I Don't Want to Shaka | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I Don't Want to Shaka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Im really hoping jc retires in a couple weeks. he deserves to enjoy the remaining years of his life with his family while hes still upright. he has absolutley nothing to prove or to lament in his time here as coach. the job should absolutely go to KO because we need to find out what we have with him and the sooner the better. shaka is a great choice i think will be a big time coach someday at a major program and it may be uconn but for now the best decision for this program is to go in house and let the chips fall where they may.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie already deals with the media better than Jim Calhoun ever did. Anything involving people skills would not be a problem.

Are you kidding me? Does Ollie have an ESPN guy in his back pocket?

Reaction Score
Just make Ollie the asssistant coach already, if JC stays on board, why keep Blaney if Ollie is going to be the man? Why not let Ollie get some coaching experience, JC always misses a game or two for health reasons. Let's see what the kid can do.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding me? Does Ollie have an ESPN guy in his back pocket?

I'm sorry, you're right. Jim Calhoun is dearly beloved by the national and local media. He's a regular media darling.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, you're right. Jim Calhoun is dearly beloved by the national and local media. He's a regular media darling.

I accept your apology. You clearly overestimate the hate and underestimate the respect JC gets and has gotten over the years from the media. The NY media loves him. "Media" encompasses more than Yahoo sports and Jeff Jacobs.

Reaction Score
Ollie's experience in the game of basketball more than matches Mike Hopkins. (e.g. Ollie's experience in dealing with the media gallops past whatever experience Hopkins has had talking to Donnie Webb in that one-horse media wasteland.)

That is of zero concern to me.

Both guys are high-risk hires - it's hard to be the guy who follows The Guy. Hopkins may well struggle trying to become the head guy after spending all these many years as the players' 'friend' on staff. Might not be so easy doing things the Jim Boeheim way when he ain't Jim Boeheim.

Of course you're right - most guys who follow a legend don't last more than 2 or 3 years and then wash out. But where did Ollie get the experience to match Mike Hopkins - by sitting on the end of the bench in the NBA for 13 years ?

Reaction Score
Of course you're right - most guys who follow a legend don't last more than 2 or 3 years and then wash out. But where did Ollie get the experience to match Mike Hopkins - by sitting on the end of the bench in the NBA for 13 years ?

You answered it......he played for the likes of Calhoun and then Larry Brown, certainly 2 of the best minds basketball has seen and Larry asked to get him back at least twice because he was a student of the game along with being a hard worker. Does this mean he'll be a better coach than Hopkins...hell no...but if he learned anything more than a 2-3 zone over the years I'm guessing that experience will help eventually!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom