I feel good about the program | The Boneyard

I feel good about the program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ollie has been with Uconn, and really only had 1 bad year...which wasn't terrible, but wasn't Uconnesque. Next Year we have A great trio returning, which include a point guard who will be starting from day one, so the ups and downs may be mitigated. A decent supporting cast returning and an excellent recruiting class. I hate that we lost but, I see a bright future for us. For all of you, who think that sterling gibbs and shonn miller were disappointments...We won 25 games, a conference tournament and at least 1 tourney win...we just happened to run into the best team in the country, in fact even Uconn has lost pretty easily to a number of top teams in the tournament under Calhoun. I still remember when they lost to Ohio State in 92, which was a few years removed from the dream season, and then they went to the NIT, the following year, that was a disappointing stretch. Point is, they are going to be all set....they just might not win the title every other year, but they will be competing.

Reaction Score
KO will continue to learn. I feel there's a lot of upside for him as a coach. Just as players get better, so do coaches. Looking at Mike Bray at Notre Dame for example (given they're playing right now). They were always DECENT, but I feel he doesn't have that much talent this year and is in a position to send his team to the sweet 16 after narrowly missing the final 4 last year. When they had that Luke Harongody guy they were kind of a makeshift good team, but now they're legit good every year.

Reaction Score
If we can get into a conference where regular season matchups are attractive and get people excited to come to home games again, I'll be happy. I miss the days of packed houses at XL (actually the Civic Center).
So noble.

Reaction Score
KO has shown the ability to be a great tournament coach and it looks like he's going to continue to be a great recruiter. We just got our first AAC tournament championship, and we have a great class incoming. I just hope we turn in the corner in the regular season soon, and that some of our players develop a little more over the offseason.

I am also glad Rodney is coming back. He had that slump in the middle of the year but he started off hot and finished even hotter and has become a top tier defender. If he can put a full season together on offense next year and can work on finishing, we look really really good on paper. If nothing else, he's going to continue to help recruiting for one more year.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
So noble.
Would you care to elaborate, Sir Fart Man? Maybe you're too young to remember the crowds and excitement in the past. Hard to get excited for games with East Carolina, Tulane, UCF etc. I still go to a good number of games each season including some road games but fewer than I did in the past when we were in the Big East.

Reaction Score
KO has shown the ability to be a great tournament coach and it looks like he's going to continue to be a great recruiter. We just got our first AAC tournament championship, and we have a great class incoming. I just hope we turn in the corner in the regular season soon, and that some of our players develop a little more over the offseason.

I am also glad Rodney is coming back. He had that slump in the middle of the year but he started off hot and finished even hotter and has become a top tier defender. If he can put a full season together on offense next year and can work on finishing, we look really really good on paper. If nothing else, he's going to continue to help recruiting for one more year.
I loved at the end of the game when KU was shooting free throws and Rodney was talking to Amida...just kept talking and talking...Really showed a lot of passion. I really hope Rodney can put together a HUGE senior season. Hope he improves more than any other player and gets drafted.

Can't wait to hear the announcers talking about how "Rodney Purvis has been in college for 11 seasons", on highlights of him hitting a three next year

Reaction Score
Would you care to elaborate, Sir Fart Man? Maybe you're too young to remember the crowds and excitement in the past. Hard to get excited for games with East Carolina, Tulane, UCF etc. I still go to a good number of games each season including some road games but fewer than I did in the past when we were in the Big East.
No I agree with all that babble I just get amused when the older crowd refuses to call it XL like giving that dump a corporate name is sacrilege or something

Reaction Score
Ollie has been with Uconn, and really only had 1 bad year...which wasn't terrible, but wasn't Uconnesque. Next Year we have A great trio returning, which include a point guard who will be starting from day one, so the ups and downs may be mitigated. A decent supporting cast returning and an excellent recruiting class. I hate that we lost but, I see a bright future for us. For all of you, who think that sterling gibbs and shonn miller were disappointments...We won 25 games, a conference tournament and at least 1 tourney win...we just happened to run into the best team in the country, in fact even Uconn has lost pretty easily to a number of top teams in the tournament under Calhoun. I still remember when they lost to Ohio State in 92, which was a few years removed from the dream season, and then they went to the NIT, the following year, that was a disappointing stretch. Point is, they are going to be all set....they just might not win the title every other year, but they will be competing.
We've lost to less than Kansas. Does anyone remember George mason or Iowa state?

Reaction Score
I loved at the end of the game when KU was shooting free throws and Rodney was talking to Amida...just kept talking and talking...Really showed a lot of passion. I really hope Rodney can put together a HUGE senior season. Hope he improves more than any other player and gets drafted.

Can't wait to hear the announcers talking about how "Rodney Purvis has been in college for 11 seasons", on highlights of him hitting a three next year

Agreed. Rodney is a tremendous ambassador for the program and a player in his own right. If he can start finishing at the rim he will have a tremendous season. He worked on his shooting last offseason and it shows. Now he just needs to get better by the hoop

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No I agree with all that babble I just get amused when the older crowd refuses to call it XL like giving that dump a corporate name is sacrilege or something

Hey some of us still hold a candle for The Whalers. Leave us to our permanent mourning.

Reaction Score
I give KO and the staff big props for what they are doing and if we can get the bigs better and stronger I think we will be golden. Lets face it, we have had the guards and scoring forwards, always have.

Reaction Score
we did not just happen to run into Kansas. We were a 9 seed! Getit, got it good!

Reaction Score
we did not just happen to run into Kansas. We were a 9 seed! Getit, got it good!
Sure, but only 1 9-seed plays Kansas, right?

I'd prefer not to be a 9 seed, but if I were, Oregon would be who I wanted to play. Virginia would be a better matchup too. UNC would be too strong inside, but I they're so up and down.

Again, while Colorado was a better first round matchup than St. Joe's, maybe, Kansas is who we happened to run into, definitionally.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
We would have won 2 games if we were properly seeded.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
It's good to finally go into an offseason and not worry about if we'll have a good team next year. We don't have to worry about recruit decommitments, transfers , last minute reaches, etc. this offseason .

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
If we can get into a conference where regular season matchups are attractive and get people excited to come to home games again, I'll be happy. I miss the days of packed houses at XL (actually the Civic Center).

I've been out of Conn awhile, but I don't understand why UConn fans aren't packing the home houses regardless of the conference. Even if we dominate the conference (next year perhaps?) isn't UConn a draw enough? In Texas we drive multiple hours to see the Huskies play at Houston. What am I missing?

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Let me explain the Kansas matchup. If you come home one night and there is a grand piano dangling by a rope over your front door and over your head, don't be surprised if the rope "gives way" while you're unlocking the door. Somebody is trying to get rid of you.
The AAC Champion was playing Kansas on the first weekend. That was set in stone. And when it looked as if there could be a UConn/ Kansas matchup on the first Saturday night on the tourney on CBS, UConn's ninth seed became the biggest no brainer in corrupt NCAA seeding history.

Reaction Score
Let me explain the Kansas matchup. If you come home one night and there is a grand piano dangling by a rope over your front door and over your head, don't be surprised if the rope "gives way" while you're unlocking the door. Somebody is trying to get rid of you.
The AAC Champion was playing Kansas on the first weekend. That was set in stone. And when it looked as if there could be a UConn/ Kansas matchup on the first Saturday night on the tourney on CBS, UConn's ninth seed became the biggest no brainer in corrupt NCAA seeding history.
lol. It must be a crazy existence to believe stuff like this.

Reaction Score
We really have to solve our leadership crisis. This tourney I saw no one leading the huddles, no one restoring the team faith or no one actually taking over the game. The Kansas game clearly exposed this deficiency, especially when we looked befuddled in the 1st half.

Jalen appears to be the one to lead next year, I hope Coach gives him the keys. However Jalen showed some flaws mainly frustration type, but Bazz seemed to have the same flaws when he was young, which he learned to contain.

Amida is not really a leader but an encourager and cheerleader, DHam is too passive at least so far, Rodney could but he's had two years also and he didn't emerge.

Solving our leadership issue as well as bringing in the strong recruiting class will certainly make me feel as good as @mauconnfan. Hopefully Ollie appoints the leader in the summer and not wait until practice.

I may seem to put a lot of emphasis on leadership but all of our strong teams had a defined leader, I need to see that and I also feel Jalen can be that leader, he has the qualities, confidence and demeanor.

We will see.

Reaction Score
We really have to solve our leadership crisis. This tourney I saw no one leading the huddles, no one restoring the team faith or no one actually taking over the game. The Kansas game clearly exposed this deficiency, especially when we looked befuddled in the 1st half.

Jalen appears to be the one to lead next year, I hope Coach gives him the keys. However Jalen showed some flaws mainly frustration type, but Bazz seemed to have the same flaws when he was young, which he learned to contain.

Amida is not really a leader but an encourager and cheerleader, DHam is too passive at least so far, Rodney could but he's had two years also and he didn't emerge.

Solving our leadership issue as well as bringing in the strong recruiting class will certainly make me feel as good as @mauconnfan. Hopefully Ollie appoints the leader in the summer and not wait until practice.

I may seem to put a lot of emphasis on leadership but all of our strong teams had a defined leader, I need to see that and I also feel Jalen can be that leader, he has the qualities, confidence and demeanor.

We will see.

Help me out Kita, how good do I feel? :eek:

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

Either that or we lost to Tulsa and Houston... one or the other.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The PG is going to be an extension of KO on the floor. Until Adams started growing into the role we didn't have that PG so the offense floundered a bit. As the PG going in to next season I expect Adams to become the leader . He has the skills and confidence to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom