I am starting to think that the UConn Athletic Department is just cursed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I am starting to think that the UConn Athletic Department is just cursed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There's no doubt JH bears some responsibility, and I agree with you and your "taking to task" the people who have solely condemned JC. Leaving those two positions open for an extended period of time is and was inexcusable and certainly plays a part in the myriad of problems currently surrounding the program. And I also agree that it's clear there was animosity between Hathaway and Calhoun and JH's handling of the Nate Miles situation was, at best, in poor taste.

But ultimately, no one will ever know if Hathaway was intentionally reporting the correct men's ball APR numbers to the NCAA in an effort to slight Calhoun and the program as you suggested as a possibility. Even given the evidence, I don't think there's enough to make that implication. I just fail to see how, as the AD, it would benefit him to create a stranglehold on the program and limit it's chances for success. Now, if he was "fudging" the numbers for the other programs then it's another story, but again ... something we probably won't ever know. Additionally, I think you and I would both agree that being honest about what is reported to the NCAA in terms of APR as well as limiting the "Football 101" courses they provide for players is ultimately the better, albeit more difficult, route to take in this whole mess.

I should make it clear, I'm not at issue with you on this topic. I just utilized your post to make a couple of points. I agree with you we'll never learn the truth. There are too many more important issues for the university to contend with. And if they discovered anything relating to my hypothesis, it is in the universities interest not to make it public.

As far as what motivation JH would have to strangle hold the program, if in fact he did this, is anyones guess. Anger, contempt, envy, jealousy and hatred cause some people to do irrational things. I'm sure you've experienced plenty of situations where people shoot themselves in the foot to exact revenge on someone else.

The major point is that there are multiple possibilities that can explain an event. Not being able to explore them or learn if these possibilities have merit should not cause us to eliminate them from our list. I guess this is the scientist in me making this case. My observation regarding topics that are discussed in these forums is that ultimately people list many ideas even if certain individuals argue only one possibility is correct. Since there is a significant implication about JC's character if his program is the only one at UConn with a problem, I feel it is necessary to consider everything regarding this matter. I don't believe trying to find out the truth is the same thing as excusing JC.

Reaction Score
Fleudslipcon said: Just some added thoughts why I made the suggestion regarding JH and why I haven't ruled him out as a problem is this matter. JH made statements to the NCAA regarding the Nate Miles issue, which, for anyone bothering to analyze the way sentences are constructed to create impact, were phrased in a manner that would be condemning to JC. He was very deliberate in his phraseology. In and of itself it is not conclusive, but it is a red flag that increases my interest in seeing other things he has said about JC.

Oh most definitely! JH indicted JC in Indianapolis. If you read the transcript, Hathaway seems to be much more of an antagonist towards JC, than a program supporter. Herbst is no dummy. She saw right through the sham, but JC will pay for this with his 3 game suspension.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'd stop short of this as well. Would JH really want to create an issue with UConn nationally? His AD is under the gun/microscope here too. I highly doubt he'd want to give himself innumerable headaches simply to spite Jim Calhoun.

Although, there is now retroactive precedent with Deflipper at BC, so....

kidding.
You may be kidding, but DeFillipo wasn't. The only thing different with DeFillipo vs. many other powerful people regarding the actions they take against other individuals is that DeFillipo publicly bragged about what was behind his decision to stone wall UConn. Most powerful people do not reveal that pettiness was the primary or exclusive motivation for their decisions. They don't want to be ridiculed by society. So they either stay quiet, or they express different plausible explanations, that when stated, divert attention from the real explanation.

The only fault with my op is that I'm proposing something that can't be substantiated and most people would consider quite a stretch. In that, I agree with you and tykurez. Did I waste anyone's time? Certainly if a person only wants to deal with certainties. Did I attack JH's character by bringing up this unsubstantiated possibility? Perhaps, but that would be the responsibility of a the reader, because I'm not arguing JH is guilty. I'm arguing the things that happened which make his involvement possible, not definite.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The APR "problem" at UConn is confined to one sport. Would this situation have been any different if the AD was different? I don't think so.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Just curious, at ANY point, does anyone even HINT that MAYBE the coaching staff shares a LITTLE responsibility for the APR mess? Ever? Or are we just going to pretend it was completely out of their hands because of the "IN JC WE TRUST!!!!1111one" bullcrap.

Absolutely, ZLS, there's a lot of blame to go around. It's embarrassing and disappointing. I think everyone would agree with that.

But I think everyone, like me, is more ticked off by the fact that the NCAA is once again making an example of UConn. You want to ban people for not having their APR high enough -- pass the rule, wait to see who complies with it, and then hand out punishments. You can't take old data and immediately enforce it going forward. That is so ducked up. I am really angry. And yes, I am angry at the basketball program and athletics department. They put themselves in this situation. Numerous kids left and nobody bothered to check whether they were going to class. But we've already paid for that with scholarships. This is over the top and wrong.

Reaction Score
Absolutely, ZLS, there's a lot of blame to go around. It's embarrassing and disappointing. I think everyone would agree with that.

But I think everyone, like me, is more ticked off by the fact that the NCAA is once again making an example of UConn. You want to ban people for not having their APR high enough -- pass the rule, wait to see who complies with it, and then hand out punishments. You can't take old data and immediately enforce it going forward. That is so ducked up. I am really angry. And yes, I am angry at the basketball program and athletics department. They put themselves in this situation. Numerous kids left and nobody bothered to check whether they were going to class. But we've already paid for that with scholarships. This is over the top and wrong.
I agree. It makes no sense to pass this rule and then use data from before the new rule was enacted. It would be like passing a law that if you got a speeding ticket in the last 2 years you would lose your license for a year. Something tells me they reconsider this and start with the 2014 NCAA Tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom