I am so proud of this team! | The Boneyard

I am so proud of this team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a great day to be a Husky!

So proud of the team and so happy that they have won NC #8. Every NC is “the most special” – the one in 1995 because it was the first, several of the ones from undefeated seasons, etc.

This one – I’m so happy that the seniors get to go out on the highest note possible.

Caroline - for being the warrior she is pushing through 3 ACL injuries and still coming back, her body a shell of its’ former self, and giving everything she had every single day. Whether she was playing only a few minutes and cheering her team on from the bench, or teaching the youngsters what it means to be a true UCONN player.

Kelly – she’s one of my all time favorite Huskies, and will probably never end up on the wall of fame, even tho she probably has the greatest intangibles of any player to suit up for our great program. She almost never did anything flashy, but was probably more instrumental in the successes of the team the past 4 seasons than any other player.

Heather – she probably never reached the potential a 6’4” player can who has the basketball body she does, but she was there every day battling other post players to help make them better and was a great teammate and well liked and respected by everyone.

This season was also special because it was unexpected. Sure the expectations were sky high at the start of the year – most of us felt it was Baylor, UCONN, and then everyone else. I guess ND never got the memo as they had our number and pulled out wins 3 times during the regular season and BET.

But the team we saw in the national semifinal game was the UCONN team we expected to see all season and the glimpses of promise and chemistry finally all came together in probably the most satisfying semifinal game I’ve ever experienced.

The team over came a seemingly never ending string of injuries and sicknesses. Of the entire team, only Kelly started in, and played in, all 39 games of the season. I don’t believe Moriah missed any games either getting some time in all 39 games, but every other player on the team missed at least 1 game due to injuries or sickness. Not going to go over each one, but the 2 biggest were the loss of Banks during game #21 to a season ending ACL, and Dolson’s diagnosis of PF along with the stress fracture in a non weight-bearing bone in her leg.

Lastly, UCONN’s place in the record books. Tennessee used to be the gold standard for women’s NCAA basketball success. No longer. Geno and UCONN have now tied the “evil empire” with a ridiculous 8 NC’s, and we’re not done yet. Geno is the fastest coach in history to reach every record he’s reached or broken. And if he stays 5 more years, at 35 wins per season, will eclipse 1,000 wins for his career. UCONN is not only the gold standard now for what all other teams are compared to, but since 1995, no other team comes close to the success UCONN has enjoyed.

8 NC’s, 12 final 4’s (including a record breaking current streak of 6 in a row), and a ridiculous record of 8-0 in national championship games. And the program just keeps reloading. In the past 8 years recruiting, UCONN has landed the #1/2 player in the land a ridiculous 6 times (Tina, Maya, Elena, Kaleena, Breanna/Moriah). We’ve also landed numerous players ranked in the top 10 as well. And every single kid is a great person and fantastic representative as a student/athlete of the university.

Just couldn’t be more proud to be a UCONN fan!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Amen, Eric, and I 2nd the shout-out for Kelly. She could easily have been selected as player of the game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Amen, Eric, and I 2nd the shout-out for Kelly. She could easily have been selected as player of the game.
Kelly was unreal and deserves every great thing that comes her way.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So happy Kelly was named to the all tourney team! Bria, KML, Kelly and Stewie as MOP. Well deserved all!
All so deserving. Couldn't be happier for Kelly!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree. I have to say that Heather creating her own basket by getting a steal, taking down court and laying it in in the national championship game was pretty sweet as well. Congrats to all seniors on their college careers. We'll miss them.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I with you Eric...what a great year. This team really pulled it together, losing the regular season and the Big East tournament to Notre Dame was a tough pill especially since each of the three games we lost we had more than a chance to win...11 points in three games with a triple overtime game thrown in for good measure. Brianna Banks going down with a torn ACL was devastating. Bria Hartley never hitting her All American stride from a year ago after battling with the physical and emotional scars from a summertime injury. Breanna Stewart losing confidence mid season only to find her groove in the post season and winning the MVP of the Regional finals; and the MVP in the Final Four while breaking freshman scoring records along the way. Our steady KML and Kelly Faris...just steady and faithful the whole way. Is there a better shooter in America than KML? I don't think so...what was it 119 three pointers this season...are you kidding me? Stefanie wowed us this season as she became consistent jump shooter from the foul line extended as well as a low post presence that at times was unstoppable. Probably the best passing center in the game to boot. The late emergence of Moriah and Tuck only bodes well for 2013-2014 season...

Next year we will see why Moriah was ranked so high coming out of high school. Did you know that Moriah was the highest ranked point guard by hoopgurlz in their history? The "X" factor just might be Kiah Stokes...can you imagine if she plays to her physical attributes...she could be a defensive stopper in the middle as well as a rebounding machine. And, we all wonder how much Saniya Chong will contribute to the Huskies next season.

Already touched upon by Eric was the heart of Doty...she brought it everyday. I am so glad she was able to go out with another championship... Who will forget Heather Buck in her last game exploiting the passing lane and getting a steal and driving the length of the court for the lay-in? Unbelievable! What a way for Heather to finish her career.

Great accomplishment for Geno and the staff...getting number 8, tying the legendary Pat Summit's record and positioning himself to possibly surpass it in the next couple of years. The irony Geno and our Huskies could be facing Tennessee next year in the final four with both teams hoping to make in number 9.

Well, enough for next year...Congratulations to this year's version of the Huskies...I am so proud of each and every one of them. I am proud of our UConn fans...they were great all year. Like Eric said what a great time to be a UConn fan. Oh yeah...shout out...Maya in the house tonight!

Reaction Score
Congrats to one and all!
Great for all the kids on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members