I don't follow recruiting like some of you, but.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I don't follow recruiting like some of you, but..

Reaction Score
If we consistently land top 10 classes you might have something. Otherwise probably not. UConn can probably recruit top 20ish classes all day long.
Not under Ollie in the AAC. We recruited mid-40th ranked classes all day long.

Just getting top 30 would be an improvement.

In fact, we only had 1 top 20 class our entire time in the AAC under Ollie.

You and palatine have really swung and missed on this hot take.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
We never got a top #5 class while we were in the AAC. If you're gonna post nonsense and freak out about fact vs. opinion, at least be accurate with your "facts."

We did have a #8 class in the country as part of AAC according to 247, so the poster is not too far off. But it is sandwiched around class rankings of 47 and 84. Furthermore, only 1 of the 5 players recruited as part of the #8 class (2016) will play 4 full seasons for UConn. We got some good recruits while part of the AAC, they just didn't stick around or stay healthy. The new regime has already started to turn around this trend and the move to the BE is extra wind beneath their wings. Looking forward to many more top 20 classes under DH for years to come!

Reaction Score
The number 8 in the nation class is flawed too and indicative of the Ollie era IMO. Looking at those players, who really played up to or exceeded the hype/ ranking?
Gilbert-TBD due to inj. But I believe he will
Durham-Nope
Vance-nope
Mama-nope, again due to unfortunate circumstances
CV-exceed

Reaction Score
Class ranks are based on an aggregation of points, and as a result, quantity has a big influence on it. I care about how good the average recruit is more than class rank. Ollie was doing very well until his 2017 class, by which time things were going far downhill.

Reaction Score
We did have a #8 class in the country as part of AAC according to 247, so the poster is not too far off. But it is sandwiched around class rankings of 47 and 84. Furthermore, only 1 of the 5 players recruited as part of the #8 class (2016) will play 4 full seasons for UConn. We got some good recruits while part of the AAC, they just didn't stick around or stay healthy. The new regime has already started to turn around this trend and the move to the BE is extra wind beneath their wings. Looking forward to many more top 20 classes under Dan Hurley for years to come!

I was just pointing out that the guy who was taking other people to task over "facts" was touting "facts" that aren't "facts." Ollie never had a top 5 class in the AAC.

Reaction Score
I was just pointing out that the guy who was taking other people to task over "facts" was touting "facts" that aren't "facts." Ollie never had a top 5 class in the AAC.
Some people struggle to differentiate fact from opinion.

Reaction Score

You mean that UConn never had a class nationally ranked #5 after it joined the AAC, right?

Because surely the Durham, Jackson, etc. class was in the top 5 of the AAC.

Reaction Score
You mean that UConn never had a class nationally ranked #5 after it joined the AAC, right?

Because surely the Durham, Jackson, etc. class was in the top 5 of the AAC.
I was responding to freescooter's "fact" that Ollie brought in a top 5 class while we were in the AAC, it never happened.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The number 8 in the nation class is flawed too and indicative of the Ollie era IMO. Looking at those players, who really played up to or exceeded the hype/ ranking?
Gilbert-TBD due to inj. But I believe he will
Durham-Nope
Vance-nope
Mama-nope, again due to unfortunate circumstances
CV-exceed

According to 247 Gilbert, Durham and Jackson were the 12, 17 and 24 best recruits to come to UConn since 247 started their composite ranking in the mid 2000's. All 3 are graded as better recruits than Shabazz, who is probably the second best guard we had since the 247 composite rankings began (he is our 25th best recruit according to 247). Rankings are subjective and clearly can be wrong. And to your point, none of these guys even came close to matching their hype in a UConn uniform, and coaching was certainly a factor.

Even if Hurley's classes or recruits don't grade out as high as some of the "studs" Ollie recruited over the years, Hurley has proven he can get the most out of every player regardless of their HS recruiting rank. Carlton is exhibit A.

pj

Reaction Score
"Facts are the enemy of truth." Source unknown.

Source sufficiently aware of the idiocy of that statement that he wisely concealed his identity.

Reaction Score
Source sufficiently aware of the idiocy of that statement that he wisely concealed his identity.
I read it as sarcasm in a way. Everyone has their "truth", but the facts decide whose "truth" is more accurate.

Reaction Score
I read it as sarcasm in a way. Everyone has their "truth", but the facts decide whose "truth" is more accurate.
I think that you are missing the point. It is easy to report facts in a way that distort or obscure the truth. Early in my career when I was a financial analyst I did that all the time. No matter how poorly our organization was doing, I could generate a report that made us look successful. Once, an executive from corporate headquarters addressed our management group and made that statement. Most of us thought he misspoke until we realized that what he said was insightful. Just look at the media today. They do it all the time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think everyone is missing the point here.

Tennessee just went to a final four with all 3 star kids. Wichita State has relied almost entirely on 3 stars. VanVleet was the #92 ranked kid by ESPN, but he's also a solid NBA PG now. Remember Landry Shamet? Nice player right, 3 star not top 100. Gonzaga is now recruiting well, but Few built that program on under-recruited kids and internationals. Aubrey Dawkins was a hell of a player for UCF last year, he was #396 when he went to Michigan. Rob Gray at Houston, not top 100, went JUCO. Armoni Brooks, 3 star, not top 100.

The point about Hurley is that he made URI a top 25 team without recruiting the kinds of kids he's brought to UConn (Adams aside). I think Terrell and Harris were his only top 100 guys. That tells me he has an eye for under-recruited kids who can be coached up and become contributors. Calhoun was similar. I look at guys like Gaffney and Bouknight and I'm pretty sure their ranking doesn't tell the story of what they can become. Even Adams is going to be a player.

Reaction Score
I look at guys like Gaffney and Bouknight and I'm pretty sure their ranking doesn't tell the story of what they can become. Even Adams is going to be a player.

gaffney and bouk (and akok) are all 4* guys tho, i haven't heard anyone doubt their collective potential. we can all be thrilled with the 2019 class while also being skeptical of a potential richmond and cardwell class. for me, the skepticism isn't because hurley can't make chicken salad out of chicken 'ish (as he did at URI), it's the simple fact that going from #18 to #80 in recruiting classes is a tiny bit underwhelming in light of the big east move. it would be a different story if richmond and cardwell were his top targets all along but they weren't.

if kadary is the only wing we bring in then either he, adams, or wilson will have to start next year. my money is on adams at the moment, purely based off this summer's maturation/growth.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

I think that you are missing the point. It is easy to report facts in a way that distort or obscure the truth. Early in my career when I was a financial analyst I did that all the time. No matter how poorly our organization was doing, I could generate a report that made us look successful. Once, an executive from corporate headquarters addressed our management group and made that statement. Most of us thought he misspoke until we realized that what he said was insightful. Just look at the media today. They do it all the time.

I have worked at 3 Fortune 500 companies and seldom is there anything other than a positive spin on an earnings report. If the stock price trend moves in variance to the narrative you need to dig deeper to understand the numbers better. It’s not that anything is untrue, it’s what they choose to emphasize or de-emphasize in their summary/narrative.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I have worked at 3 Fortune 500 companies and seldom is there anything other than a positive spin on an earnings report. If the stock price trend moves in variance to the narrative you need to dig deeper to understand the numbers better. It’s not that anything is untrue, it’s what they choose to emphasize or de-emphasize in their summary/narrative.
When it comes to spinning Fortune 500 companies have nothing on the Boneyard.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
gaffney and bouk (and akok) are all 4* guys tho, i haven't heard anyone doubt their collective potential. we can all be thrilled with the 2019 class while also being skeptical of a potential richmond and cardwell class. for me, the skepticism isn't because hurley can't make chicken salad out of chicken 'ish (as he did at URI), it's the simple fact that going from #18 to #80 in recruiting classes is a tiny bit underwhelming in light of the big east move. it would be a different story if richmond and cardwell were his top targets all along but they weren't.

if kadary is the only wing we bring in then either he, adams, or wilson will have to start next year. my money is on adams at the moment, purely based off this summer's maturation/growth.

Yes, and you can argue Akok is a 5* if not for early enrollment. My point is he is bringing in better players than he did at URI, and yet I think they are able to improve as his URI players did. Meaning UConn has top ten potential under Hurley, not bottom of the top 25 potential like URI.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
My casual observation over the years is that the top 30 ranked players on Rivals, 247 etc. for the most part are ranked correctly. 31-100 is wildly inconsistent concerning how they played in the college game. Would I rather get player 40 over player 80? Certainly. But 80 maybe be a better fit for the team. And 80 maybe a better player in general. I believe the move to the NBE will help Hurley recruit top 30 guys.

Reaction Score
My casual observation over the years is that the top 30 ranked players on Rivals, 247 etc. for the most part are ranked correctly. 31-100 is wildly inconsistent concerning how they played in the college game. Would I rather get player 40 over player 80? Certainly. But 80 maybe be a better fit for the team. And 80 maybe a better player in general. I believe the move to the NBE will help Hurley recruit top 30 guys.

sure, cant argue with any of that but i don't think anyones holding their breath for a 2020 class of top 80 players anymore

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom