Hypothetical: Z and Crystal Dangerfield Both Start - Who Doesn't? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hypothetical: Z and Crystal Dangerfield Both Start - Who Doesn't?

If Azura and Crystal both started next year, which of this year's starters wouldn't?

• Kia

Votes: 41 57.7%
  • Gabby

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Lou

• Napheesa

• Total voters

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I only list the ones that count. ;)
The only one that counts to Geno obviously is the WBCA, that's what it takes to get your name on the Wall.....

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield won't start next year unless she has an epiphany during the offseason and knocks Geno's socks off during the practices before the first game.

IMHO, of course.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As much as Geno loves defense, sitting the reigning defense player of the year, yeah, good luck with that idea.

That's why I would not do it. No way Z and CD start. Cuz CD has yet to demo she has earned starting.

Reaction Score
If Geno sat one of those four I would sit Geno cause you know he is not thinking sttaight

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If Z and CD both start, that means there's an injured player and she's the one sitting.

Reaction Score
I voted, but I don't believe in the original premise for second.

Reaction Score
I voted KLS in this hypothetical very unlikely scenario just because her game is somewhat limited right now. We already have better players on the interior (Collier/Gabby), better defenders (Kia/Gabby), better 3-point shooters (Kia), better ball handlers (Kia), and taller players (Z).

Reaction Score
If Z and CD both start, that means there's an injured player and she's the one sitting.
Please don't use the injured player ---story line!! I'm not superstitious---I just hate thinking of it.
I believe we'll see a rotation of starter---smaller teams Collier bigger teams Z- and in tough games both--I'm pretty sure the bench will consist of : Butler, Molly, Kyla, AEH, Walker (for a short spell), Alexi, Batuloy (subbing for Collier) feel like I'm missing one or 2///

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Those that earn it in practice will start/ play. And they will be the ones that Geno trusts

Reaction Score
My vote was for Kia because the others are retuning All Americans, and I can't think of the last time a retuning All American wasn't a starter. Now sure someone could have a Houston type of year( really good Jr year, not so good senior year) but I don't see that happening, but after putting some more thought into it, if someone was to lose a starting spot to Z it could be Collier. I think Collier is a really good scorer who got a lot of points off Gabby Williams passing abilities, so it's possible that Z can have a season similar to the one Collier just had with Gabby at the high post.

Reaction Score
Everybody seems to be assuming that either Crystal or Azura will start next year, but not both. Just as a force ranking exercise (real world), what if BOTH of them start? Which of last years starters comes off the bench?

This isn't a, "That's not gonna happen - we can't do that to one of this year's starters" poll. If that's your answer, then feel free not to participate. But, what if.....?
I don't see that scenario happening, unless someone, God forbid, gets hurt...
So you are going to sit an AP/USWBA/WBCA 1st AA? Brilliant, just brilliant.
or the starting point guard for the Canadian Olympic Team? Uh, no...eh..

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't see that scenario happening, unless someone, God forbid, gets hurt...

or the starting point guard for the Canadian Olympic Team? Uh, no...eh..

Any one of the six who sits will be justified in starting. The only one who doesn't have a rather large resume at the time is Dangerfield but her talent is obvious and Geno knows it considering his reported gloating over her future ability late in the year. There really is no right answer here and the staff is going to have one heck of a decision to make.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hope it's a tough decision, because that will mean that Danger has made a big leap from her freshman to sophomore season. At present, I think it's an easy decision with the 4 returning starters + Z.

Reaction Score
This is going to be a long 7 months with topics like this. Head bang

I understand exactly what you mean and your emotican says it all. How can you not start 3 All Americans, and the point guard of the Canadian National Team?

Where does this thinking come from, hypothetical or not?

I am going to feed the horses and put some hay out for the elk.

Reaction Score
There actually is a danger (pun alert!) in this incredible embarrassment of riches.

If Crystal DOESN'T start--and I agree that that's the likeliest scenario even if it means UConn starts the season without a true point--she may not really fulfill her destiny as a premier point guard. The games when Kia was hurt showed she played well when given lots of playing time. If she doesn't get the big minutes next year, she'll essentially start her junior year with a big burden, with very talented players behind her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Danger will get lots of PT next season. The real question is, will she be as effective coming in off the bench. Some players have difficulty getting into the flow of the game when they come in off the bench, while others make an impact as soon as they step on the floor. I think of legendary Celtic 6th man John Havilacek as one of those immediate impact players.

Danger will be better next year, hopefully a lot better. I can foresee Geno putting her in games anywhere from the 5 minute mark to the end of the 1st qtr to create an immediate change of pace, speeding games up and hopefully breaking them wide open.

Reaction Score
There actually is a danger (pun alert!) in this incredible embarrassment of riches.

If Crystal DOESN'T start--and I agree that that's the likeliest scenario even if it means UConn starts the season without a true point--she may not really fulfill her destiny as a premier point guard. The games when Kia was hurt showed she played well when given lots of playing time. If she doesn't get the big minutes next year, she'll essentially start her junior year with a big burden, with very talented players behind her.
Danger will get lots of PT next season. The real question is, will she be as effective coming in off the bench. Some players have difficulty getting into the flow of the game when they come in off the bench, while others make an impact as soon as they step on the floor. I think of legendary Celtic 6th man John Havilacek as one of those immediate impact players.

Danger will be better next year, hopefully a lot better. I can foresee Geno putting her in games anywhere from the 5 minute mark to the end of the 1st qtr to create an immediate change of pace, speeding games up and hopefully breaking them wide open.
Very compelling arguments for Crystal to start next year. And IMO Azura will definitely start. So who DOESN'T start?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Very compelling arguments for Crystal to start next year. And IMO Azura will definitely start. So who DOESN'T start?
I'm not making the argument that Danger should start next year, just that I think she'll be good and will provide a great change of pace off the bench. I have always believed that the 4 returning starters plus Z will be UConn's starting lineup next season.

Reaction Score
I voted KLS in this hypothetical very unlikely scenario just because her game is somewhat limited right now. We already have better players on the interior (Collier/Gabby), better defenders (Kia/Gabby), better 3-point shooters (Kia), better ball handlers (Kia), and taller players (Z).
I tend to agree. I just don't believe sitting such an incredible offensive and defensive player such as Collier is smart. Remember the team suffers in tough situations without her. Sit Lou in this situation. But the big assumption here is Z is POY material. I believe Wilson will have something to say about that.

Reaction Score
I'm not making the argument that Danger should start next year, just that I think she'll be good and will provide a great change of pace off the bench. I have always believed that the 4 returning starters plus Z will be UConn's starting lineup next season.
I know what you meant, but to me you are making the argument that Crystal Dangerfield should start :cool:

Reaction Score
Geno treats transfers as freshman so the starting 5 should be the same as this year with Dangerfield taking chongs spot to start the season. From there it goes by how well they do in practice as to how much playing time they get.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom