I-95???? | The Boneyard

I-95????

WaterDawg

Lurker Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Took me 3 hours to get to South Norwalk from Fairfield yesterday.

Reaction Score
I live in Northern Norwalk a mile from the Route 7 connector so we have a takeover of rogue 18-wheelers "trying to figure it out".

For example, my house is a mile from a Merritt Parkway bridge, so a truck was stuck just prior to the underpass. Took cops close to three hours to redirect the guy and have him reverse out the two miles distance from the underpass to New Canaan Ave. Free entertainment.

Reaction Score
yea, it's going to be shut down at least til Monday while they take down the bridge. Lots of overflow traffic on the Merritt and back roads.

Reaction Score
I live in Northern Norwalk a mile from the Route 7 connector so we have a takeover of rogue 18-wheelers "trying to figure it out".

For example, my house is a mile from a Merritt Parkway bridge, so a truck was stuck just prior to the underpass. Took cops close to three hours to redirect the guy and have him reverse out the two miles distance from the underpass to New Canaan Ave. Free entertainment.
From what I heard, someone got stuck or hit the underside of the Metro North bridge in New Canaan on 106 as well. Not a great area to be an oversized vehicle and not be allowed on I95.

Reaction Score

I'm basically your neighbor and drive up and down the Merritt daily. Big Rigs on the Merritt happens more frequently than anyone could possibly imagine.... it's an absolute debacle ... they stop approaching the first bridge and then, with police assistance and a lane closure, have to backup the truck to the prior exit....nightmare.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
We have 95 in Boston, which used to be called Rt. 128, but now us old-timers are supposed to call it 95. I think they call it 95 because 95% of the time there's some kind of slowdown, stoppage, truck disaster, overturned manure spreader, or law enforcement intervention that causes everyone everywhere to be late.

Condolences to those inconvenienced in southern CT.

Fletch:
I would have been here sooner, but a manure-spreader jacknifed on the Santa Ana. You should see my shoes.

Reaction Score
Glad I'm a West Coast Huskies fan....
Yeah, you guys never have highway issues.

1714758437743.jpeg

Reaction Score
And the Merritt is currently shut down in Fairfield due to a crash/car fire. At least this one should be cleaned up quicker.
Thank god there's a beautiful 40-45 minute backroad from my school to Norwalk that crosses open roads through Bedford, Scotts Corner and New Canaan.

Without traffic, my work commute is ~20 minutes but whenever the Merritt is 40+ minutes, I just take this backroad.

Reaction Score
Governor Lamont Provides Update on Repair Efforts to Interstate 95 in Norwalk

Posted on May 3, 2024

(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Ned Lamont and Connecticut Transportation Commissioner Garrett Eucalitto today provided an update regarding the ongoing demolition of the Fairfield Avenue Bridge over Interstate 95 in Norwalk, which is necessary due to the major motor vehicle collision that occurred in the early morning hours of Thursday, May 2.

Work to remove the damaged structure began at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, May 3, and crews will continue working on this around the clock through the weekend. Once the bridge is removed, sections of I-95 will be milled and paved in both directions in the area.

All lanes of I-95 northbound and southbound in Norwalk will remain closed until further notice. I-95 northbound is closed to all traffic at exit 14 and I-95 southbound is closed to all traffic at exit 15. Travelers are urged to avoid the area and use public transportation services. Commercial vehicles should use I-84 as an alternate route through Connecticut.

The goal is to have the highway reopened by the morning rush hour commute on Monday, May 6.

“I am strongly urging all drivers – whether you’re in a passenger vehicle or a commercial vehicle – to completely avoid I-95 this weekend,” Governor Lamont said. “Additional traffic is only going to make things harder for everyone. Please use public transportation if you need to move through the area. Heroic local and state first responders got the crash cleared and the fire under control yesterday, and now the amazing team with the Connecticut Department of Transportation, as well as our contractor teams, are going to be working all weekend under immense pressure to get the highway reopened. I appreciate their hard work and dedication to the people of Connecticut.”

“We are going to be working 24/7 throughout the weekend,” Commissioner Eucalitto said. “Thank you to the Connecticut Department of Transportation and contractor staff who are going to be working around the clock to get I-95 reopened by Monday morning. We appreciate the partnership with state and local police who are helping direct traffic and keep motorists safe. Special thanks to Federal Highway Administration and FHWA Administrator Shailen Bhatt for the continuous support.”

At the request of Governor Lamont and Commissioner Eucalitto, Metro-North Railroad has agreed to provide additional weekend service and increased capacity on trains along the New Haven Line. Full schedules and details can be found at new.mta.info. (To read the press release from Metro-North, click here.)

Following the emergency declaration signed by Governor Lamont on Thursday, May 2, the State of Connecticut today submitted a letter of intent to the Federal Highway Administration to pursue emergency relief funds. As part of the request, the Connecticut Department of Transportation is requesting an expedited release of $3 million to assist with the initial response.

Drivers are asked to remain patient and follow all posted signage. The public can visit CTroads.org for the latest update through the weekend and view the live traffic cameras in the area.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Metro North trains are now being loaded with various pallets of goods. Passengers are being bumped. Unreal.

As of yesterday morning, that bridge over 95 was deemed unfazed. Now it needs replacement.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Interestingly, my Guilford to East Haven commute today saw much less vehicles traveling west. And...no big rigs.

Reaction Score
Thank god there's a beautiful 40-45 minute backroad from my school to Norwalk that crosses open roads through Bedford, Scotts Corner and New Canaan.

Without traffic, my work commute is ~20 minutes but whenever the Merritt is 40+ minutes, I just take this backroad.
Sister lives in Trumbull and is a teacher in New Canaan. Took her over two hours this morning (pre-rush hour).

Reaction Score
From what I heard, someone got stuck or hit the underside of the Metro North bridge in New Canaan on 106 as well. Not a great area to be an oversized vehicle and not be allowed on I95.
That’s why all the highway signs are telling people to use 87-90, or 684-84. Maybe the drivers need to learn to read English.

Reaction Score
It took me 2 hours today to go Stratford to Greenwich. Hearing about this accident on the Merritt in Fairfield has me dreading this evening. Yesterday I didn’t bother going in. My friend said it was the worst traffic he had since since 9/11 and while that may be hyperbolic, it was enough for me to spend the day doing yard work.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, my Guilford to East Haven commute today saw much less vehicles traveling west. And...no big rigs.
No surprise fewer vehicles travelled on 95 W today. Higher WFH for the day, government leaders and media in both CT and neighboring states discouraging travel on 95, etc. Betcha 84 W picked up a good % of detouring cars and all trucks which typically use 95 W transiting CT from the NE and E.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom