I guess Rebecca doesn’t know basketball after all | The Boneyard

I guess Rebecca doesn’t know basketball after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pretty amazing that a ref who has, in all likelihood, done nothing in his athletic career, relatively speaking, would say that to a Hall of Famer. I have to say, it surprises me that the exchange bothered Rebecca as much as it did. The ref, who in all likelihood was a guy (though Rebecca doesn't explicitly say that that ) is an idiot. They are out there.

For what it's worth, I can't help but note the inconsistency in his statement. I'd probably have asked "So which was it? Was it a no call because it's "a man's game" or did he slip?" laughing at him as I said it.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Pretty amazing that a ref who has, in all likelihood, done nothing in his athletic career, relatively speaking, would say that to a Hall of Famer. I have to say, it surprises me that the exchange bothered Rebecca as much as it did. The ref, who in all likelihood was a guy (though Rebecca doesn't explicitly say that that ) is an idiot. They are out there.

For what it's worth, I can't help but note the inconsistency in his statement. I'd probably have asked "So which was it? Was it a no call because it's "a man's game" or did he slip?" laughing at him as I said it.
I'm gonna guess here, that it bothered her in the way it was said. You can disagree about a call, however when you disparage another person, and imply that gender has anything to do with the situation, it's tiresome. And, IMHO, women's basketball has been a more beautiful and team oriented game, compared to what we see in the NBA these days. AFAICT, she didn't go all "do you know who I am", she was fairly calm in the situation.

I guess Lobo does know hoop?

Reaction Score
No words. She’s a hall of famer.

Edit edit: Actually, I have a lot of words. When I graduated high school in 1980, women’s sports were still treated as “we have to do this but it is second rate”. I have endless respect for every woman who came before me that marched in the streets, bashed down doors, and demanded equal treatment. Having this come on the heels of women being told they should stay in the kitchen and make babies at their college graduation is a bit too much. If someone told me where I should show up, I’d be out in the street protesting all over again.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm gonna guess here, that it bothered her in the way it was said. You can disagree about a call, however when you disparage another person, and imply that gender has anything to do with the situation, it's tiresome. And, IMHO, women's basketball has been a more beautiful and team oriented game, compared to what we see in the NBA these days. AFAICT, she didn't go all "do you know who I am", she was fairly calm in the situation.

I guess Lobo does know hoop?

I agree 100% that it was offensive, and no doubt intended to be. But given all that she's accomplished in her lifetime in this particular sport, It surprises me that the opinion of one idiot resonated with her at all. At the end of the day that exchange defines the ref, not Rebecca.

I love Rizzotti's comment.

Reaction Score
Simply appalling.

I think of all the UCONN players over the years, Rebacca Lobo stands near the top - or at the very top - when it comes to understanding the game and all it's rules, nuances, and quirks.

Reaction Score
Rebecca got upset because as a young girl the area in MA didn't have a girl's BB league so Rebecca's Mom, Ruth signed her up on a boy's team!
Ruth Lobo said treat her like you treat the boy's but 1 thing, when you practice shirts and skins she's always on the shirt team!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
No words. She’s a hall of famer.

Edit edit: Actually, I have a lot of words. When I graduated high school in 1980, women’s sports were still treated as “we have to do this but it is second rate”. I have endless respect for every woman who came before me that marched in the streets, bashed down doors, and demanded equal treatment. Having this come on the heels of women being told they should stay in the kitchen and make babies at their college graduation is a bit too much. If someone told me where I should show up, I’d be out in the street protesting all over again.
if you mean it, then a strong statement can be made on a tuesday this november ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom