I am afraid to ask about the announcer's statement | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I am afraid to ask about the announcer's statement

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Just be glad Bill Walton doesn't do womens games.
Coming At You Nba All Star GIF by NBA
That wouldn't last long... He'd get himself cancelled.

Reaction Score
I heard something about Ines tweaking or twisting her ankle, which is why she did not play. Any word on that and how serious. We need her back so she can learn and up her game, give Nika 5 minutes of rest and be ready if Nika gets fouls. I was very nervous when she got 2 fouls in 5 seconds on the inbound attempts. Would help if we could give Lou a little rest for her ankle, likely not happening until Azzi gets back. Does Edwards still need the face mask, or has she just grown used to it and likes the protection?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just be glad Bill Walton doesn't do womens games.
Coming At You Nba All Star GIF by NBA
At least Walton knows who Geno is. Or did. He might have fried his mind after these quotes.

More Walton quotes on the UConn women at the link below

That attitude reminds Walton of his former coach. He is among those rooting for UConn to keep winning, even if it means the Huskies end up breaking UCLA’s record. The Bruins star was immediately impressed with Auriemma when they first met at Michael Jordan’s fantasy basketball camp a few years back.

“I know firsthand what a class act he is and you don’t have the success that this team’s experiencing without a brilliant coach,” Walton said in a telephone interview. “I had the great privilege to be on a special team and my congratulations go out to UConn. I’m a big fan.

Reaction Score
During the first half, I thought the announcing was fairly well done. But in the second half, they went on a "chit-chat" binge, not paying attention to the game, so I had to turn off the sound for the rest of the game.

Reaction Score
It was at the beginning of the game where they showed a list of all the UConn players who had missed games this year and just after the list went away it was said that the first 3 on the list were out for the season. I paused the game to see who the 3rd person was! Yep it was Azzi. I'e been reassurred a lot that the comment was false.

Reaction Score
I hate to ask this but what is the Fudd timeline again? Where does 3-6weeks put us? We have to be close to the 3 week mark right?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I thought about that too and at first was like "what"???

Then I realized the announcer who said it was Carolyn Peck, and I considered the source. 'Nuff said!

All joking aside, this is one of the times I listened to her and did not have an aneurysm rolling my eyes every time she spoke. She actually seemed knowledgeable of the players, had some good insight, and called the game.
For games that are not televised on SNY, I sync to Bob Joyce's radio broadcast of the game to the TV, and turn the sound down on the TV.
I have become a real fan of Bob Joyce's pre and post game shows. You get much more information from his broadcasts than SNY which is all KARA all the time. :confused: No interviews, no scores. Fox, and ABC do not have pre/post game programs for UConn WBB telecasts. Bob's pregame show always features a quick interview with Geno and the opposing coach of that game. He tees the games up for us nicely. I can't take Carolyn Peck anymore. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Add that lady named Mary who does Pac 12 games. She is right there with those two.
LOL! Mary Murphy.

She is a Pac-12 homer, but she works for the network. I actually think she is very good with knowing the game and breaking down what's happening. I absolutely love, on a random Thursday in January at 10:30pm, to watch a Pac-12 game and have her and Ann Schatz on the call. i don't have a dog in the race, but it sure is fun to watch a game with no rooting interest and listen to those two call it. They're such blatant homers and so entertaining.

Reaction Score
I hate to ask this but what is the Fudd timeline again? Where does 3-6weeks put us? We have to be close to the 3 week mark right?
Three weeks from the injury would be next Sunday. I doubt she'll play at the exact three week mark but we are close. Hopefully the knee is feeling better.

Reaction Score
Does Edwards still need the face mask, or has she just grown used to it and likes the protection?
Based on something CD said in the post-game press, she doesn’t “need’ it anymore.

It doesn’t seem to bother her. For her own reasons, she’s sticking with it. Given how she’s playing, I’m all for her keeping it on.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This Sunday, December 25th, will be three weeks from the date of the injury. Six weeks will, obviously, be three weeks later and fall on January 15th.

Let the debate start on when Azzi actually returns to the starting lineup...

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
She is the worst.
I have never liked listening to Carolyn Peck even when she was the coach at Purdue. She was going to leave Purdue after the 98 season to go coach the Orlando Miracle, but the players got PO'd when she told them she was leaving, they felt angry and betrayed. She cut a deal with Orlando and Purdue so she could stay as head coach for another year. She wasn't a great coach she just had the right staff and a great team. I believe that her only winning record as a coach is the Purdue team that was handed to her on a silver platter by Nell Fortner when she left to coach the 2000 Olympic team.

Reaction Score
I have never liked listening to Carolyn Peck even when she was the coach at Purdue. She was going to leave Purdue after the 98 season to go coach the Orlando Miracle, but the players got PO'd when she told them she was leaving, they felt angry and betrayed. She cut a deal with Orlando and Purdue so she could stay as head coach for another year. She wasn't a great coach she just had the right staff and a great team. I believe that her only winning record as a coach is the Purdue team that was handed to her on a silver platter by Nell Fortner when she left to coach the 2000 Olympic team.
I also think she has an anti UCONN pro Power 5 Conference bias. Imagine saying that Nika's time on the court was dependent on her hitting 3s? Last time I checked Nika was leading the country in assists. So as a coach you don't care about that or her defense only 3s? Next year she will be the best PG in America but she better make her 3s or here comes the hook!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Based on something CD said in the post-game press, she doesn’t “need’ it anymore.

It doesn’t seem to bother her. For her own reasons, she’s sticking with it. Given how she’s playing, I’m all for her keeping it on.

Liya as the Masked Marvel!

1671497138056.png

Reaction Score
When he said it, I screamed, "No, No"! When will announcers learn to shut up at such moments. Baseball players never talk to the pitcher if he is working on a perfect game for a reason!

There was a time when the Yankees had an announcer that ALWAYS talked about possible no hitters. He used to say that he had to inform the public when that could've been done by putting the runs/hits/errors graphic on the screen.

The Yankees didn't have any no-hitters during his tenure. :mad:

Reaction Score
There was a time when the Yankees had an announcer that ALWAYS talked about possible no hitters. He used to say that he had to inform the public when that could've been done by putting the runs/hits/errors graphic on the screen.

The Yankees didn't have any no-hitters during his tenure. :mad:
Correlation does not imply causality.

Reaction Score
That wouldn't last long... He'd get himself cancelled.

Walton did a UConn women's game several years ago. He did nothing but praise Geno and the team so ESPN never let him do another one. :rolleyes:

His stream of consciousness should drive me crazy but I always thought he was the best college player ever and his patter is so "out in left field" that I love him. Celtic loyalty I guess. "Twice on the pipes" was old 20 years ago.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Walton did a UConn women's game several years ago. He did nothing but praise Geno and the team so ESPN never let him do another one. :rolleyes:

His stream of consciousness should drive me crazy but I always thought he was the best college player ever and his patter is so "out in left field" that I love him. Celtic loyalty I guess. "Twice on the pipes" was old 20 years ago.
I love the guy, but then again I saw the dead at Dillon in the 70s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom