among the 6 or 7 players he trusts so they can play at that speed and anticipate the hard passes that are coming their way.

2. Along the lines of #1 - stamina also has to be developed in games - if you expect some games may eventually require 40 minutes of intensity you players better be used to a) playing 20 minutes in a half at high speed, and b) they better be accustomed to resume that same intensity and speed for at least the first five minutes of the 3rd Q.

3. As folks mentioned above, the beauty of most Uconn passes is that they are so precise that they lead the receiver directly into their shooting motion. (Very like seeing a QB hit his receiver 'in stride'.) What has surprised me this year with Lou is that while she receives a number of 'perfect passes' she has developed the ability to shoot her three very accurately while reaching far outside her 'shooting pocket'. She hit at least two threes last night where she had to stretch far outside that pocket to receive a less than perfect pass - last year those shots would have clanked off the iron, but they swish this year.
All good points. One caveat is that the UConn team appears already to be in end of year/playoff shape. Most say practice is harder than games. With several fighting foot/ankle issues, the key is to have all available for the playoffs. Doubt they could get in much better shape but could see some wear down and like the past two years, miss key games or like Kia in NCAA's, play at 80% due to ankle.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I have to go back and rewatch, but there was a point, in Q4 I think, where one of our guys took a very hard foul under the basket by Jesperson (sp?). Refs did the replay deal to see if it warranted a stronger call, which it didn't. A few minutes later the camera was following a typical UConn transition run when it pans back to Jesperson picking herself up from the floor rubbing her chest, in obvious discomfort. All I could think was KIA! Need to see who was close as the play headed down the court!
I watched the game a second time wanting to see what happened but missed it. Wonder if it was Kyla.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Does anyone remember when the half-court offense looked sluggish? That was so 2017! ;)

I'm watching the replay, and the ball movement is so fast. They are just slicing and dicing the Bulls. Actually, this victory is Pamplonian--the running of the Bulls. :D
Did you mean: The ruining of the Bulls?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
IMO it’s not a coincidence that suddenly there’s a great “flow” to our offense, we’re holding the opponent’s leading scorer to 0 points, “Geno is happy,” “the subs are finally getting it,” etc, etc - just as we’re getting into our AAC conference schedule.
Also odd how the stats seeming to be trending toward standard 'Uconn territory' - MOV up to 34.4, opponent shooting percentages dropping to 33.8/28.8, rebound margin rising to 10.5 etc.

January just seems to always coincide with this march toward 'normal', and I have never really figured it out! :cool:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I was upset early in the game. My TV has been acting up lately: quick body movements, not coordinated, etc......Then, after a few minutes I realized it was one of the fastest moving offenses I have ever seen!
(Does anyone know what causes a lapse in time between mouth movement and hearing the spoken words? I even see it happen on live programming.)

Reaction Score
1. People complain about Geno playing starters (and primary bench players) a lot through three quarters when the score is out of control, but one of the reasons is it takes court time in game conditions to build that rapport among the 6 or 7 players he trusts so they can play at that speed and anticipate the hard passes that are coming their way.

2. Along the lines of #1 - stamina also has to be developed in games - if you expect some games may eventually require 40 minutes of intensity you players better be used to a) playing 20 minutes in a half at high speed, and b) they better be accustomed to resume that same intensity and speed for at least the first five minutes of the 3rd Q.

3. As folks mentioned above, the beauty of most Uconn passes is that they are so precise that they lead the receiver directly into their shooting motion. (Very like seeing a QB hit his receiver 'in stride'.) What has surprised me this year with Lou is that while she receives a number of 'perfect passes' she has developed the ability to shoot her three very accurately while reaching far outside her 'shooting pocket'. She hit at least two threes last night where she had to stretch far outside that pocket to receive a less than perfect pass - last year those shots would have clanked off the iron, but they swish this year.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that 13 games in the starting five needs more then three quarters per game to build rapport...............after all, other then Stevens these ladies have been playing together for a while.............also playing against inferior defenses will only go so far to replicate big game intensity....................there is clearly a trade off here..................the more they play together the better they play together but the more court time they have there is less of a chance for healing of current nagging injuries and the greater the chance for serious injuries in a meaningless game............

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I agree with the idea that 13 games in the starting five needs more then three quarters per game to build rapport.....after all, other then Stevens these ladies have been playing together for a while...also playing against inferior defenses will only go so far to replicate big game intensity.....there is clearly a trade off here...the more they play together the better they play together but the more court time they have there is less of a chance for healing of current nagging injuries and the greater the chance for serious injuries in a meaningless game..
It's not as bad as it sounds. Lou missed all of about 4 games and parts of 2 others, plus Gabby had recurring migraines. I think we've had maybe 5-7 games in which everyone in the top 6 has been close to healthy. If we count Megan, who had the flu, we've had 3-5 games in which everyone in the top 7 was healthy.

Reaction Score
It's not as bad as it sounds. Lou missed all of about 4 games and parts of 2 others, plus Gabby had recurring migraines. I think we've had maybe 5-7 games in which everyone in the top 6 has been close to healthy. If we count Megan, who had the flu, we've had 3-5 games in which everyone in the top 7 was healthy.

we've all been reading the Non-UConn injury page which seems to be getting longer by the day...............I feel badly for all of the players and their teams on that list and if playing a few less minutes per game during the conference season is what it takes to lower the odds of the UConn kids getting injured I'll take whatever loss of performance comes with it................something tells me they'll be ready at tournament time whether they've been averaging 27 or 34 minutes a game...............

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I do have one question though, they reviewed the foul on Kia which I get but how do you not review and call something on the mugging by Ferriera on Pheesa? There's no way imaginable an attempted body slam is a basketball move. Unfortunately for Ferriera, or maybe fortunately, that Pheesa is so strong it barely phased her shot. Maybe there was a review I just don't remember there being one and if there was how could you not call something more then a common foul. Maybe I just don't understand the rules.
There was no review and there should have been, it was not a basketball move.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
According to Geno and Lou she won't be healthy the rest of the year. She just needs to play through it.

Reaction Score
According to Geno and Lou she won't be healthy the rest of the year. She just needs to play through it.

Which implies that it may take more than R&R to make it right.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Which implies that it may take more than R&R to make it right.
Geno stated that she practicing less, but will play in the games.

Reaction Score
IMO it’s not a coincidence that suddenly there’s a great “flow” to our offense, we’re holding the opponent’s leading scorer to 0 points, “Geno is happy,” “the subs are finally getting it,” etc, etc - just as we’re getting into our AAC conference schedule.

You raise an important point, j66, which is how this game reflects on the AAC. If, for example, USF is the 2nd best team in the conference, what does that say about the conference? UConn is already subject to sniping about the quality of the AAC, though it's clearly not the school's fault. And we regularly hear about how tough every game is in the ACC and SEC. The suggestion is that we're not properly tested. That's a bunch of baloney. Geno will play anyone and anywhere as he has amply demonstrated over the years. No team in America could have withstood the Huskies last night. But it does no good to have the 2nd best team in our league lose by 50 pts. Though in the moment it does.

Reaction Score
It was Molly, she was beginning to get into a box out position and caught Jesperson with an elbow.
tHAT ONE just brought Molly up another few steps in my estimation--add that to defense, confidence, shooting, making, all plus plus plus. Love Molly with the elbow---My really nice girl is a ---BEAST.

Reaction Score
You raise an important point, j66, which is how this game reflects on the AAC. 1) If, for example, USF is the 2nd best team in the conference, what does that say about the conference?

2) UConn is already subject to sniping about the quality of the AAC, though it's clearly not the school's fault.
And we regularly hear about how tough every game is in the ACC and SEC. The suggestion is that we're not properly tested. That's a bunch of baloney. Geno will play anyone and anywhere as he has amply demonstrated over the years. No team in America could have withstood the Huskies last night. But it does no good to have the 2nd best team in our league lose by 50 pts. Though in the moment it does.
1) It says what we all already know - the AAC stinks.

2) It's not the WBB program's fault - not so sure about the school.

Reaction Score
1) It says what we all already know - the AAC stinks.

2) It's not the WBB program's fault - not so sure about the school.

Certainly not the program...not sure about the school.

IMO UConn is probably a pretty decent school academically but doesn't stand out particularly - and has lots of competition in New England for the best students. It has been known primarily for it's men's and women's basketball programs (although it also has fine programs for some of the smaller sports, mens & women's).

I doubt the endowment is capable of closing whatever funding gaps it faces in the next several years and beyond. CT is in dire straits financially and that's not going to change for the better in the future. If I were running UConn, I'd be up nights trying to come up with a strategic plan that will bring in revenue and build a non-sports rep (I know, master of the obvious, but this IS a state school in a state not exactly known for making great decisions). Figure out a way to tie up with Gates or one of the other tech gazillionaires - hell, sell them the school.

If only for purely financial reasons, I just don't see the WBB program going anywhere but down once the master decides to put in his papers. Whatever luster UConn has, at least beyond the borders of the state, is pretty much a refection of Auriemma and his very singular and unique success.

Not sure what brought that out! Must be tired of just thinking about basketball.

Reaction Score
Certainly not the program...not sure about the school.

IMO UConn is probably a pretty decent school academically but doesn't stand out particularly - and has lots of competition in New England for the best students. It has been known primarily for it's men's and women's basketball programs (although it also has fine programs for some of the smaller sports, mens & women's).

I doubt the endowment is capable of closing whatever funding gaps it faces in the next several years and beyond. CT is in dire straits financially and that's not going to change for the better in the future. If I were running UConn, I'd be up nights trying to come up with a strategic plan that will bring in revenue and build a non-sports rep (I know, master of the obvious, but this IS a state school in a state not exactly known for making great decisions). Figure out a way to tie up with Gates or one of the other tech gazillionaires - hell, sell them the school.

If only for purely financial reasons, I just don't see the WBB program going anywhere but down once the master decides to put in his papers. Whatever luster UConn has, at least beyond the borders of the state, is pretty much a refection of Auriemma and his very singular and unique success.

Not sure what brought that out! Must be tired of just thinking about basketball.

well I know one small way to increase the school's income..............accept my daughter into the class of 2024.....................that's about $22k in extra cash as an out of state student.....................

Reaction Score

The Bill Gates School of Technology? He's not an alum though - went to Harvard until he dropped out to invent DOS. Who are UConn's rich alumni? We need a Phil Knight (Oregon's sugar daddy) or T. Boone Pickens (Oklahoma State) type to buy us the facilities and coaching staff to produce a football team the ACC would be proud of.

Reaction Score
The Bill Gates School of Technology? He's not an alum though - went to Harvard until he dropped out to invent DOS. Who are UConn's rich alumni? We need a Phil Knight (Oregon's sugar daddy) or T. Boone Pickens (Oklahoma State) type to buy us the facilities and coaching staff to produce a football team the ACC would be proud of.

Actually, I'm sure the school has a list of every alum and their net worth - I'm sure that's how the practice center got built. But it really could use a billionaire benefactor of the Knight/Pickens caliber. I will continue to dream!

Reaction Score
well I know one small way to increase the school's income....accept my daughter into the class of 2024......that's about $22k in extra cash as an out of state student......

You may want to check again. Tuition plus room/board is roughly $50k a year these days.

Reaction Score

Love this post. Can I copy it and use it again and again whenever we hear in the future that UCONN needs to play the "9th" player on the depth chart in case they have a potential issue that someday they'll need an important "two minutes?" I do believe bench should see more minutes because we're going to blow out many more teams. But I think it's AZ who should be getting a few more minutes and Walker a couple more too. Basically you win or lose with your stars. UCONN has a top 7. It's key for the top 7 to get their time in. IMO this is different team than last year too. They need to work together and in different roles as well. The dynamic of Danger, AZ and Megan make this a different team from last year. As you say - this must be developed. And by playing in such a weak conference the starters no longer need to play those 35-40 minute games as often as they have had to start the season. The blowouts will give the top stars ample time for rest.

Great post UC!!!

Reaction Score
You may want to check again. Tuition plus room/board is roughly $50k a year these days.

the 22k is the difference between the in state and out of state total............I'd be glad to do my part to help with the cause

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom