I’ve defended Hurley thus far | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I’ve defended Hurley thus far

Reaction Score
After the Ollie debacle and paying him $11 million this week, Hurley with years left on his contract, isn’t going anywhere. I think it’s more than fair for us to wonder if he’s really the guy, but due to his contract, I think he’s here several more years either way.
This is the reality. He could nosedive for the next 2-3 years and the university doesn't have the financial wherewithal to get rid of him. Because of the extention we're stuck with him, for good or bad.

Reaction Score
This is the reality. He could nosedive for the next 2-3 years and the university doesn't have the financial wherewithal to get rid of him. Because of the extention we're stuck with him, for good or bad.
I’m ok keeping him. I like the culture he’s developing, but the actual player development needs work. What are all the assistants doing?

Reaction Score
I think the roster construction stuff will look different soon with Floyd, Karaban and Castle, not to mention (and I EXPECT this) Diggins growing into a lead guard type role. Our guards not being as good at certain things is probably surprising some people, including Hurley. I imagine he expected Jackson, Hawkins, Gaffney and Akok to all be giving him much more than they are offensively.
Then he needs to recruit over them, plain and simple. Akok will likely never get back to his freshman year potential, and gaff is just flat out not good enough. We need impact players, if you aren’t an impact player, they don’t deserve a spot on this team. It’s nothing personal, this is just how business needs to get done at the level UConn needs to compete at.

Reaction Score
Which raises the question why Benedict keeps giving out these extensions. Ollie got his first extension from Warde Manuel after the championship season, but his 2nd extension was a head scratcher, especially when signs were there that he couldn’t run the program. Hurley was just given his extension, despite not showing any ability to win big games. We’re back in The Big East and we’re UConn. We shouldn’t keep giving out extensions, as if we can’t attract a great coach anymore.

Reaction Score
Why do people think we'll miss the tournament because we lost on the road AT freaking Villanova.

Os it because we lost 2 games in a row?

Here's a list of teams in the Big East that have not lost 2 games in a row this season:
Providence.

End of list.

Here's a list of teams that have had 5-game winning streaks in conference play this season:
Providence
Villanova
UConn

Does that make you feel better?
Make me feel better! :-D

Reaction Score
I think the roster construction stuff will look different soon with Floyd, Karaban and Castle, not to mention (and I EXPECT this) Diggins growing into a lead guard type role. Our guards not being as good at certain things is probably surprising some people, including Hurley. I imagine he expected Jackson, Hawkins, Gaffney and Akok to all be giving him much more than they are offensively.
Hah. Will they play though?

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest. There is a higher percentage chance that Hurley improves his deficiencies than us buying him out AND finding someone else who is significantly better.
I agree. He is actually getting better. I saw a zone today! I wish Akok was ready. Sadly he and gaff are major issues now. I’d like to see springs get some run. He’s bigger.

Reaction Score
Don't know who our strength and conditioning coach is but he should be on the hotseat. We could not control Dixon at all. He had his way inside physically and never looked tired. Martin looked like Hawkins standing next to Daniels and that is with a shirt on. This has been the story for years now.

Reaction Score
Why do people think we'll miss the tournament because we lost on the road AT freaking Villanova.

Here's a list of teams in the Big East that have not lost 2 games in a row this season:
Providence.

End of list.

Here's a list of teams that have had 5-game winning streaks in conference play this season:
Providence
Villanova
UConn

I think people are worried because the Huskies generally haven't played well in the last 2-3 weeks and now they have Marquette this Tuesday, who is playing very well, at Xavier on Friday and then at St. John's on Sunday. If they continue how they've been playing a 2 game skid could easily become a 5 game skid 8 days from now.

Plus they haven't looked like they've improved as the season has gone along. That's what I'm concerned about. Where's the development? This was a staple of UConn teams in the past and people are expecting that. There's still time but they better start soon.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
so far…

Recruiting Grade: A-/B+
Adjustments in game: Grade: D/F
Culture: Grade: A-
Roster construction (lack of guards): D+/C-
Pushing players’ right buttons a la JC (they play scared/tight) - D

Recruiting Grade: A-/B+ - I really like our roster. UConn is not a national championship caliber team yet, but this team can match up with anyone.
Roster construction: B - players not developing as hoped is different from poor roster construction. We have the team we need to make the Sweet 16
Culture: B+ - good effort, play hard, seem to have confidence most of the time
Pushing players right buttons: B- - I think he honestly forgets his rotations in close games and we end up with exhausted players or weird lineups.
Player Development - B+ - players are getting better.
Adjustments in game: F - He is not in the A10 anymore where he can just out-recruit the other teams. Everyone UConn plays but maybe Butler and Georgetown has good talent. Hurley is getting outcoached almost every game. What happens when Stubblefield and Anderson upgrade the talent at Depaul and St. Johns?

Reaction Score
But forbearance time is officially over.

He needs to have his seat turned up to blast furnace levels of hot. I can deal with losses but the sheer number of times his teams are simply unprepared in ALL PHASES is too much to continue to overlook.

If we miss the tournament this season I’d not be opposed to moving on. Because right now the program is going nowhere.

Another thing - he’s shown zero professional growth from his URI days. Zero. Doesn’t seem to understand he’s dealing with a whole other level of talent and competitive drive in the high major ranks.
Starting to wonder if he’s a better recruiter than coach.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

Providence.

End of list.

Providence
Villanova
UConn

Considering who we beat on that winning streak-no. However, everyone is overreacting to a game we would lose 9/10 times at least.

Reaction Score
I’m honestly not really worried about Hurley. I think the climb may just take longer than some anticipated. The peak is going to be oh so sweet though
Hope is a dangerous thing.

Reaction Score
You all remember that year we finished 8th in the BE and went .500 down the stretch? Calm down.
What an absolutely nutty thing to reference. There is no one on this roster in the same stratosphere as Kemba, or even Lamb for that matter. Shabazz as a freshman is probably on Cole’s current level. Roscoe, Oriakhi and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel were great role players as well.

Reaction Score
What an absolutely nutty thing to reference. There is no one on this roster in the same stratosphere as Kemba, or even Lamb for that matter. Shabazz as a freshman is probably on Cole’s current level. Roscoe, Oriakhi and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel were great role players as well.
Agree with your point. Saying freshman Bazz is on coles current level is absurd

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

Providence.

End of list.

Providence
Villanova
UConn

Context is everything. Who did We beat during that five game winning streak?

Reaction Score
Agree with your point. Saying freshman Bazz is on coles current level is absurd
I think Cole on that team would produce similar numbers to Bazz. Bazz was so ready year one, but obviously Kemba was an absolute alpha. Switch their situations I think you see similar results. I guess i’d amend by saying SR. Cole is a better player, but I think they wouldn’t be far off.

Reaction Score
I think Cole on that team would produce similar numbers to Bazz. Bazz was so ready year one, but obviously Kemba was an absolute alpha. Switch their situations I think you see similar results. I guess i’d amend by saying SR. Cole is a better player, but I think they wouldn’t be far off.
I think the further we are removed from players, specifically ones who’ve won championship, the more mystified they become. Meaning we tend to remember them as better than they actually were. I think that happens in all sports. I say this to say, I think cole may have produced similarly bazz’s role. But I don’t believe freshman Bazz would have performed as well as Cole is performing in his role. Concluding that Cole is the better player. Now we both know how this ends. Cole and Bazz shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence in terms of the players the actually became.

Reaction Score
When we hired Hurley an old friend who is a big URI fan, played for them in the day, told me Hurley wasn’t the guy. If he has better talent he will win but if he needs to get the most out of his guys he will spit the bit every time. I didn’t think so, but now I kinda do.

And it isn’t just losing 2 straight. It is St Johns taking us to OT. Struggling with DePaul, losing to Creighton. Being embarrassed by Villanova

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom