I don't follow recruiting like some of you, but.. | The Boneyard

I don't follow recruiting like some of you, but..

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
pay attention to what you all say. I have one question that I would clarified. Of the recruits that DH has landed or presumably will land, how many could he have attracted to URI. Is he able to get a higher quality player at UConn. If there is a difference, can that difference be quantified?

Reaction Score
pay attention to what you all say. I have one question that I would clarified. Of the recruits that Dan Hurley has landed or presumably will land, how many could he have attracted to URI. Is he able to get a higher quality player at UConn. If there is a difference, can that difference be quantified?

I mean we’ve supposedly had the #3 recruit in the nation “fall into our lap”

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
2016 might be the most “comparable” class to 2019. They had 4 commits.

The four URI recruits and their 247 rank:
- Mike Layssard (267)
- Jeff Dowtin (273)
- Michael Tertsea (287)
- Cyril Langevine (326)

We had 4 HS commits and 1 transfer in 2019.

The 4 UConn recruits and their 247 rank:
- James Bouknight (66)
- Jalen Gaffney (104)
- Akok Akok (91)
- Richard Springs (160)

Also to note that Akok and Springs got knocked for reclassifying.

Based on this “quantifiable data” the difference between the two is staggering.

Reaction Score
Hurley coached at URI for 6 years and brought in 3 top 100 recruits (I'm giving him credit for Jermaine Harris). None of the classes were ranked in the top 50 nationally.

Our '19 class has 3 top 100 recruits and is ranked 18th nationally.

So at URI maybe he could have brought in one of our current recruits along with some 200+ guys? The recruiting upgrade provided by coaching a historic program like ours is massive, and just wait until we are back in the BE...

Reaction Score
Best recruits, as freshmen, at URI were Jared Terrell and Jermaine Harris (top 100) and EC Matthews (right around 100). Kuran Iverson and Stan Robinson were former top 100 guys that he got as transfers, after their initial situations didn’t work out. All five were 4 star guys. The ‘19 class at UConn alone has three 4 star guys. Hassan Martin (top 150) and Cyril Langevine were NYC area recruits that outplayed their rankings. Jeff Dowtin is another guy who has outplayed his ranking, and Tyrese Martin could be another. Recruiting rankings aren’t everything and mistakes are made, but it’s not a bad start if you’re looking for something quantifiable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley coached at URI for 6 years and brought in 3 top 100 recruits (I'm giving him credit for Jermaine Harris). None of the classes were ranked in the top 50 nationally.

Our '19 class has 3 top 100 recruits and is ranked 18th nationally.

So at URI maybe he could have brought in one of our current recruits along with some 200+ guys? The recruiting upgrade provided by coaching a historic program like ours is massive, and just wait until we are back in the BE...
Ollie brought in a top five class recruiting in the country as a member of the AAC. Hurley brought in a top 18 class in the same conference (before the NBE announcement). The NBE is unlikely to affect out recruiting very much. We should continue to bring n top 20 classes and NOT because of the NBE.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Ollie brought in a top five class recruiting in the country as a member of the AAC. Hurley brought in a top 18 class in the same conference (before the NBE announcement). The NBE is unlikely to affect out recruiting very much. We should continue to bring n top 20 classes and NOT because of the NBE.

This has already been directly contradicted by both the staff and current targets.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Best recruits, as freshmen, at URI were Jared Terrell and Jermaine Harris (top 100) and EC Matthews (right around 100). Kuran Iverson and Stan Robinson were former top 100 guys that he got as transfers, after their initial situations didn’t work out. All five were 4 star guys. The ‘19 class at UConn alone has three 4 star guys. Hassan Martin (top 150) and Cyril Langevine were NYC area recruits that outplayed their rankings. Jeff Dowtin is another guy who has outplayed his ranking, and Tyrese Martin could be another. Recruiting rankings aren’t everything and mistakes are made, but it’s not a bad start if you’re looking for something quantifiable.
Wow! What excites me the most about your post?

That Dan has an uptick in recruitment with UConn demonstrating the UConn brand is still strong.

That Dan recruited well at URI demonstrating he has connections and the ability to relate to talent.

Or that Dan can find and develop players others overlook.

I’ll take the trifecta for $500!

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Wow! What excites me the most about your post?

That Dan has an uptick in recruitment with UConn demonstrating the UConn brand is still strong.

That Dan recruited well at URI demonstrating he has connections and the ability to relate to talent.

Or that Dan can find and develop players others overlook.

I’ll take the trifecta for $500!
Those are all awesome but the most exciting things are that 1) the players he recruits actually improve under him, and 2) his teams are well-coached.

We saw with Ollie's 2016 class that getting great talent doesn't matter if you can't coach them into great players.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I mean we’ve supposedly had the #3 recruit in the nation “fall into our lap”
This is the mens team we are talking about not the womens

Reaction Score
Your facts are irrelevant and don’t support the proposition you paired them to.
They kinda do. Pal provided facts about recruiting in the AAC. You provided opinion about what might happen in the Big East. Then say his facts don’t support his proposition. If we consistently land top 10 classes you might have something. Otherwise probably not. UConn can probably recruit top 20ish classes all day long.

Reaction Score
The NBE is unlikely to affect out recruiting very much.

Opinion, not fact.

And it's an opinion that isn't supported by those who are involved in recruiting.

I think that changes everything for recruiting for Danny.”
"I think now that they’re back in the Big East, they have a totally different sway in their recruiting.”

"Still, Albany Academy coach Brian Fruscio agreed with Mantegna that a return to the Big East would be a boost for the Huskies. 'Yeah, I think it will influence kids because now if they’re a Northeast kid, not only can your parents see you play at home, now you can see them play on the road. You can see them play at St. John’s, Seton Hall, Providence, Villanova so I can drive and my parents can see me play,” he said. “So I think from a logistical standpoint it brings them into being a major player that they always were.

“Because of where we want to recruit and how we want to build it, the thing that we had to talk around to a kid from Brooklyn was, you know, Tulsa, Tulane, the Texas schools,” he said. “That didn’t necessarily fit what they envisioned in college — Madison Square Garden, the Big East Tournament, Villanova.”

“Kids are getting back to me a lot quicker,” he said. “And some guys who weren’t being as responsive, who I stopped communicating with, did come out of the woodwork and ask me how I was doing.”

Hurley believes the move will "definitely enhance" recruiting.
"When you're going into homes in Boston and Queens and Jersey and Philly and D.C. and Baltimore, it's a lot easier to sell big rivalry games vs. Villanova, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Providence than it is with the geography of the AAC," Hurley said of a league that includes Memphis, Houston, Tulane, Tulsa and two Florida schools.

"I hired a staff with the mindset of recruiting certain regions and this just fits perfectly into that."

Lastly, Ollie's best class was recruited after he won a national title with Big East players.

Reaction Score
They kinda do. Pal provided facts about recruiting in the AAC. You provided opinion about what might happen in the Big East. Then say his facts don’t support his proposition. If we consistently land top 10 classes you might have something. Otherwise probably not. UConn can probably recruit top 20ish classes all day long.
He cherry picked the top class from the year after the NC and left out all of the other mediocre classes; and ignored the reaction from coaches heavily involved in HS basketball and recruiting in our recruiting footprint, as well as direct quotes from the coach who said recruits are getting back to him quicker, and others who had completely stopped responding to him are now reaching out to Hurley.

But other than that, yeah his "facts" support his opinion, one that those who know better, completely disagree with.

Reaction Score
Big East will imo definitely improve recruiting how could it not. Reading Wings post lays it all out. Hurley must have been ecstatic after hearing the news of going back to the BE.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how the Carlton, Whaley and Polly class is viewed at the end of their 4 years.

What was that class ranked?

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how the Carlton, Whaley and Polly class is viewed at the end of their 4 years.

What was that class ranked?
84th. When you grade it out, don't forget Kwintin Williams who was part of that class.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom