I am still impressed | The Boneyard

I am still impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You can expect a run of bad news every now and again, but seriously, this has been impressive.

Every single development in conference realignment has been unfailingly negative for us - so many things had to fall just right for us to get where we are and they all did.

Expansion that happened was bad for us and expansion that didn't happen was bad for us.

And now the 'power 5' are thinking of closing the doors? Of course - we wouldn't expect it any other way.

Reaction Score
The only thing to be said, Fishy, is that no one -- no one -- could have predicted that it would play out the way it has to date. So maybe it isn't rational to be this concerned that it looks like the next round of events will screw us. It's not like the round of events that are supposed to screw us could screw us any more than the round of events that should have led us into the ACC did.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I continually ask myself "could this have possibly played out any worse for UConn?" and the answer is basically "absolutely not". I guess in a few months the B12 could announce that they are taking Cincinnait and BYU to get to 12 and then the 'Super-5' are officialy separating. But short of that scenario, I don't think this could have played out any worse for us.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The only thing to be said, Fishy, is that no one -- no one -- could have predicted that it would play out the way it has to date.

My movie analogy is Breaking Away. UConn is Dave Stoller and Big Time College Sports is the Italian cycling team. Like Dave, UConn was way behind, caught up and showed them that he/they were just as good as any of them. But they were never, ever truly one of them in the eyes of the established powers. Hence the literal and figurative tire pump in the spokes.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If there is any consolation, I am pretty sure that there really is very little left that they can do to us.

The only slim joy that I will eventually get out of all this is that fans of some of the luckier teams who did get off the raft will eventually realize that while their school is cashing bigger checks, they are still unloved and largely irrelevant. I expect to see those fans with a Stepford Wife smile plastered to their face as they sit in Greensboro wondering if the guy at the concession stand with the Confederate tattoo spit in their beer or as they watch Ohio State score its seventh touchdown of the day.

Happiness through bitterness. I can make it work.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Maybe someone shouldn't have deleted my "shut the football program down" thread.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Am I delussional to still believe that despite how horrible things are right now, that in 10 years we will be in a Super-5 conference and everything will be right again in the world?!:cool:

Reaction Score
It is beyond unbelievable. Everytime you want to rally around uconn; s situation and this conference there is another kick in the sack. This liberty bowl thing has bugged the shut out of me. The p5 are talking about seperating from schools that haven't invested. Uconn and the state have invested. Wtf else could happen at this point.

Reaction Score
You can expect a run of bad news every now and again, but seriously, this has been impressive.

Every single development in conference realignment has been unfailingly negative for us - so many things had to fall just right for us to get where we are and they all did.

Expansion that happened was bad for us and expansion that didn't happen was bad for us.

And now the 'power 5' are thinking of closing the doors? Of course - we wouldn't expect it any other way.
the Monty Python song, "always look on the bright side of life" comes to mind.

Reaction Score
It is beyond unbelievable. Everytime you want to rally around uconn; s situation and this conference there is another kick in the sack. This liberty bowl thing has bugged the shut out of me. The p5 are talking about seperating from schools that haven't invested. Uconn and the state have invested. Wtf else could happen at this point.
An earthquake measuring 7.6 could have it's nexus under the RENT & send the structure literally into the abyss.
What kind of Bizarro world has UConn athletics been transported to where there's little hope in sight?
It's surreal.

Reaction Score
And now the 'power 5' are thinking of closing the doors?

The answer is no they are not.

They are talking about a stipend for their athletes that would cover the "full cost of attendance", what makes you think The American wouldn't pay their players the stipend to continue to compete at the highest level? If the stipend were to cost $1 million per year for each school do you think the American would just fold? I don't. (maybe we get lucky and Tulane drops out)

Now if it means that athletes from the non revenue producing sports also have to get the stipend those sports would potentially be on the chopping block.

If CUSA, the Sun Belt or the MAC decided to drop out then The American would actually be strengthened by this. If the Big East decides not to pay their players the stipend it makes Ollie's job easier, but that won't happen, the Big East will pay the stipend.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I believe our worst case scenario is football in the Mac and everything else in the A10. And it may be plausible in a few years.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'm pretty numb to anything that happens with the AAC, don't really care. In the end, if it's our permanent home 6-10 years from now there will be much more pain on the way. We just have to dominate this craptactular conference, work toward the AAU and wait for the next round. And buy tickets and fill the Rent, Gampel and HCC.

Reaction Score
Don't be so sure of bottoming out.
As my late mother use to say "when I was young we were so poor we barely eked out an existance, Then the great depression came and things got worse".

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I've given up on college athletics like the rest of the Northeast, which is basically why we are in this crappy predicament. Seems like the only option.

Go Sox, Celts, B's and oddly J-E-T-S!!

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I'm pretty numb to anything that happens with the AAC, don't really care. In the end, if it's our permanent home 6-10 years from now there will be much more pain on the way. We just have to dominate this craptactular conference, work toward the AAU and wait for the next round. And buy tickets and fill the Rent, Gampel and HCC.

Lets recap, your numb,you don't care about the conference, & teams we are playing are Crap. Bare in mind, I view you as an Uber fan just by your association with the Yard. How is the average fan going to buy more tickets if they too are numb, don't care, and feel the opponent is viewed as crap?

Reaction Score
Worse? Rutgers in two years hires Ollie to be coach after offering him more than Uconn can afford. Of course, PP is still the football coach because, well, no one cares enough to make a change. Geno retires and there is never more than 10k people at any uconn home sporting event ever again, including the big thanksgiving Day rivalry game versus ECU.

how's that?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Worse? Rutgers in two years hires Ollie to be coach after offering him more than Uconn can afford. Of course, PP is still the football coach because, well, no one cares enough to make a change. Geno retires and there is never more than 10k people at any uconn home sporting event ever again, including the big thanksgiving Day rivalry game versus ECU.

how's that?
Change Rutgers to BC and that might take the cake.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
My movie analogy is Breaking Away. UConn is Dave Stoller and Big Time College Sports is the Italian cycling team. Like Dave, UConn was way behind, caught up and showed them that he/they were just as good as any of them. But they were never, ever truly one of them in the eyes of the established powers. Hence the literal and figurative tire pump in the spokes.

Cyril's Dad is a UConn fan.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
the Monty Python song, "always look on the bright side of life" comes to mind.

You mean the part where they say "Life's a piece of , when you look at it"?

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Yup things sure seem out of wack. If you're the kind of person who thinks there is some kind of cosmic balance, what would would be the POSITIVE event that would knock planet UConn back into its proper orbit? BiG invite? ACC invite? Big 12 Invite? Hiring a great HC? On-campus stadium? Any combination of the afforementioned? Anything I didn't think of?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Yup things sure seem out of wack. If you're the kind of person who thinks there is some kind of cosmic balance, what would would be the POSITIVE event that would knock planet UConn back into its proper orbit? BiG invite? ACC invite? Big 12 Invite? Hiring a great HC? On-campus stadium? Any combination of the afforementioned? Anything I didn't think of?
Winning

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Lets recap, your numb,you don't care about the conference, & teams we are playing are Crap. Bare in mind, I view you as an Uber fan just by your association with the Yard. How is the average fan going to buy more tickets if they too are numb, don't care, and feel the opponent is viewed as crap?
I care about uconn and pay to see them play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom