I’d start Clingan over Jackson … | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I’d start Clingan over Jackson …

Reaction Score
If I was coach, I would start Clingan and have Jackson come off the bench. I like Jackson, but I think he is best when he pairs with Diarra and they full court press. So I would start DC, AS, TN, AK, JH and start game with a slow grinding offense and crash boards. Then I would bring in Jackson and Diarra, pretty early and switch to full court press as a change of pace.

I think all that energy that Jackson brings might be better as an explosion off the bench. I realize he deserves to start, but think they’re better with him off the bench. I would still play him starters minutes but try to make sure his time lines up with Diarra’s time.
Jackson is so important to the team and how they start the game. He needs to start, that being said, when Clingan is ready to come in, say around the first tv timeout. I’d bring him in and give Jackson a rest, not Sanogo.

Reaction Score
If I was coach, I would start Clingan and have Jackson come off the bench. I like Jackson, but I think he is best when he pairs with Diarra and they full court press. So I would start DC, AS, TN, AK, JH and start game with a slow grinding offense and crash boards. Then I would bring in Jackson and Diarra, pretty early and switch to full court press as a change of pace.

I think all that energy that Jackson brings might be better as an explosion off the bench. I realize he deserves to start, but think they’re better with him off the bench. I would still play him starters minutes but try to make sure his time lines up with Diarra’s time.
It's O.K. to express your opinion, but my opinion is I'm glad you're not the coach. :)

Reaction Score
Let's put him in for all 40 minutes, and when he falls over gassed, the other team will trip over him like a big log!
Reminds me of something I don't get. When I coached this call would totally tick me off. A player dives for a loose ball but doesn't get it. An opposing player gets the ball but trips over the player on the floor. A travel is called. How can that be a travel when an opposing player trips him? A trip does not have to be intentional.

Reaction Score
If I were coach, I'd play seven players at a time, and have two hide behind Clingan.
Now we’re gettin’ somewhere
BB4773FD-CE5C-4A2A-96E8-A46375D4CE09.jpeg

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It’s also worth mentioning the OP doesn’t realize the bigs need Andres passing ability to get the ball in their best spots.

Reaction Score
I know I’ve ruffled some feathers because everyone loves Jackson. I think he is great too, but I think when he plays 37 minutes he gets tired, and he loses some of that dynamic energy. It seems like we fade at the end of games. I would prefer to have a fresh Jackson at the end of game to make a big defensive stop. I think the start of the game where you probably have a bunch of scripted sets to get the ball to Sanogo or Hawkins is a time you can live without Jackson.

Reaction Score
That is the same as saying starting newton, Jackson, Hawkins is like starting 3 QBs. That is silly. I think AS and DC will struggle a bit to figure out how to play with each at the same time. I believe AS has the ability to adapt his game and be a beast as a 4 with DC on the floor over time. But we will never know if we don’t try it. And I’m not so sure why anyone who is a basketball fan wouldn’t want to see it. If it doesn’t work then fine but it blows my mind that people would rather sit either AS or DC for more newton, Allene, diarra time? I’m good with 2 guards at a time with this team.

I disagree that he has the ability to adapt and “be a beast as a 4 with DC on the floor.” I guess we’ll have to leave it at that.

I’ll accept the criticism that my analogy is silly. What I won’t accept that either of these guys is a 4. My point with the QB analogy is that they play the same position. That’s just what they are and what their skills and abilities are suited for.

This is one of the top 6 teams in the country as is. That’s why I don’t want to experiment at this point in the season. Fine tuning and tweaking may be in order, but not a major experiment just to see if it works out. And how long do you give it to see if it works out?

Right now, Sanogo is averaging 26 minutes and Clingan 14 minutes. How many more minutes do you want to get out of each of them when you play them together?

Reaction Score
I know I’ve ruffled some feathers because everyone loves Jackson. I think he is great too, but I think when he plays 37 minutes he gets tired, and he loses some of that dynamic energy. It seems like we fade at the end of games. I would prefer to have a fresh Jackson at the end of game to make a big defensive stop. I think the start of the game where you probably have a bunch of scripted sets to get the ball to Sanogo or Hawkins is a time you can live without Jackson.
I don't particularly agree with your premise but you've gotten an unfair shake here with everyone making fun of your post. We all know that things need to be shaken up because we've lost these three road games and have looked stale overall in Big East play. I think Jackson needs to be our full time point guard with Newton off the ball scoring. I think we need to stop force feeding Sanogo in the post so much and pop him out more, I also think he needs to stay down low much more on defense. Clingan needs a lot more minutes. We're all searching for answers right now on how to get us looking better. It's Hurley's job to figure it out.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I get Sanogo and Clingan are two of our best players and you want the best players on the court, but with the makeup of this team I do not think is conducive to having them both on the floor together for the majority of the game. Unless one can become a threat from the high post consistently. Otherwise we have a poor driving team, with one less shooter on the floor and a clogged paint. Not sure that is going to produce a better offense than we have seen. Offense has not been this teams' problem, for the most part. We were in both the Xavier and Marquette games and the defense failed. The Providence loss was a disaster on both offense and defense.

The tough stretch is over. Time to make minor tweaks to the rotation and overall allocation of minutes depending on matchups and build some momentum again. This is not a time for a complete overhaul.

Reaction Score
The productivity we get out of the 5 spot is one of our major strengths. Very few CBB Programs.. If any..Have higher productivity at the 5..They are both successful with different skill sets.. Defense is not Adama's strength. Clingan plays older than his years.

There are other personnel challenges that need to be improved upon other than AS/DC.. We need to re-commit to team D/50-50 balls/boards.. Get our bench guys (portal guys) playing with confidence and passion. Get Newton playing downhill with the ball in his hands. Ball movement and transition offense.

Looking for a new win streak starting on Sunday.. Posh will be in the house.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Clingan is the Wilt C. of the NBE, he's coming.

Reaction Score

Starting Clingan is a no-brainer, statistically he is the best that have per minutes played, his minutes are too limited. Newton is not a point guard, he is too slow bringing the ball up, average passer at best. Jackson should play point, twice as quick in bringing the ball up, hard to trap and an excellent passer. Sonogo should move to the 4. Keep Karaban and put Cal in in place of Hawkins. He is batter at ball handling and defense. If he shot as much as Hawkins, there would be a lot more scoring. Hawkins has not been that good, except flashes and he stands around way too much. When Hamilton or Allen played that position, they were in constant motion, which makes it much tougher to defend. Hurley, has a good job recruiting and on teaching defense, but his offense is too dependent on a player having a great game. He is terrible at in game adjustments. Clingan should have started 2nd half, if he had a clue.

Reaction Score
I disagree that he has the ability to adapt and “be a beast as a 4 with DC on the floor.” I guess we’ll have to leave it at that.

I’ll accept the criticism that my analogy is silly. What I won’t accept that either of these guys is a 4. My point with the QB analogy is that they play the same position. That’s just what they are and what their skills and abilities are suited for.

This is one of the top 6 teams in the country as is. That’s why I don’t want to experiment at this point in the season. Fine tuning and tweaking may be in order, but not a major experiment just to see if it works out. And how long do you give it to see if it works out?

Right now, Sanogo is averaging 26 minutes and Clingan 14 minutes. How many more minutes do you want to get out of each of them when you play them together?
Guys this is not the NBA. I think you and several others in this thread forget that college basketball is a 5 man team sport. Clingan and Sanogo on the floor together make it a much stronger team, and they also make the other three players better as well, be it Karaban, Newton, or Hawkins.

Reaction Score
That's the problem, Sanogo is getting 28.3 minutes per game in Big East play and Clingan is getting 12.7 minutes despite Sanogo losing most of his mathups and Clingan playing a lot better than him. The minutes are out of whack, either give them a 50/50 minutes split or find a way to play them together. Clingan getting shortchanged is not a recipe for success.

Reaction Score
It would be nothing like starting 2 QBs. In all reality minus the back to the basket game Sanogo is a 4. It may not be the way to start the game but if the game is like it was against Xavier and 2nd half versus Marquette then it's certainly an idea. Well for some.
What are your thoughts on AS, Ak, Hawk,Joe Cali and AJax at the point?

Reaction Score
The team looks much different/better to me when Clingan is in. And would get even better with more playing time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom