I don't expect us to get out of the 50's against SC, maybe not even out of the 40's... but that's okay! | The Boneyard

I don't expect us to get out of the 50's against SC, maybe not even out of the 40's... but that's okay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are so shorthanded, and SC is so deep. They play great defense, and I expect them to bully Lou (and others). We can't afford fouls, but they can. We are tired, they are not. I hope we can keep it close (at least for a while), but I won't be surprised if we don't. SC is a great team, and beating them twice in one year would be really hard... and this is not the game that matters. Hopefully, if/when we meet them down the road, we have our full complement of players (and maybe they are a little overconfident?) and we can surprise the world. I hope I'm wrong about Sunday, but that I'm right about my last sentence here. :)

JBK

Reaction Score
50s and 40s? That would make us dead...not tired.
Agreed. Many are saying this game does not matter because they are afraid we will get killed.
If Azzi does not come back - Caroline has been off most of the year and even back may not change outcomes - Azzi can !!!
15,000 people
Beating an undefeated # 1 team
Great advantage in the seeding
UConn pride
National TV
Recruiting
It really means something
Last year they were tougher, faster and stronger - and more talented

That may the case this year as well - but heart and desire can win on any given day. I am more worried about foul trouble than tiredness.
Geno’s practices are tougher than a 40 minute game.
As Geno says - they need to all play up to their potential and Aubrey may be our secret sauce tomorrow.
Look forward to seeing a great game.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We have enough talent to win. It's 5 on 5, and we match up better with Boston this game than we did last game.

I think Destiny Henderson was the difference in the title game, and she's playing professionally this year

We have a chance, maybe the crowd can help bring it home. I'll do my best. :)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
That may the case this year as well - but heart and desire can win on any given day. I am more worried about foul trouble than tiredness.
Geno’s practices are tougher than a 40 minute game.
As Geno says - they need to all play up to their potential and Aubrey may be our secret sauce tomorrow.
Look forward to seeing a great game.
It's turn that Geno's practices are tougher than games, however this year, he's not had the opportunity to hold full practices. Geno commented that the staff has incredible trust with the players as they have taken it upon themselves to do things as expected.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Man oh Man so many negative comments and thoughts. We are a really good team with height and players shooting over 50%. Maybe SC defense can hold that down but I would think with the addition of Dorka and Aubrey this season we should be competitive on the boards. Its gonna be a good game but continuous comments of us loosing...well I dont think that way.

There are 2 types of people in the world. Those who think they can and those who think they cant and theyre both right.

Reaction Score
And that might still be enough to beat them. They’re offensively challenged from the outside and if the refs call it correctly on Boston’s multiple 3 second violations in the lane, we win in an ugly game.

JBK

Reaction Score
It's turn that Geno's practices are tougher than games, however this year, he's not had the opportunity to hold full practices. Geno commented that the staff has incredible trust with the players as they have taken it upon themselves to do things as expected.
Agreed with practice time.
I just think these players are conditioned to play 40 minutes with 15000 people fueling their adrenaline.
Geno only liked playing 7 kids anyway, but the only problem is the next 2 off the bench
Just hope they can avoid the lazy fouls.

Reaction Score
In the NC game a couple things beat us, rebounding (and put backs) and hot shooting by a guard (Destiny Henderson). We didn't have Dorka in that game and Aaliyah wasn't playing at an AA level that season. We have Dorka this time and she has been a double double machine and AA is competing for POY honors - that is a considerable upgrade. Aubrey didn't play last year and Nika wasn't counted on to do much.Those two are our best defenders and in most games this season some combination of them has been called upon to shut/slow down the opponents outside scoring threat(s). The SC guards are going to be facing a great deal more pressure and have to put contested shots up. On top of that both Aubrey and Nika are good rebounders and alternate on leading the team in steals this season.

Without looking at last seasons NC game's box score, if If I recall correctly, Paige was pretty much our offense with Evina playing her heart out a second contributor. Well this season we have Lou, Aubrey, Dorka and Aaliyah all taking turns leading the team in scoring and rarely are we not getting a good offensive game by at least two of them. And then we have Nika, scoring consistently when she has an open look (which most likely she will given today on several occasions), not to mention the girl doesn't know the meaning of the word quit. You may recall in a recent interview in response to a question as to how she felt after she put the ball down on the court to end their last meeting - her answer wasn't disappointed or sad it was Angry! Enough said. This team feeds off her energy and it will be in no short supply today.

This starting five have fought together through anything that has been thrown at them and found a way. They know each others tendencies, strengths and weaknesses like the backs of their hands. If they can stay on the court (please - no injuries, avoiding foul trouble) my money (figuratively) and heart (proudly) are with them 100%.

Hope all you folks that will be seeing it live at the XL center are a little louder for those of us watching it on TV. My 100 y.o. dad and I will be glued to the action from afar.

Reaction Score
This is self-comforting behavior. I get it. We’re all worried about our team. So we imagine the worst and try to discount it in advance. At bottom, it’s an expression of love.

Of course, this isn’t what any of the Huskies are doing. Certainly not Nika.

Reaction Score
Well, I never thought I’d make it out of my 20s. I’m figuring the alcohol acted as a preservative.
Minus 17 degrees F with wind chill of minus 34 in Maine yesterday... In Hartford our
team will be "hot" and will" fight them on the beaches, fight them in the hedge roads",
... you get the idea... April will be the rematch!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well, I never thought I’d make it out of my 20s. I’m figuring the alcohol acted as a preservative.
Hops are also a preservative. ;)

I'd be fine with UConn scoring in the mid-high 50's, but if in the 40's, I'd consider that a problem. I agree with some posts above that it will all come down to rebounding. If UConn can get some defensive rebounds and get out in transition, that will lead to some points. Of course, SoCar's guards leave the offensive rebounding to the bigs, so their transition defense is excellent.

Reaction Score
Last time essentially no Azzi either. Also we had no Dorka or Aubrey or Nike Ball!

Reaction Score
The key to winning for Connecticut is to jump out ahead early. It's too draining if they have to spend the whole game playing catch up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hops are also a preservative. ;)
I’ve gotta say I’m over hoppy beers. Smithwick’s is my current beer of choice.

Reaction Score
Last time essentially no Azzi either. Also we had no Dorka or Aubrey or Nike Ball!
Last time Azzi played almost half the game and Paige the entire game. Plus we had 3 others that were in the WNBA two weeks later. That was a pretty good team that got blown out last time.

Reaction Score
Last time Azzi played almost half the game and Paige the entire game. Plus we had 3 others that were in the WNBA two weeks later. That was a pretty good team that got blown out last time.
Won’t happen different team different dynamics. We’re at full strength, we win, I don’t care what you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom