I’ve defended Hurley thus far | The Boneyard

I’ve defended Hurley thus far

Reaction Score
But forbearance time is officially over.

He needs to have his seat turned up to blast furnace levels of hot. I can deal with losses but the sheer number of times his teams are simply unprepared in ALL PHASES is too much to continue to overlook.

If we miss the tournament this season I’d not be opposed to moving on. Because right now the program is going nowhere.

Another thing - he’s shown zero professional growth from his URI days. Zero. Doesn’t seem to understand he’s dealing with a whole other level of talent and competitive drive in the high major ranks.

Reaction Score
After the Ollie debacle and paying him $11 million this week, Hurley with years left on his contract, isn’t going anywhere. I think it’s more than fair for us to wonder if he’s really the guy, but due to his contract, I think he’s here several more years either way.

Reaction Score
He wasn't ready to lose Bouk. But he should have known as last season was playing out and got someone, transfer, who can get a bucket on their own. He didn't. Thought Gaff was better then he is and recruited a small pt. Hawk was considered a shooter with weak handle for college game coming out. Looks more like 3 and done then a 1 and done.

Reaction Score
so far…

Recruiting Grade: A-/B+
Adjustments in game: Grade: D/F
Culture: Grade: A-
Roster construction (lack of guards): D+/C-
Pushing players’ right buttons a la JC (they play scared/tight) - D

i think he can improve in roster construction because it’s so glaring And he does think about stuff Deeply. Adjustments and game planning is the big one, getting kids to not be tight I think will improve when so much isn’t placed on only one guy with limited athleticism.

Feel like we wasted a season with a stud big Sanogo and generally a nice roster by not bringing in an athletic guard or two (shooter type). If guys aren’t good enough, they need to be recruited over. It’s not personal. It doesn’t mean running them off but some of our vets are simply not good enough to play minutes here if we have any hope of getting back to top of Big East and on radar nationally.

Reaction Score
so far…

i think he can improve in roster construction because it’s so glaring And he does think about stuff Deeply. Adjustments and game planning is the big one, getting kids to not be tight I think will improve when so much isn’t placed on only one guy with limited athleticism.

Feel like we wasted a season with a stud big Sanogo and generally a nice roster by not bringing in an athletic guard or two (shooter type). If guys aren’t good enough, they need to be recruited over. It’s not personal. It doesn’t mean running them off but some of our vets are simply not good enough to play minutes here if we have any hope of getting back to top of Big East and on radar nationally.
The last part is the part that worries me, I hope he doesn't remain too loyal. Because there's multiple guys on next season's roster that just aren't good enough to get minutes and need to be recruited over instead of just hoping they can contribute. Hope Dan is ready to do it

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why do people think we'll miss the tournament because we lost on the road AT freaking Villanova.

Os it because we lost 2 games in a row?

Here's a list of teams in the Big East that have not lost 2 games in a row this season:
Providence.

End of list.

Here's a list of teams that have had 5-game winning streaks in conference play this season:
Providence
Villanova
UConn

Does that make you feel better?

Reaction Score
Idk if he's the guy but he's going to be the guy for at least two more seasons. And I think people are already forgetting how bad we were before he came here.

We're going to make the tournament this year, outside of something catastrophic happening. That's the bare minimum for the program. Doing that two years in a row isn't enough to put him on the hot seat.

Let's see what the roster looks like going into next season. If we have a bad year next year, then the hot seat can start warming. But there's no use talking about that now.

Reaction Score
The last part is the part that worries me, I hope he doesn't remain too loyal. Because there's multiple guys on next season's roster that just aren't good enough to get minutes and need to be recruited over instead of just hoping they can contribute. Hope Dan is ready to do it
Brendan Adams was basically Hurley's first UConn recruit and ran him off the team last year.

Reaction Score

He needs to have his seat turned up to blast furnace levels of hot. I can deal with losses but the sheer number of times his teams are simply unprepared in ALL PHASES is too much to continue to overlook.

If we miss the tournament this season I’d not be opposed to moving on. Because right now the program is going nowhere.

Another thing - he’s shown zero professional growth from his URI days. Zero. Doesn’t seem to understand he’s dealing with a whole other level of talent and competitive drive in the high major ranks.
Overreaction of the year???

Reaction Score
Why do people think we'll miss the tournament because we lost on the road AT freaking Villanova.

Here's a list of teams in the Big East that have not lost 2 games in a row this season:
Providence.

End of list.

Here's a list of teams that have had 5-game winning streaks in conference play this season:
Providence
Villanova
UConn

I think it is because of how poorly they played the last two games and the Creighton loss. Had they won the Creighton game, today would have been an "I saw that one coming" loss. But losing to Creighton and then getting their doors blown off today with the schedule they have ahead of them is a little daunting.

Reaction Score

Providence.

End of list.

Providence
Villanova
UConn

Not really considering easy part of schedule is behind us and that is where we put together win streak and avoided multiple Losses until today. Racking up wins against DePaul, Butler and Gtown is not exactly having many here doing cartwheels.

Reaction Score
I think it is because of how poorly they played the last two games and the Creighton loss. Had they won the Creighton game, today would have been an "I saw that one coming" loss. But losing to Creighton and then getting their doors blown off today with the schedule they have ahead of them is a little daunting.
Not really considering easy part of schedule is behind us and that is where we put together win streak and avoided multiple Losses until today. Racking up wins against DePaul, Butler and Gtown is not exactly having many here doing cartwheels.
It's the Big East. It's a gauntlet. We've won all the games we're supposed to win except for Creighton (and maybe Providence but turns out nobody can beat them so...). One tough loss where we played poorly is what it is and doesn't reflect on the coach much. If the Creighton loss had been stuck in the middle of the 5 game winning streak is anyone calling Hurley's seat hot today?? We're 6-4 and favorites in 6 of the next 8 games. We'll lose more than 2 probably because we're only small favorites in a couple, but it's wild the doomsayers. Kansas lost by 20 at home the other day. Baylor lost 3 of 6. We lost by 11 on the road.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think the roster construction stuff will look different soon with Floyd, Karaban and Castle, not to mention (and I EXPECT this) Diggins growing into a lead guard type role. Our guards not being as good at certain things is probably surprising some people, including Hurley. I imagine he expected Jackson, Hawkins, Gaffney and Akok to all be giving him much more than they are offensively.

Reaction Score

Providence.

End of list.

Providence
Villanova
UConn

marq 7 game streak

Reaction Score
Idk if he's the guy but he's going to be the guy for at least two more seasons. And I think people are already forgetting how bad we were before he came here.

We're going to make the tournament this year, outside of something catastrophic happening. That's the bare minimum for the program. Doing that two years in a row isn't enough to put him on the hot seat.

Let's see what the roster looks like going into next season. If we have a bad year next year, then the hot seat can start warming. But there's no use talking about that now.
I am with you on that. Any talk about Hurley being on the hot seat is stupid. Does he need to get better? Yes. And he needs to develop the players better because they lack confidence in every action they do on the court (i.e. Jackson throwing up a flip shot praying it goes in). Yeah he has some deficiencies that aggravate me, but the last few years of the Ollie years were as bad as the Dom Perno years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He wasn't ready to lose Bouk. But he should have known as last season was playing out and got someone, transfer, who can get a bucket on their own. He didn't. Thought Gaff was better then he is and recruited a small pt. Hawk was considered a shooter with weak handle for college game coming out. Looks more like 3 and done then a 1 and done.
Yes and no. I think he was expecting Hawkins, Cole, Martin or Sanogo to step up. They’ve all made progress but none of them are ready to be “the Guy”.

Reaction Score
so far…

There are just so many little things that could make a big difference. Talking more! No reason for Hawkins to be stripped from behind. Don’t throw lazy passes crosscourt. Make layups! These aren’t things that you need exceptional talent for.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think the roster construction stuff will look different soon with Floyd, Karaban and Castle, not to mention (and I EXPECT this) Diggins growing into a lead guard type role. Our guards not being as good at certain things is probably surprising some people, including Hurley. I imagine he expected Jackson, Hawkins, Gaffney and Akok to all be giving him much more than they are offensively.
Polley too. I was a huge Polley 5th year adherent and Hurley was too. It has been a minus I hate to say.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score

Nobody wants Hurley gone but we are looking at 4 seasons without a tournament win. We haven’t looked like a tournament team since Marquette. Five seasons without a tournament win at UConn is not okay

@UofCT

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom