I have just one question | The Boneyard

I have just one question

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Does anyone remember when the half-court offense looked sluggish? That was so 2017! ;)

I'm watching the replay, and the ball movement is so fast. They are just slicing and dicing the Bulls. Actually, this victory is Pamplonian--the running of the Bulls. :D

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember when the half-court offense looked sluggish? That was so 2017! ;)

I'm watching the replay, and the ball movement is so fast. They are just slicing and dicing the Bulls. Actually, this victory is Pamplonian--the running of the Bulls. :D

upload_2018-1-7_6-41-57.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Even when all of the reserves were in late in the game, there were several offensive sequences when the ball shot around the floor to the open shooter at the arc (Molly & Kyla) who knocked down 3’s pushing the score to 100 for the Huskies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Watching the game live is just mind blowing. The wife and I were talking on the ride back from Tampa at how fast this team plays. When Geno says its freshman adjusting to the speed of the game that is tough, he's not kidding! The passing is so fast, so accurate its difficult to comprehend. Not only that, it is amazing that teammates expect the pass - they are ready. And for the vast majority of passes, they are right were a player wants them! When they coming running down the court after a defensive board, those passing lanes are filled quickly. USF's players were left in the dust. And this team loves to run!

The other topic of discussion while at the game, which had a northern invasion of major proportions, was how physical and strong this UConn team is. More than a few times Pheesa went right through defenders and their arms to put in a layup. Then there is Pheesa, Gabby, Lou, Z, Kia and yes Crystal, ripping rebounds away from USF players. And I literally mean ripping. USF tried some physical play but it didn't phase UConn at all. I fact, we were commenting with other UConn fans how tired USF was about half way through the 2nd quarter.

We also were laughing like crazy when Crystal got away with a travel, right in front of the ref, the dropped a 3 with no call. USF fans were going nutz!!!!!

On my northern invasion comment, USF announced that attendence was over 6,700. One of their top 10 attendance numbers. USF averages about 2,600 to 2,700 per game. Most of those 4,000 extra fans were UConn fans who flew down before the storm hit. As one USF fan said to us, UConn helps us keep the lights on.

This UConn edition is beginning to show how good they are going to be.

Reaction Score
The other topic of discussion while at the game, which had a northern invasion of major proportions, was how physical and strong this UConn team is

I have to go back and rewatch, but there was a point, in Q4 I think, where one of our guys took a very hard foul under the basket by Jesperson (sp?). Refs did the replay deal to see if it warranted a stronger call, which it didn't. A few minutes later the camera was following a typical UConn transition run when it pans back to Jesperson picking herself up from the floor rubbing her chest, in obvious discomfort. All I could think was KIA! Need to see who was close as the play headed down the court!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have to go back and rewatch, but there was a point, in Q4 I think, where one of our guys took a very hard foul under the basket by Jesperson (sp?). Refs did the replay deal to see if it warranted a stronger call, which it didn't. A few minutes later the camera was following a typical UConn transition run when it pans back to Jesperson picking herself up from the floor rubbing her chest, in obvious discomfort. All I could think was KIA! Need to see who was close as the play headed down the court!
While Kia was the victim of the hard foul from Jespersen, I believe she was out of the game by the time that payback was delivered. I too am very curious which Husky delivered the hit that put Jespersen on the floor.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
My highlight was Molly Molly. To see the lady shoot in the flow of the game. Taking good shots at the right time was delightful. it might have taken some time, but she sure looks comfortable now.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

That play was down on the end of the court were we were sitting. I haven't watched the replay of the game but I think Gabby was in the area. From Jespersen's reaction, I think someone ran her into a pick set by Gabby. Jespersen was really hurting when she got up.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That play was down on the end of the court were we were sitting. I haven't watched the replay of the game but I think Gabby was in the area. From Jespersen's reaction, I think someone ran her into a pick set by Gabby. Jespersen was really hurting when she got up.
So Jespersen commits a hard foul on Kia, who hits 2 ft’s, and Gabby sets a hard screen on Jespersen, who hobbles off the court. I’m good with that. :cool:

Reaction Score

It was Molly, she was beginning to get into a box out position and caught Jesperson with an elbow.

Reaction Score
I do have one question though, they reviewed the foul on Kia which I get but how do you not review and call something on the mugging by Ferriera on Pheesa? There's no way imaginable an attempted body slam is a basketball move. Unfortunately for Ferriera, or maybe fortunately, that Pheesa is so strong it barely phased her shot. Maybe there was a review I just don't remember there being one and if there was how could you not call something more then a common foul. Maybe I just don't understand the rules.

Reaction Score
While Kia was the victim of the hard foul from Jespersen, I believe she was out of the game by the time that payback was delivered. I too am very curious which Husky delivered the hit that put Jespersen on the floor.
It was Molly. There was a crowd for the rebound and her elbow got Jespersen in the chest. Incidental but well timed after that hard foul.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Few thoughts that I will add here:
1. People complain about Geno playing starters (and primary bench players) a lot through three quarters when the score is out of control, but one of the reasons is it takes court time in game conditions to build that rapport among the 6 or 7 players he trusts so they can play at that speed and anticipate the hard passes that are coming their way.

2. Along the lines of #1 - stamina also has to be developed in games - if you expect some games may eventually require 40 minutes of intensity you players better be used to a) playing 20 minutes in a half at high speed, and b) they better be accustomed to resume that same intensity and speed for at least the first five minutes of the 3rd Q.

3. As folks mentioned above, the beauty of most Uconn passes is that they are so precise that they lead the receiver directly into their shooting motion. (Very like seeing a QB hit his receiver 'in stride'.) What has surprised me this year with Lou is that while she receives a number of 'perfect passes' she has developed the ability to shoot her three very accurately while reaching far outside her 'shooting pocket'. She hit at least two threes last night where she had to stretch far outside that pocket to receive a less than perfect pass - last year those shots would have clanked off the iron, but they swish this year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It was Molly. There was a crowd for the rebound and her elbow got Jespersen in the chest. Incidental but well timed after that hard foul.
No impossible! It couldn’t have been sweet, innocent Molly Bent that dropped Jespersen on the floor like a duck shot with a 22. Then again, if it was Molly, I’m good with that. :)

Reaction Score
Another thought,
It is really an enjoyment to watch Pheesa dribbled the ball, under the basket, made a layup. Her moves are so quick, clear, elegance and gracefulness I think lots of HS or College coaches will use her replay as the teaching class materials.

Reaction Score
The thing that struck me about Pheesa on offense was her patience. Much more deliberate than she seemed in earlier games. That extra second made all the difference in her shot or pass. Earlier, even if she didnt shoot too quickly, he seemed rushed and unsteady. In this game when she was under the basket she stood solidly while a defender blew by and calmly made the shot!

Reaction Score
IMO it’s not a coincidence that suddenly there’s a great “flow” to our offense, we’re holding the opponent’s leading scorer to 0 points, “Geno is happy,” “the subs are finally getting it,” etc, etc - just as we’re getting into our AAC conference schedule.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
IMO it’s not a coincidence that suddenly there’s a great “flow” to our offense, we’re holding the opponent’s leading scorer to 0 points, “Geno is happy,” “the subs are finally getting it,” etc, etc - just as we’re getting into our AAC conference schedule.
I hear you, although I note that last season in league play there were a few road bumps, i.e. at Tulane. This season it will be an accomplishment for any AAC team to get within 30 points of the Huskies.

Reaction Score

Nope, no coincidence, just what Geno & CD & staff do, year after year. Perhaps the "nervous nelly" posters will calm down!:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom