I don't get this UConn entitlement ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I don't get this UConn entitlement ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
As always, I like to try to straddle the middle, since I see the reason in both sides of the argument. I believe that the new Big East additions are good football schools that can only get better and will offer us a path to be better ourselves, on top of the fact that they allow us to increase our television contract more than 4x, rather than to fall apart and attempt a silly path towards independent play.

On the other hand, I realize that many on the board here look at our contemporaries (Pitt, Syracuse) and see how they are going to achieve even larger sums of money and perhaps larger profile football matchups without having done anything differently than we did to deserve it. That ticks them off (that kinda ticks me off, too). Pudge, I think the backlash that you are seeing on the board is not necessarily arrogance in most cases (although it may be in some); it is more likely a feeling of getting crapped on and feeling helpless to do anything about it. And although SDSU / Boise / Temple / etc. didn't do anything to deserve our ire (in fact, they are trying their damned best to help us out!), they are the embodiment of the situation at hand. And the situation is simply less promising than it was one year ago...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think it is entitlement at all. Were my parents wrong in telling me to reach for the stars and surround yourself with those who will make you better? Isnt that why i chose to be part of this board or am I disenchanted :)

Memphis, Fresno, or UNLV? I think there is always better company to keep. Compare rankings (US news and world report) of the schools in top conferences and both the ACC and Big Ten don't water down their academics to meet the demands of rabid athletics fanbases. Barring the bias of the rankings, no one is saying that BYU, Air Force, or Navy (who is committed to the conference) are second to UNLV or Fresno or Memphis (who had Tranghese to fight for them). Are we looking for TV markets, or institutions that challenge us on the field and make us strive for better results in our classrooms. Sure, there is academic corruption and scandal (even at some of the best schools), but I cannot believe that you think that the commitment to academics and athletics that we have are going to receive a boost in the foreseeable future by associating with schools that we are looking at largely in part to their athletic prowess or TV market viewership.

I wiIl wish every institution was building the good education for its students and student-athletes, but the fact of the matter is a conference should have the right to be selective if it is trying to uphold an image and tradition of excellence of the institutions as a whole. Marketing is just one aspect of importance, one created by the television contracts/networks, but I like to think that all of us want the best institutions (we can get) that exceed and/or represent our values. Again, I may be in the minority who sees this as very important.

If you want a conference that is only focused on athletics, we must reinstate the old southwest conference.

Very well said. I wonder if those that think otherwise worry about the friends their children keep?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As always, I like to try to straddle the middle, since I see the reason in both sides of the argument. I believe that the new Big East additions are good football schools that can only get better and will offer us a path to be better ourselves, on top of the fact that they allow us to increase our television contract more than 4x, rather than to fall apart and attempt a silly path towards independent play.

On the other hand, I realize that many on the board here look at our contemporaries (Pitt, Syracuse) and see how they are going to achieve even larger sums of money and perhaps larger profile football matchups without having done anything differently than we did to deserve it. That ticks them off (that kinda ticks me off, too). Pudge, I think the backlash that you are seeing on the board is not necessarily arrogance in most cases (although it may be in some); it is more likely a feeling of getting crapped on and feeling helpless to do anything about it. And although SDSU / Boise / Temple / etc. didn't do anything to deserve our ire (in fact, they are trying their damned best to help us out!), they are the embodiment of the situation at hand. And the situation is simply less promising than it was one year ago...

Boise, Temple and SDSU are attempting to help themselves. If they found something better tomorrow they would be as gone as TCU.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Very well said. I wonder if those that think otherwise worry about the friends their children keep?

C'mon, dude! Comparing being in a conference with Temple as not caring what kids your kid is hanging out with is ridiculous. Really?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Boise, Temple and SDSU are attempting to help themselves. If they found something better tomorrow they would be as gone as TCU.

Everybody is trying to help themselves!!! Holy crap, come on, man! If we found something better, we would be gone too! That's not the point I was making. The point I am making is that we are trying to make a go of this together, because what is the alternative? Everyone joins the MW? Everyone goes independent? Perhaps the SunBelt? That's the point! Let's try to help each other, because that is the best way on how to help ourselves!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If you go into business with someone because you know it is the best situation for you at the time, how on earth can you feel good about publicly crapping on your partner? Especially when crapping on him publicly is a sure-fire way to de-value your joint business venture!!! This is what we have to start to realize as a fanbase, everyone. We will bolt at a better opportunity (so will they). They know it, and we know it. Do we have to degrade them during the period in time where we have to work with them??

Save that for BC. They deserve it...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
C'mon, dude! Comparing being in a conference with Temple as not caring what kids your kid is hanging out with is ridiculous. Really?

It's the same premise. Who you associate with matters. UConn should not associate with schools like Memphis
There is nothing to be gained. I don't put Temple in the same class as Memphis but I wouldn't have added them because there was no reason beyond filling out a 2012 football schedule.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you go into business with someone because you know it is the best situation for you at the time, how on earth can you feel good about publicly crapping on your partner? Especially when crapping on him publicly is a sure-fire way to de-value your joint business venture!!! This is what we have to start to realize as a fanbase, everyone. We will bolt at a better opportunity (so will they). They know it, and we know it. Do we have to degrade them during the period in time where we have to work with them??

So we all know we are in it for ourselves, but we are supposed to pretend they are valuable.

I understand some combination of the current Big East is the best we have right now, but I'm not going to sit here and have people tell me that some of these schools are worth being associated with. I'm not going to ignore comments that Fresno State and UNLV are worthy partners.

The Big East has 50 members and none of these dogshit schools are going anywhere. If the day comes where Fresno State is a legitimate alternative I'll consider it at that point, until then no.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's the same premise. Who you associate with matters. UConn should not associate with schools like Memphis
There is nothing to be gained. I don't put Temple in the same class as Memphis but I wouldn't have added them because there was no reason beyond filling out a 2012 football schedule.

Yes, you're right. It is EXACTLY the same premise. Let's go with it, shall we? Your kid only has 120 other kids in town to associate with, and 60 have already said that they don't want to be his friend, even though they are viewed as the really good kids. Your kid can sit at the lunch table with Temple, a kid that is minding his own business and just trying to better himself, or your kid could sit at another table alone. Those are your kid's two choices!! Do you get it?? So if you want to continue this silly analogy and tell me why it is better to sit at a table alone than to sit with the kid named Temple, you go right ahead and do it. Otherwise, let's get serious about the topic, shall we?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

The bolded part, I would agree with you if you're talking about Pasqualoni at a press conference, or a football player who is being interviewed before a game against Boise or whoever. But when fans talk amongst themselves I don't think too many people take it seriously. I really doubt that what is said on the Boneyard would have any impact on the next TV contract. Though - I could see how Boise fans who came here would feel defensive if we gave them a really hard time about their academics, or if we dissed SMU's basketball team... but hey, it's the internet.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So we all know we are in it for ourselves, but we are supposed to pretend they are valuable.

Yes, that's exactly what you are supposed to do, because as it turns out, they ARE VALUABLE!! They are more valuable than being an independent or joining the MAC or joining the C-USA, do you understand? Perhaps Pudge was on to something and I just couldn't see it...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, you're right. It is EXACTLY the same premise. Let's go with it, shall we? Your kid only has 120 other kids in town to associate with, and 60 have already said that they don't want to be his friend, even though they are viewed as the really good kids. Your kid can sit at the lunch table with Temple, a kid that is minding his own business and just trying to better himself, or your kid could sit at another table alone. Those are your kid's two choices!! Do you get it?? So if you want to continue this silly analogy and tell me why it is better to sit at a table alone than to sit with the kid named Temple, you go right ahead and do it. Otherwise, let's get serious about the topic, shall we?

The Big East already had double digit football members. Was it necessary to add Temple? Were they not going to be available whenever the Big East wanted them? Where were they going to be?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, that's exactly what you are supposed to do, because as it turns out, they ARE VALUABLE!! They are more valuable than being an independent or joining the MAC or joining the C-USA, do you understand? Perhaps Pudge was on to something and I just couldn't see it...

Are you not familiar with the timeline of when Temple and Memphis were invited?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The bolded part, I would agree with you if you're talking about Pasqualoni at a press conference, or a football player who is being interviewed before a game against Boise or whoever. But when fans talk amongst themselves I don't think too many people take it seriously. I really doubt that what is said on the Boneyard would have any impact on the next TV contract. Though - I could see how Boise fans who came here would feel defensive if we gave them a really hard time about their academics, or if we dissed SMU's basketball team... but hey, it's the internet.

I disagree with that, though. It is clear that recruits read these forums. It is also clear that more mainstream bloggers read this post (Frank the Tank, et al) and it could alter the way that they perceive and write about the conference. You may think that all of that has nothing to do with the tv contract, but in the world of tv, the perception IS the reality.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Are you not familiar with the timeline of when Temple and Memphis were invited?

I am more than aware of the timeline. What I am not aware of is what tv consultants who were clearly advising all the presidents of the league (including our very own Susan Herbst) told them in terms of what Temple's and Memphis' values were. What I can say with great confidence is if the presidents of the universities did not believe that those two schools would add value, then they WOULD NOT have been invited! Don't you agree with that premise?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I am more than aware of the timeline. What I am not aware of is what tv consultants who were clearly advising all the presidents of the league (including our very own Susan Herbst) told them in terms of what Temple's and Memphis' values were. What I can say with great confidence is if the presidents of the universities did not believe that those two schools would add value, then they WOULD NOT have been invited! Don't you agree with that premise?

For them to add value to the television deal they would have to be more valuable than the average team before their addition.

That seems absurd on it's face. Temple got an invite so that the football teams could replace WVU on the schedule. I have no idea why Memphis was invited. If Memphis had enough value to raise the boat for the Big East why was CUSA getting paid in Chuck E Cheese tickets?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
For them to add value to the television deal they would have to be more valuable than the average team before their addition.

That seems absurd on it's face. Temple got an invite so that the football teams could replace WVU on the schedule. I have no idea why Memphis was invited. If Memphis had enough value to raise the boat for the Big East why was CUSA getting paid in Chuck E Cheese tickets?

It may seem absurd on it's face to you, and to be very honest, I'm not sure how much the value is that they bring (you may remember that I was one of the opponents to adding Memphis early on), but the reality is that I don't believe that Susan Herbst, et al, would make long-term decisions for their respective universities in order to solve a one year scheduling conflict unless it made financial sense. Period.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It may seem absurd on it's face to you, and to be very honest, I'm not sure how much the value is that they bring (you may remember that I was one of the opponents to adding Memphis early on), but the reality is that I don't believe that Susan Herbst, et al, would make long-term decisions for their respective universities in order to solve a one year scheduling conflict unless it made financial sense. Period.

Susan Herbst has one vote. So the fact it might not align with her priorities means nothing.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There are many positives in the history of the program. We put many guys in the NFL now Won the Big East title twice. I am proud of what has happened. I am a huge fan and I think that I missed 2 Home games since the inception. I am a big fan of PP and think that he has what it takes to get us to the next level.

However let's face it. We have never been a Top 10 team; lost just about every big game (except South Carolina); coach abandoned us for MD as his dream job - wow; can't fill a 40K stadium every week yet WE have the gall to look down our noses at other schools. Give me a break. We don't have the right to complain about anybody, until we bring the program up to the next level.

No question we are not a Top 25 program, but after 7 years at the BCS level we've done fine, better than most would have or ever have. As for our attendance, same thing, while we could use an extra 10-15k every game we are not so far behind the bulk of the big 4 conferences. Not every school is Michigan, and does anyone really believe the numbers from Pitt and BC?

2010 attendance: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2011/Attendance.pdf
Rank, School Games Attendance Average
34. W est Virginia...................................................... 7 394,274 56,325

35. M ississippi........................................................... 7 391,289 55,898

36. Arizona................................................................. 7 387,857 55,408

37. M ississippi St...................................................... 7 384,995 54,999

38. I llinois.................................................................... 6 325,126 54,188

39. M iami (FL)........................................................... 6 315,452 52,575

40. Pittsburgh........................................................... 6 312,991 52,165

41. O klahoma St...................................................... 7 355,684 50,812

42. Louisville.............................................................. 7 354,537 50,648

43. Kansas St.............................................................. 6 298,897 49,816

44. E ast Carolina...................................................... 6 297,987 49,665

45. M innesota........................................................... 7 346,593 49,513

46. Purdue.................................................................. 7 336,443 48,063

47. Arizona St............................................................ 6 287,657 47,943

48. Colorado.............................................................. 6 281,182 46,864

49. G eorgia Tech...................................................... 6 278,696 46,449

50. Rutgers................................................................. 7 323,368 46,195

51. O regon St............................................................ 6 273,054 45,509

52. Utah....................................................................... 6 272,754 45,459

53. Virginia.................................................................. 7 318,212 45,459

54. I owa St.................................................................. 7 317,767 45,395

55. Kansas................................................................... 7 313,955 44,851

56. TCU......................................................................... 6 254,797 42,466

57. I ndiana.................................................................. 6 251,718 41,953

58. South Fla.............................................................. 7 285,946 40,849

59. Air Force............................................................... 6 240,560 40,093

60. Syracuse............................................................... 6 240,385 40,064

61. B aylor.................................................................... 6 240,259 40,043

62. Stanford............................................................... 6 240,254 40,042

63. UCF......................................................................... 7 277,301 39,614

64. M aryland............................................................. 6 235,007 39,168

65. B oston College.................................................. 7 268,585 38,369

66. Connecticut........................................................ 6 229,488 38,248

67. Hawaii................................................................... 8 298,486 37,311

68. Northwestern.................................................... 6 218,696 36,449

69. Cincinnati............................................................ 7 245,472 35,067

70. San Diego St....................................................... 7 238,930 34,133

71. Fresno St.............................................................. 7 238,841 34,120

72. Vanderbilt............................................................ 7 232,885 33,269

73. B oise St................................................................. 6 199,611 33,269

74. Navy....................................................................... 5 163,266 32,653

75. Houston............................................................... 6 190,366 31,728

76. Army...................................................................... 5 158,334 31,667

77. W ake Forest........................................................ 6 182,843 30,474

78. Southern Miss................................................... 6 176,400 29,400

79. UTEP...................................................................... 6 176,097 29,350

80. D uke...................................................................... 7 201,248 28,750

81. M arshall................................................................ 6 162,276 27,046

82. Rice......................................................................... 7 178,994 25,571

83. W ashington St................................................... 6 147,194 24,532

84. M emphis.............................................................. 6 143,509 23,918

85. SMU....................................................................... 7 164,602 23,515

86. Tulane................................................................... 7 162,543 23,220

87. Colorado St......................................................... 5 111,998 22,400

88. La.-Monroe......................................................... 6 125,603 20,934

89. New Mexico....................................................... 6 125,330 20,888

90. W yoming............................................................. 6 124,747 20,791

91. UNLV...................................................................... 6 123,672 20,612

92. Temple.................................................................. 6 123,088 20,515

93. Central Mich....................................................... 5 102,238 20,448

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst has one vote. So the fact it might not align with her priorities means nothing.

That's why I typed "et al". I meant them all...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Just to show you what our new partners are starting to do in light of our new partnership. Here is what a quick google search provided me just now, in terms of some of our newest members pumping in more money to upgrade their facilities in light of joining the Big East:

http://www.smumustangs.com/genrel/061110aaa.html

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-ups-the-sports-ante-by-160-million-1708595.php

http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/t...g-tour-blossoms-into-an-rc-farewell-bash.html

http://news.boisestate.edu/update/2...pledge-5-million-to-bronco-stadium-expansion/

That is four of the new members, and I'm sure that more of the new members are doing the exact same thing. Let's at least respect the fact that they are also trying to better themselves, and by default, the conference, before we crap all over them.

Reaction Score
I was only offline for about 10 hours, but I guess I missed a lot of diaglogue. I just read through this twice, and it is still not clear to me what this thread is about. Did I miss something?

Reaction Score
N
I was only offline for about 10 hours, but I guess I missed a lot of diaglogue. I just read through this twice, and it is still not clear to me what this thread is about. Did I miss something?
No not really

Reaction Score
Just to show you what our new partners are starting to do in light of our new partnership. Here is what a quick google search provided me just now, in terms of some of our newest members pumping in more money to upgrade their facilities in light of joining the Big East:

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-ups-the-sports-ante-by-160-million-1708595.php

http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/t...g-tour-blossoms-into-an-rc-farewell-bash.html

http://news.boisestate.edu/update/2...pledge-5-million-to-bronco-stadium-expansion/

That is four of the new members, and I'm sure that more of the new members are doing the exact same thing. Let's at least respect the fact that they are also trying to better themselves, and by default, the conference, before we crap all over them.
Great post. I hope that in 5 years that we have abandoned all ideas of entering another conference and the Big East is one of the stronger conferences. Stop with this ACC whining.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Um, you linked to a June 2010 article where SMU is getting a new video board - has nothing to do with the Big East and who cares.

Houston's article is also from June 2010 - they are probably the best of the additions - light years better than Memphis for example. Do you have the link where they actually get $115 for the naming rights on their stadiums (since that is what pays for it)? 55 million for the ancillary naming rights to their football stadium seems a bit aggressive.

Boise certainly wins football games - it's easier to look the other way that the reason they win some of those games is because they admit students who can't qualify at Pac-12 schools. There is no way they can work out in the long run because the geography is ridiculous. I've been to Boise and a few other cities in Idaho... it might as well be on the dark side of the moon. When they stop winning like they have recently - and that will happen - what sense will they make?

As for Memphis, you should post the article that talks about them being happy with something like $8 million in a TV contract. The numbers this league will generate might sound great for Memphis, but they are a death sentence for UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom