I am still impressed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I am still impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't overlook San Diego State!
Hey at least there was this on the page.
2cfrpy7d_300x250.jpg

Reaction Score
My movie analogy is Breaking Away. UConn is Dave Stoller and Big Time College Sports is the Italian cycling team. Like Dave, UConn was way behind, caught up and showed them that he/they were just as good as any of them. But they were never, ever truly one of them in the eyes of the established powers. Hence the literal and figurative tire pump in the spokes.

I like that. But couldn't UConn be the young and unknown Dennis Quaid?

Reaction Score
I am an Outlier.

How could this get worse? This pompous arrogant parade of P5 Commissioners can lead to State AGs and others pushing back. And ... then there is a system that allows UConn to eke out a way to be in the top 75 (and possibly a Hurdle test for an 8 team Playoff that is achievable for maybe any good University that wants to put in the Capital Investment and Energy).

I have always thought that we (UCONN) had better market potential than BC, SU or Pitt. Just need a few breaks.

("Always Look on the Bright Side of Life ...")

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Nelson's idea of going to the big east for bball is the worst case scenario. Hey let's make that happen!!!!

Reaction Score
I don't think political/legal recourse is out of the question. These guys are pushing hard and there is lot's of money on the table. That usually dictates a strategy of asking for foregiveness rather than permission.

Reaction Score
I don't think political/legal recourse is out of the question. These guys are pushing hard and there is lot's of money on the table. That usually dictates a strategy of asking for foregiveness rather than permission.

Not sure if there is a viable cause of action here. Besides haven't we suffered enough because of the ill-conceived litigation that Blumenthal championed?
Remember it wasn't good enough for Blumenthal to sue institutions, he made it personal by suing several individuals. Judges don't like that - it introduces unnecessary personal vitriol into a matter that should be handled at an institutional level. All it succeeded in doing is create immense bitterness against Connecticut, the State and the University.

Reaction Score
Not sure if there is a viable cause of action here. Besides haven't we suffered enough because of the ill-conceived litigation that Blumenthal championed?
Remember it wasn't good enough for Blumenthal to sue institutions, he made it personal by suing several individuals. Judges don't like that - it introduces unnecessary personal vitriol into a matter that should be handled at an institutional level. All it succeeded in doing is create immense bitterness against Connecticut, the State and the University.

The implication here is that this could go well beyond mere civil suit. Not sure what some Judge in Conn. has to do with anything.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Nelson's idea of going to the big east for bball is the worst case scenario. Hey let's make that happen!!!!
That is not an option
The Big East has a model we don't fit.
That ship has long gone.
They will not get in a situation were they are competing against Public's.
The only option beside the AAC is the A 10 for BB and Maybe the MAC for football.if we chose to stay FSB.
If Temple and us go that's not a death sentence for BB.
football I'm afraid is a different issue.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
the next nail in the coffin will be cincy and either usf or ucf going to the b12. maybe it doesnt happen for a couple years, but i think it will eventually happen. wv on island could really languish and drive the issue. and i'm not saying FL does much for WV travel, but it does bring a cheap place to travel, good recruiting and tv potential.

the next five years will be interesting...hopefully we can be the boise st of the east.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That is not an option
The Big East has a model we don't fit.
That ship has long gone.
They will not get in a situation were they are competing against Public's.
The only option beside the AAC is the A 10 for BB and Maybe the MAC for football.if we chose to stay FSB.
If Temple and us go that's not a death sentence for BB.
football I'm afraid is a different issue.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

We are in a mid-major southern league. I think A10 for hoops and MAC for football is becoming our upside case. Or maybe take Temple, UMass, Buffalo and try to form some kind of pseudo yankee conference where we play a near-D1 level and sell our non-conference schedule for paycheck games.

Reaction Score
I can see it now...the day after we get a B1G or ACC invite the entire collegiate athletic setup collapses under its own weight of impropriety and greed.

No, that's the day the world ends.

Reaction Score
the next nail in the coffin will be cincy and either usf or ucf going to the b12. maybe it doesnt happen for a couple years, but i think it will eventually happen. wv on island could really languish and drive the issue. and i'm not saying FL does much for WV travel, but it does bring a cheap place to travel, good recruiting and tv potential.

the next five years will be interesting...hopefully we can be the boise st of the east.
The Big 12 doesn't really care about WVU. They won't add a school just to make travel on them easier because it makes travel more difficult for the other 9 teams, specifically Texas. This summer Oliver Luck went to the Big 12 admins and asked if they could give his teams preferable scheduling so they didn't have to fly halfway across the country in consecutive weks and they literally laughed him out of the office.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The Big 12 doesn't really care about WVU. They won't add a school just to make travel on them easier because it makes travel more difficult for the other 9 teams, specifically Texas. This summer Oliver Luck went to the Big 12 admins and asked if they could give his teams preferable scheduling so they didn't have to fly halfway across the country in consecutive weks and they literally laughed him out of the office.

We'll see....I'm thinking several years from now, not tomorrow.

Reaction Score
It's crazy how bad it's worked out, that's for sure. But in any case, who cares? The AAC will, in time, develop rivalries that we'll care about and that will be fun to watch. We can still compete for national championships in basketball, especially with a coach who I believe will recruit as well as UConn ever has. And let's be honest, basketball is our sport.

It's too bad that we'll never know how far UConn football could've gone, but that's how it played out. We still get to tailgate on freezing cold Connecticut mornings and evenings. The beer and food will still taste as good. We'll still win games. The Rent will continue to develop piece by piece into a stadium that's great to watch a game in.

I see it as a consolation that UConn didn't really do anything wrong in any of this. We got screwed. They didn't want us to play with them anymore. So be it.

And maybe I'm the only one, but for at least a couple of years it'll be fun to see new blood in conference play. I'm excited to play ECU and UCF and Houston, it's something different.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
It's crazy how bad it's worked out, that's for sure. But in any case, who cares? The AAC will, in time, develop rivalries that we'll care about and that will be fun to watch. We can still compete for national championships in basketball, especially with a coach who I believe will recruit as well as UConn ever has. And let's be honest, basketball is our sport.

It's too bad that we'll never know how far UConn football could've gone, but that's how it played out. We still get to tailgate on freezing cold Connecticut mornings and evenings. The beer and food will still taste as good. We'll still win games. The Rent will continue to develop piece by piece into a stadium that's great to watch a game in.

I see it as a consolation that UConn didn't really do anything wrong in any of this. We got screwed. They didn't want us to play with them anymore. So be it.

And maybe I'm the only one, but for at least a couple of years it'll be fun to see new blood in conference play. I'm excited to play ECU and UCF and Houston, it's something different.
I definitely agree. It's not like we were going to compete for national championships in ANY league in any of our lifetimes. As long as we keep turning wining seasons, winning AAC championships, especially getting to Sweet Sixteens and Final Fours in basketball, we'll keep putting asses in seats. Create a demand and we become a wanted commodity... that leads to expanding the stadium and looking like a real football team.

Reaction Score
Conference realignment is not even done yet. I could imagine people see potential in our football program.

Reaction Score
You can expect a run of bad news every now and again, but seriously, this has been impressive.

Every single development in conference realignment has been unfailingly negative for us - so many things had to fall just right for us to get where we are and they all did.

Expansion that happened was bad for us and expansion that didn't happen was bad for us.

And now the 'power 5' are thinking of closing the doors? Of course - we wouldn't expect it any other way.

Ain't that the truth. Still would like to see some political retribution. I would seriously be waiting for some important vote in the Senate or House where they are looking for Connecticut's support, then we should be pull out the list of conditions.

Reaction Score
I definitely agree. It's not like we were going to compete for national championships in ANY league in any of our lifetimes. As long as we keep turning wining seasons, winning AAC championships, especially getting to Sweet Sixteens and Final Fours in basketball, we'll keep putting asses in seats. Create a demand and we become a wanted commodity... that leads to expanding the stadium and looking like a real football team.

And, how does this happen when the level of recruits that any program needs to get there is overlooking UConn because it's not competing for NCs, winning (when they do) an AAC championship, and perhaps going to some crappy bowl. If winning put asses in seats, and created demand and making programs a wanted commodity, the Boise State would be in a major conference, so would UConn. And . . . . Vanderbilt, Indiana, Duke, Iowa State and other football programs would have left their conferences . . . or been thrown out.

The formula is . . . The best conferences + big time facilities + top notch recruiting + good TV exposure = Asses in seats +demand + a wanted commodity. Doesn't work in reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom