I have a secret for Kofi and Wahab | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I have a secret for Kofi and Wahab

Reaction Score
Three centers were being recruited with Tre Mitchell being the third.
Is there a reason he hasn’t been mentioned here?

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Man, it's gonna be awkward when you realize Wahab is actually a 3 star.

Wahab cannot play the 4, so please stop pretending him and Kofi would co-exist well.

Upperclassmen Polley and Carlton are fine backups, you're overreacting after a terrible game for each of them.
I don't think anybody is suggesting play Kofi and Wahab at the same time, but rather Wahab would still command minutes off the bench as a backup to Kofi. Kofi, at his size, is not going to be able to play 30+ minutes as a freshman. I think Wahab is better than Carlton; therefore, could easily play 15-20 min off the bench to spill Kofi and that would relegate carlton to our 3rd center playing no more than 10 min a game.

Reaction Score
Maybe but I'm confident Wahab and basically any other 6'10 guy with a pulse would be getting more than 2 rebs and 1 point against non scrub opponents.
Yeah, honestly Carlton has regressed against good teams this year. I really don’t know what’s going on. Is it mental? It’s not like he got weaker from last year, so I don’t see what the issue is.

But I just don’t see Wahab as the type who is ready to play big minutes as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Yeah, honestly Carlton has regressed against good teams this year. I really don’t know what’s going on. Is it mental? It’s not like he got weaker from last year, so I don’t see what the issue is.

But I just don’t see Wahab as the type who is ready to play big minutes as a freshman.
Neither do I and another project big is pretty much the last thing we need. He may have higher upside but I would rather Tre Mitchell.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Neither do I and another project big is pretty much the last thing we need. He may have higher upside but I would rather Tre Mitchell.
I agree with tre mitchell, but it appear that perhaps he's going to PG so maybe we can expect him on the roster for 2020-21

Reaction Score
I have this crazy idea about Tre Mitchell. If Achiuwa signs with us for 2019-20 to play mostly at the 4,, then Mitchell stays in CT and plays another year of prep and signs with us in 2020-21 since Precious is one and done. However, if Precious goes elsewhere for 2019-20 I think Tre Mitchell, takes that spot, comes here next year and plays the 4/5. He is very versatile; scores from all over the floor.

He's not fast or super athletic but he knows how to ball. We need players like this, with high IQ, a banger who can score in the post, and the versatility to step outside or score from midrange. I think Tre Mitchell would be a fabulous pickup. I think he could coexist nicely on the same team as Kofi. I don't necessarily see them playing together, but on the same team, sure.

Reaction Score
People complain that we don't have enough talent (and I agree we don't) yet they want us to rush and take Wahab...Trust the staff here. If they didn't feel they were in a good spot with Kofi, they would go after Wahab harder. Not sure why this is hard for people to understand.

agreed hurley shouldn't rush to take Wahab. Wahab is just a lot further along in the recruiting process than Kofi and hurley doesn't control their respective timelines. i only meant to say that if Wahab wants to commit here he shouldn't be dissuaded.

similar to gaffney, i've read on here multiple times that Wahab is also underrated and closer to a 4 star recruit. he'd still represent a talent upgrade capable of outplaying carlton next season (honestly seems like it would be hard not to)

i'm not trying to pick fights i just think worst case scenario at this point is going into next season with carlton as the starter.

PS- everything i said about Wahab also applies to mitchell. i'd love to have him it just doesn't seem like anyone has a clue what's going on with him

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is playing time here for both of you. Plenty. 25 mins per plenty. Please enroll. That would be nice.
There is plenty of playing time on teams that stink. Great players are ot afraid to compete for positions and playing time.

Reaction Score

That is kinda the point. He is available for 2019 as is Kofi. As with many rail thin 6 foot 10+ kids it takes a season to "season". Let's say he can't play next to Kofi. He can spell him or maybe Carlton can; but there is no reason not to take Wahab before Kofi if he wants to come here. He will not scare Kofi away. Even top 125 bigs don't grow on trees (funny haha).

Reaction Score
That is kinda the point. He is available for 2019 as is Kofi. As with many rail thin 6 foot 10+ kids it takes a season to "season". Let's say he can't play next to Kofi. He can spell him or maybe Carlton can; but there is no reason not to take Wahab before Kofi if he wants to come here. He will not scare Kofi away. Even top 125 bigs don't grow on trees (funny haha).
He may not “scare Kofi away” but there’s a good chance that Kofi would take that as him not really being our #1 priority and just move on from us.

We saw this happen to KO in 2017. This is like saying Akinjo wouldn’t scare Nembhard away last year because Nembhard was ranked higher. But in reality, Nembhard was so pissed that we took Akinjo before he made his decision that he just cut us from his list instantly.

Reaction Score
He may not “scare Kofi away” but there’s a good chance that Kofi would take that as him not really being our #1 priority and just move on from us.

We saw this happen to KO in 2017. This is like saying Akinjo wouldn’t scare Nembhard away last year because Nembhard was ranked higher. But in reality, Nembhard was so pissed that we took Akinjo before he made his decision that he just cut us from his list instantly.

I actually agree with you a lot on this and my underlying sense with what I know about the situation - or at least Kofi, particularly - is that I don't get the sense he's like... enthusiastic about coming here. I think he'd be fine with it, I think he'd be happy here, I think this place would be a great fit for him - and I feel that across the board - that's how he feels.

But I do get this sense that he'd much rather be at a Major program right now like a Kansas or Duke or something.

And I feel like anything that sorta adds to that - whether it's competing for playing time or not - is gonna dissuade him from coming. And yeah - I mean I don't think he's going look at the Wahab thing enthusiastically.

And I'm starting to get the sense Wahab wants to come here.

I kinda was a little surprised to see him shift gears like that in his recruitment and him not announcing could 100% mean nothing, but I also thought to myself if Hurley said 'love to have you, but we want Kofi, too - and we're worried if you announce before he does, that it'ls gonna make it harder to get him here. You mind holding off until we get a commitment from Kofi and once that's done, we'll let everyone know you're coming, too.'

I could totally be overthinking the whole thing, but I dunno how confident I feel about Cockburn. No concrete evidence to suggest anything, but I dunno.

Reaction Score
Nembhard was so pissed that we took Akinjo before he made his decision that he just cut us from his list instantly

so bottom line- kofi has us between a rock and a hard place for the next 3 odd months. hurley and co. just have to keep praising king kofi as he visits up to 3 more schools, while also secretly keeping tabs on wahab, but also hoping wahab doesn't give us an ultimatum in the meantime for fear of offending kofi...yuck.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
so bottom line- kofi has us between a rock and a hard place for the next 4 odd months. hurley and co. just have to keep praising king kofi as he visits up to 3 more schools while also secretly keeping tabs on wahab, but also hoping wahab doesn't give us an ultimatum in the meantime for fear of offending kofi...yuck.

It's yuck, but that's recruiting for you with some of these kids.

Reaction Score
If Carlton is our staring center next year I will weep. If Kofi wants Kansas or doesn't want UConn, or does want UConn, Wahab won't change that imho. I realize even the casual fans are tender right now; but we won't be UConn again until we act like UConn. Hurley didn't botch the Ak Ak situation. I believe Hurley can finesse this. Read the tea leaves, wtv. You tell Kofi that a number 130 center is a project at a power like UConn and you are the man from day one. You tell him he will have two experienced guards to feed him low all day long and make him look good. This is what Hurley was literally born to do.

Reaction Score
so bottom line- kofi has us between a rock and a hard place for the next 3 odd months. hurley and co. just have to keep praising king kofi as he visits up to 3 more schools, while also secretly keeping tabs on wahab, but also hoping wahab doesn't give us an ultimatum in the meantime for fear of offending kofi...yuck.
Chill brother, I think he pops for us before then.

Reaction Score
if he isn't coming here at least he's not waiting until april to announce, thus preserving our shot at wahab and maybe mitchell. that's really the only silver lining i can think up at the moment....

Reaction Score
IF this is the big day for IL i will harken back to a recent Kofi quote with positive shine on playing B1G ball. It was in a recent thread but cannot find it yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom