I got a question | The Boneyard

I got a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
What is up with teams blocking other regional teams from a conference? If you create a bitter rivalry you play every year, you just make the contract for TV that much better. It's not like you are going to lose fans or anything; your fans already hate the other team. Maybe I can almost understand BC blocking UConn cause if you make UConn totally insignificant, you become New Englands team. I think the alternative is better for BC - a local New England rival and far less travel for a bunch of teams and a better contract. But Nova blocking Temple? What's the point. You aren't going to gain anything.

I had another question about how does football drive the bus when there are so many more bball games in a season, then I looked at the numbers. Michigan averages 111,000 fans per game. That's about 5 bball games worth of fans. So until bball goes to a 60 game season, I understand why football is king.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well, Nova went through the decision making process to upgrade their football last year, only to fumble at the goal line (rather, they just couldn't come up with anything better than a MLS stadium that might be expanded to 30,000 in several years). I think it's a safe assumption that there is a significant pro-upgrade faction among their athletics people and their administration. Rumor is that Pitt was unhappy with the Nova stadium situation and the way the Big east handled it politically, and yet after Pitt and SU left, Nova - or at least the pro-upgrade faction - still wants to upgrade, so Temple is clearly seen as a threat by that faction.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Well, Nova went through the decision making process to upgrade their football last year, only to fumble at the goal line (rather, they just couldn't come up with anything better than a MLS stadium that might be expanded to 30,000 in several years). I think it's a safe assumption that there is a significant pro-upgrade faction among their athletics people and their administration. Rumor is that Pitt was unhappy with the Nova stadium situation and the way the Big east handled it politically, and yet after Pitt and SU left, Nova - or at least the pro-upgrade faction - still wants to upgrade, so Temple is clearly seen as a threat by that faction.

But that is what I don't get. How are they a threat? Nova fans aren't suddenly going to become Temple fans and Nova boosters aren't suddenly going to be giving their money to Temple. All that happens is you make a better product with a natural rival and increase the TV contract for both.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I guess they figure they will be competing for brandspace (did I just make up that word?) as Philly's college football team, and that it would be easier to do that as the only BCS team in town. Beyond students and alumni, you want to have your program on the local news, and local folks buying jerseys and filling the stands. Nova probably is gearing up to compete with Temple in that arena, and if Temple has the upper hand (by winning more sooner in a BCS league) it makes it harder.

I'm sure BC would love it if UConn stayed in a depleted Big East and lost its BCS status. But you are right that having two schools competing in the same neighborhood makes for good TV - as long as it doesn't turn into the U-Game with one side dominating the win column.

Reaction Score
Philly barely supports college football. Nova is just protecting its turf until marinatto let's them play at the 18k seat soccer stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom