I could give a rats ass moving forward | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I could give a rats ass moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BC also has 3 current football Coaches on its staff that were born or raised in Connecticut :

Steve Addazio... Farmington, CT.... Head Coach
Kevin Lempa..... Hartford, CT .... 16 years at BC at various Coaching positions.
Frank Leonard....Farmington, CT... 2nd year at BC... QB Coach

Really? Who gives a flying fluck about BC!!!!!!! Nobody is talking about coaches or BC! Go play somewhere else today.

Reaction Score
Really? Who gives a flying fluck about BC!!!!!!! Nobody is talking about coaches or BC! Go play somewhere else today.

Sorry Medic I agree tuck BC, but that's got a bog reason why BC gets commits from top UConn players every year. Quansah 4* out of CT is a BC lean, and Outlaw last year. That's a problem.

Reaction Score
I suppose its true, this was only the question posed above re. "players" not former players that might now be " Coaches "). I also provided links to ALL the football players... BC or otherwise... that played in the NFL at one time or another that were from Connecticut ( my family state ). So just relax, or you'll have a stroke.

Reaction Score
I suppose its true, this was only the question posed above re. "players" not former players that might now be " Coaches "). I also provided links to ALL the football players... BC or otherwise... that played in the NFL at one time or another that were from Connecticut ( my family state ). So just relax, or you'll have a stroke.

Was anyone asking about basketball?? It's your continuing MO... attempt to hijack a thread and spin towards a BC slant. Then you spend the time trying to convince people the merits of BC. Tone deaf!

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Garry Cobb (who lasted about a dozen years in the NFL) couldn't have been more than three years old when his family moved to Stamford (he was a senior at Stamford High when I was a freshman and nearly destroyed me in a scrimmage). Steve Young was two years behind me at Greenwich High but I remember him reasonably well (even though I was in college his junior and senior seasons). He ran an option, seldom threw the ball and ran like a bull (a very fast bull). A ton of schools (mostly wishbone programs from the south) recruited him and many people though he was nuts going to Lavell Edwards' pass happy offense at BYU.

A little before my time, FCF, but much more impressive than my resume'.

I hang my hat on the chance that I'm the only person on the planet to have intercepted a pass from both Rico Brogna AND Steve Young's younger brother, Tom, in high school as well as have Mo Vaughn hit a 470'+ home run off them in an American Legion game.

Reaction Score
I hang my hat on the chance that I'm the only person on the planet to have intercepted a pass from both Rico Brogna AND Steve Young's younger brother, Tom, in high school as well as have Mo Vaughn hit a 470'+ home run off them in an American Legion game.

Boneyard Trivia for $300 Alex...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A little before my time, FCF, but much more impressive than my resume'.

I don't know what I did that was impressive but thank you for the comment. They had freshman scrimmage against varsity after a few weeks of practice, Garry weight about 210 at the time and I was about 125 soaking wet (I've added a few pounds since then). I was in his way on a running play (he played DB on occasion, also LB, DE, TE and RB, he was a ridiculous athlete) and he plowed right through me to make the tackle on a sweep.

I remember Steve's brother Mike (he was QB on the Kenny Bell team). Having a pick from both Brogna and Young is pretty damned impressive!

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I don't know what I did that was impressive but thank you for the comment.

"Garry Cobb (who lasted about a dozen years in the NFL) couldn't have been more than three years old when his family moved to Stamford (he was a senior at Stamford High when I was a freshman and nearly destroyed me in a scrimmage)."

Experiencing that and living to talk about it proudly is extremely impressive my friend. Much cooler than the drunken story I get to embarrass myself with at parties.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The offensive captain of the of the Super Bowl I champion Green Bay Packers went to Fairfield Prep. Him, the defensive captain and Lombardi designed the first Super Bowl ring.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
The offensive captain of the of the Super Bowl I champion Green Bay Packers went to Fairfield Prep. Him, the defensive captain and Lombardi designed the first Super Bowl ring.

Good find, Butch.

I think I remember a thread here bitching about Randy not recruiting them.

Reaction Score
Right now, Villanova would trounce us.
Carl, fact of the matter is, any team - ANY - with a coherent offense would beat us. Any team. I mean UMASS, Fordham, anyone with a QB and a couple of guys who could block. We don't have an offense. You see a lot teams winning even though they give up points in the 30s. That's because they score in the 40s. We have no offense. Real bad luck recruiting quarterbacks, keeping them on the team, keeping them healthy. UConn is not a destination for offense, coaches or players.

Reaction Score
We forgot Kevin Pierre-Louis (Stratford, CT) Played LB for Boston College and he got drafted last year by the Seahawks.

Reaction Score
There was a year about 5 seasons back where 7 or 8 Conn. kids went in the NFL draft. You have to include David Reed in that with Spievey and several others like Baker. Granted, it's a very rare year. But you can't give up on top kids nor can you allow Matakevich and Knighton to get away just because they're from Conn.

I suppose the reason posts like this are made is because of Boyle. Don't forget though that Boyle had other offers. Not like no one outside Conn. had ever heard of them. He was well regarded because of his very good arm.

AND, Edsall used to grab a bunch of Conn. OL with no offers and turn them into players. Hicks, Thomas, several others.

Reaction Score
The actual quote:

"We're going to go Boston to Buffalo through Syracuse, Rochester," he said. "We're going to go down from Boston through Connecticut and out through the tip of Long Island. We're going to hit all the boroughs of New York because New York's football is really improving. It's really a great spot to go and kind of underrecruited frankly, down to Baltimore over to D.C., touch Northern Virginia and then go up to eastern Pennsylvania, slightly west of Philadelphia, then snap a line from there right up through New York State. That is going to be our main recruiting area. "

After all of that, Diaco did more research. "Direct flights from major metro cities that have multiple flights per day to Bradley International from major metro cities that also have American Athletic Conference cache," Diaco said. "We're going to drop into the metro cities." Those cities include Dallas, Cincinnati and Charlotte, N.C.<<

Based on current known offers (outside of Prep kids)... CT seems to be less of a focus than under PP.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that if you thought it was legit to chase off Frey over grad school you can't say that UConn missed on the Knightons.

Reaction Score
The actual quote:

"We're going to go Boston to Buffalo through Syracuse, Rochester," he said. "We're going to go down from Boston through Connecticut and out through the tip of Long Island. We're going to hit all the boroughs of New York because New York's football is really improving. It's really a great spot to go and kind of underrecruited frankly, down to Baltimore over to D.C., touch Northern Virginia and then go up to eastern Pennsylvania, slightly west of Philadelphia, then snap a line from there right up through New York State. That is going to be our main recruiting area. "

After all of that, Diaco did more research. "Direct flights from major metro cities that have multiple flights per day to Bradley International from major metro cities that also have American Athletic Conference cache," Diaco said. "We're going to drop into the metro cities." Those cities include Dallas, Cincinnati and Charlotte, N.C.<<

Based on current known offers (outside of Prep kids)... CT seems to be less of a focus than under PP.

Reaction Score
The actual quote:

Medic...one thing Diaco did when after he put his staff together was reach out to every hs coach in the state...it's split between staff members so they each can concentrate on a small area.

Reaction Score
Dwight Freeney, Aaron Hernandez, Jordan Reed, David Reed, Bruce Campbell, Tyler Murphy, Chris Baker, Niko Koutouvides, John Jenkins, Donald Thomas, Terrance Knighton, John Sullivan, Amari Spievey, Rob Jackson, Khairi Fortt, Silas Redd, John Moffitt, Matt Shaughnessy, Damik Scafe, Nate Collins, Kory Sheets.
Amari Spievey...the kid who wasn't a D-1A BCS level football player according to Rob Ambrose...LOL

Reaction Score
Medic...one thing Diaco did when after he put his staff together was reach out to every hs coach in the state...it's split between staff members so they each can concentrate on a small area.

No argument and as he should have... but based on 2015 offers that are known, there appears to be less focus on CT and more on out of state targets (could be depth of talent this year and talent committed elsewhere already as well). You need to assess and recruit CT but you don't need to over saturate it.

Reaction Score
No argument and as he should have... but based on 2015 offers that are known, there appears to be less focus on CT and more on out of state targets (could be depth of talent this year and talent committed elsewhere already as well). You need to assess and recruit CT but you don't need to over saturate it.

Great point...

Reaction Score
I will give you that semi reluctantly - not the norm.

Give me your breakdown on Stewart, Boyle, kurceza (sp), Newsome and others.

Silas Redd - really? I will look up his college career # 's vs McCombs career # 's later today and get back to you on that one - Khari Fortt too, right??

There is no reason to focus on CT kids - they are coached poorly in HS and show up with what seems to be a low level FB IQ. Talk to me about the ones we have??
Not saying we have to concintrate on CT players but it does generate local $$$ much needed and fannies in the seats. For your list.
Stewart was third on the team in tackles and first in tackles for a loss this year on a very poor team...
Newsome lead the team in overall yardage...
Boyle, anyone with a clue would have realized he needed a couple of redshirt years...
You keep mentioning McCombs does the bonehead thing make you forget he is from NY? ......

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Not saying we have to concintrate on CT players but it does generate local $$$ much needed and fannies in the seats. For your list.
Stewart was third on the team in tackles and first in tackles for a loss this year on a very poor team...
Newsome lead the team in overall yardage...
Boyle, anyone with a clue would have realized he needed a couple of redshirt years...
You keep mentioning McCombs does the bonehead thing make you forget he is from NY? .

I mentioned McCombs in comparison to Redd - and had very comparable stats with much less talent around him.
Tell me how much local $$ was generated and the amount of fannies the CT recruits put in the seats on Satruday v.s. SMU?
A couple of redshirt years? You know he can only get 1 right?
Newsome lead in overall yardage, I am assuming you are counting KO returns? Did he also lead the team in fumbles?

Reaction Score
I mentioned McCombs in comparison to Redd - and had very comparable stats with much less talent around him.
Tell me how much local $$ was generated and the amount of fannies the CT recruits put in the seats on Satruday v.s. SMU?
A couple of redshirt years? You know he can only get 1 right?
Newsome lead in overall yardage, I am assuming you are counting KO returns? Did he also lead the team in fumbles?

McCombs 5'7 170 labs runs a 4.6 forty
Red 5'10 201 labs and runs a 4.4 forty (currently on the Redskins)

I would have chosen Redd over McCombs to start in UConn's backfield any day.

Reaction Score
I didn't go through all those links so if this has been mentioned, sorry....Terry Wooden - Farmington - Went to Syracuse, played about 8-10 or so years in the NFL. Linebacker. Hell he was the first pick in the second round. Matt Kelly from New Canaan is another guy who was successful in college (LB at BC), there are plenty, but if people think that in-state recruiting is important in a state like CT, it just isn't.

If you're building a program, regardless of where it is it is, probably better to be liked by coaches in NJ, PA, FLA, TX than coaches in CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom