I could give a rats ass moving forward | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I could give a rats ass moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seems the only response to that is don't waste any time recruiting Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Fair enough - I was thinking of my post title moving forward.

Yes I am unfortunately - by the numbers mccombs had a much better career in college - I don't care about whether they make the show or not - and redd had much better talent around him in college.
If you watched them both play I can't see how you would think McCombs is better than Redd. There is a reason Redd played at Penn State and USC while McCombs was at UConn.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Dwight Freeney, Aaron Hernandez, Jordan Reed, David Reed, Bruce Campbell, Tyler Murphy, Chris Baker, Niko Koutouvides, John Jenkins, Donald Thomas, Terrance Knighton, John Sullivan, Amari Spievey, Rob Jackson, Khairi Fortt, Silas Redd, John Moffitt, Matt Shaughnessy, Damik Scafe, Nate Collins, Kory Sheets.

Add Tebucky Sr., he should be Top 3-4 on this murderer's row of a list.

Pun intended. :eek::)

Reaction Score
I'm just curious and I mean this seriously. Can someone name for me some CT HS players who have been successful in college with any team? I know we don't land all the "upper level" in-state talent but do those players actually succeed anywhere? Are we truly missing out on anything if we just ignore CT?

In answer to your question, there has been a few players that were either born in the state of Connecticut or went to school in Connecticut that went to BC, did well there, then went on to play at least a few years in the Pros :

Basketball :
John Bagley..... Hartford
Mike Adams.....Hartford
John Garris.......Bridgeport
Jay Murphy......Meriden

Football :
George Radachowsky.... Danbury
Ken Bell............. ........Greenwich
Tom Condon................Derby
Chet Gladchuk..... ...... Bridgeport
David Widell............... Hartford

There are no doubt others, but these are just a few of the top of my head, anyway. ( Tubucky Jones was from Connecticut, and Floyd Little was from New Haven )

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
In answer to your question, there has been a few players that were either born in the state of Connecticut or went to school in Connecticut that went to BC, did well there, then went on to play at least a few years in the Pros :

Basketball :
John Bagley..... Hartford
Mike Adams.....Hartford
John Garris..Bridgeport
Jay Murphy.Meriden

Football :
George Radachowsky.... Danbury
Ken Bell... ...Greenwich
Tom Condon......Derby
Chet Gladchuk..... . Bridgeport
David Widell..... Hartford

There are no doubt others, but these are just a few of the top of my head, anyway. ( Tubucky Jones was from Connecticut, and Floyd Little was from New Haven )
I was talking football.

Reaction Score
I was talking football.
I also added for you the list of players that were from Connecticut that were good enough to make the NFL. The list as you can see is not all that shabby in numbers. for a relatively small state and one not typically known for football talent ( which was your inital assessment ) That said, New England is not a hotbed of volume numbers of football talent.. no disagreement on this, naturally.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I don't know what happened to him after he left Greenwich but I remember hearing about a guy named Steve Young who was supposed to be pretty good.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Thought the same thing until I realized Steve Young wasn't "born" in CT. Premise for list.
So to make that list you had to both be born in and attend high school in CT?

Reaction Score
Silas Redd, Dwight Feeney..

Khairi Fortt, Kory Sheets, Sio Moore (New Haven), Tyler Matakevich (Temple), Bruce Campbell, Tony Brown, Dan Orlovsky, Andrew Pinnock, Donald Thomas, Scott Lutrus...

Reaction Score
Steve Young, Floyd Little, Andy Robustelli Hall of Famers, Freeney should be, Bill Romanowski outside looking in.

Reaction Score
or Tyler Murphy ( from Wethersfield, by way of Hartford, CT ).

Murphy this season became BC and the ACC's all time rushing leader QB.

BC's current starting Frosh RB is Marcus Outlaw.. from Norwich, Ct )

( And BC's current Head Coach came from Farmington, CT. )

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We're never going to recruit with the big boys in our current conference. That's a fact. We're in a recruiting dead zone without the P5 backing and play 2/3 of our home games in below 40 weather. I think our best bet is to find a system that is consistant (most of us would prefer a high scoring offense) and recruit specifically to that system. It's frustrating for sure seeing how our incoming QB had freakin' CCSU a team that lifts in a basement under the swimming pool on his list.

Reaction Score
Khairi Fortt, Kory Sheets, Sio Moore (New Haven), Tyler Matakevich (Temple), Bruce Campbell, Tony Brown, Dan Orlovsky, Andrew Pinnock, Donald Thomas, Scott Lutrus...

It's about time someone mentioned Lutrus... One of the best linebackers we've ever had. If it weren't for the injuries he'd have been an impact guy in the NFL

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Thought the same thing until I realized Steve Young wasn't "born" in CT. Premise for list.
So to make that list you had to both be born in and attend high school in CT?

I thought the OP was a question of recruiting "in state" recruits? I can understand if it's someone who preps in CT for 1 year but Steve Young is very proud of his early and High School years in Greenwich.

I'll admit that he was going to BYU even if Bear Bryant had been coaching UCONN at the time.

Reaction Score
Ha! Both McCombs and Redd had 3100 yds and 21 Tds from scrimmage in their college careers - redd in 4 years at penn st and USC and McCombs in3!

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/silas-redd-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/lyle-mccombs-1.html

Fortt was nothing in college and McCombs had a better college career.

You want to roll with these CT kids so be it - we can agree to disagree and continue to root for UConn FB

Talk to me about the current ones - not the past. I don't care about 5 years ago

Just imagine what Redd would have accomplished here at UConn, he would of shattered McCombs numbers. McCombss was not that great. Redd Played against better competition as well. Fortt was good enough to get drafted in the 4th round.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I thought the OP was a question of recruiting "in state" recruits? I can understand if it's someone who preps in CT for 1 year but Steve Young is very proud of his early and High School years in Greenwich.

I'll admit that he was going to BYU even if Bear Bryant had been coaching UCONN at the time.
Garry Cobb (who lasted about a dozen years in the NFL) couldn't have been more than three years old when his family moved to Stamford (he was a senior at Stamford High when I was a freshman and nearly destroyed me in a scrimmage). Steve Young was two years behind me at Greenwich High but I remember him reasonably well (even though I was in college his junior and senior seasons). He ran an option, seldom threw the ball and ran like a bull (a very fast bull). A ton of schools (mostly wishbone programs from the south) recruited him and many people though he was nuts going to Lavell Edwards' pass happy offense at BYU.

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with recruiting in state, but I do have a problem with UConn recruiting (18) 0 to 2 star players and like (3 to 4) 3 star players per year. Then we wonder why we've been on a decline since the fiesta bowl. Not everybody can have 2 star players play like 3 or 4 star players like Randy Edsall. We need to push strong for more 3 to 4 star players if we're going to create a winning football program. 2 star players are projects you help try to mold into star players, it doesn't always work.

Reaction Score
BC also has 4 current football Coaches on its staff that were born or raised in Connecticut :

Steve Addazio... Farmington, CT.... Head Coach
Kevin Lempa..... Hartford, CT .... 16 years at BC at various Coaching positions.
Frank Leonard....Farmington, CT... 2nd year at BC... TE Coach
Sean McGowan.... Chesire, CT.... 2nd year at BC.. DL, Special Teams

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On Recruiting in state

The best CT players, Gatorade players of the year would not sniff top 50 in NJ, PA and top 200 in Florida.

Conn. is never going to entirely stock a team.

That being said, there are 10-15 players from Conn. in the NFL, and some of them are damn good, like Terrence Knighton, some are still playing and were once stellar, like Dwight Freeney, some are pretty decent, like Matt Shaughnessy and Chris Baker, some were excellent in college and have hung on in the NFL, like Dan Orlovsky and Donald Thomas, some of them are in jail, like Aaron Hernandez.

Scoff at them, but the state produces a few really good players every year.

The best reason to recruit Conn. is that you stand a better chance of landing a top talent from the state than you would from Pennsylvania. The top PA kids aren't coming to UConn. Occasionally, you can convice a Dan Orlovsky to come to UConn instead of the B1G.

That's the reason right there.

Beyond that, consider that UConn has passed on kids like Matakevich, Harrison and Knighton, kids that did very well in college. We passed on Spievey too.

In other words, you have 4 NFL talents that UConn thought weren't worthy of an offer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin