Hypothetical ACC vs. B1G | The Boneyard

Hypothetical ACC vs. B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hypothetical situation: suppose Uconn had a choice between accepting a B1G ten offer or an ACC with Notre Dame all in for football and nobody else leaving ACC offer. Which one would you take if you were Uconn?

Reaction Score
Hypothetical situation: suppose Uconn had a choice between accepting a B1G ten offer or an ACC with Notre Dame all in for football and nobody else leaving ACC offer. Which one would you take if you were Uconn?
Nobody else ever leaving? As a basketball fan, I'd choose ACC. I think it would be more fun. I don't care about football.

From a money perspective, and from a university prestige factor, I'd wager they'd go B1G. And that would probably be the right choice.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Nobody else ever leaving? As a basketball fan, I'd choose ACC. I think it would be more fun. I don't care about football.

From a money perspective, and from a university prestige factor, I'd wager they'd go B1G. And that would probably be the right choice.

This. I should have fleshed out my answer more but these are my feelings, too.

Reaction Score
Better $$ choice? B1G. But I live in Tobacco Road and married a Tar Heel so I'm praying for an invite to ACC.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
B1G hands down....the money is too much to pass on.

Should add that I just can't see a hypothetical where everyone stays put....

However, our rivals all reside in the ACC so maybe I should think harder on this....screw it....turkey is calling very soon. Sticking with B1G. Basketball is not so horrible and travelling to OSU and Michigan wouldn't be so bad!

Reaction Score
with ND full member in ACC... Don't think it's close.
ND would get the ACC up to $25M range as constituted...
Better locations, better fit, better everything.

Without ND all in, Big10 hands down.

Reaction Score
The B1G, easily.

Now, if the $$$ and stability were equal, and it was a choice of current ACC w/ ND all in or the B1G, I would say ACC.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
with ND full member in ACC... Don't think it's close.
ND would get the ACC up to $25M range as constituted...
Better locations, better fit, better everything.

Without ND all in, Big10 hands down.

I agree with all of this. ND all in and everybody else guaranteed not to leave would be more money and closer travel distances. I'd go with the ACC in that case. If ND is not all in or continues their flirty, non-commital ways, then I'd go B1G.

Reaction Score
My heart says ACC cause I feel like its a good fit, but B1G is way to good to turn down

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Expansion is a shipwreck.

The Big East is a piece of wood that bobbed up after the ship sank. We're clinging to that. In the end, some chubby broad will watch us slowly sink out of sight.

The ACC is a perfectly nice lifeboat. If we get to that, at worst we'll survive and at best, we'll do quite well.

Big Ten is a Disney cruise ship barreling through the debris. Those people are blissfully unaware of folks like us and our pieces of wood. If we get there, there are no worries about anything. We're not getting there, though.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
NFC east. That'll show those Rutgers folks!

Reaction Score
If the ACC can redo their contracts and get as much as or more than the B1G, the ACC. I'd rather stay on the east coast.

Reaction Score
ACC is the more natural fit geographically. I would also like the rivalries. The thought of playing Minnesota or Winsconsin does not excite me. N.C. or Duke, however . . . . Not to mention Syracuse and Pitt again.

Reaction Score
In football, I'm far more interested in watching Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska than anything the ACC has.

And with Maryland and Rutgers there, there are regional rivals to play.

Basketball, though, is what I care about, and an ACC lineup of UNC, Duke, Syracuse beats Michigan State, Indiana, and whatever else by a lot.

Reaction Score
In football, I'm far more interested in watching Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska than anything the ACC has.

And with Maryland and Rutgers there, there are regional rivals to play.

Basketball, though, is what I care about, and an ACC lineup of UNC, Duke, Syracuse beats Michigan State, Indiana, and whatever else by a lot.
Most ACC football programs are very well supported. UMD, BC, Duke, and WF are/were probably the only exceptions. And maybe Miami as of right now. Duke just resigned their coach to an extension though. There is plenty of history in ACC football programs, even including Duke.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If the move to the ACC includes a contract increase due to ND, then ACC. We'd have Cuse, Pitt and BC as local rivals. Basketball would be incredible, m and w. Our baseball program would move to the biggest stage. The potential for road trips to Miami, Atlanta etc in the late fall/winter would be nice.

In the B1G, you'd get the occasional visit from Michigan and OSU. We'd have regional opponents in RU, UMD and PSU. We'd have an extra 5 million or so (maybe more) per year to play with. Solid basketball. We'd have a home for hockey as well, although HE is a much better fit.

Reaction Score
I'd want to see the contract of ND being all in. Are they still allowed to have their own NBC contract money, or are they shifting all in to ESPN with the rest of the ACC? If it's the latter, and it's not laced with loopholes galore, all current ACC schools are in, there is a GOR as well as an astronomical exit fee (and MD pays the full $50 million), the ACC would have to the ability to rework the deal with ESPN, and team 16 would be a solid choice, either UL or some other school, I'd say ACC. You cannot discount the value of ND all in. They boost the value more than anyone in the country, especially with them now being a national player again. If they make the title game, watch how high the TV ratings are. While the B1G would be solid, travel would be higher, we'd have no natural rivals except for RU, the basketball quality comparison would not even be close - and the ACC would likely make a play at MSG for the tournament - B1G hockey would be bad for UConn in comparison to HE - airplanes as opposed to bus league (if you're a fan, you can easily see EVERY game of the season except for ND without boarding a plane), better top to bottom competition, deal with NBC Sports Network and NESN, it's not even close. Ask BC hockey fans if they want to stay in HE or go B1G hockey, they'll say HE.

That said, the scenarios I laid out all are fairly unlikely to happen, so if by the grace of god we have a choice of ACC or B1G and ND is not all in, it's not even close, B1G.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I agree with all of this. ND all in and everybody else guaranteed not to leave would be more money and closer travel distances. I'd go with the ACC in that case. If ND is not all in or continues their flirty, non-commital ways, then I'd go B1G.
While I have some sympathy for this position, I wonder what would keep the Irish from jumping ship from the ACC whenever they felt it was in their best interest? I think just from a stability standpoint I would go BiG (of course the status and money wouldn´t be bad either).

Reaction Score
ACC hands down, with or without ND.

Those that say BiG are acting just like the conference commissioners and some school presidents - just chasing the money.

UConn belongs in the best bb conference, one where fb has an even chance to excel, one where away games are relatively close, and one where college rivalries (remember those) can be both revisited and initiated.

Over time its old fashion rivalries and a bunch of schools, not just 3 or 4, having a chance at winning that encourage fan support. For short periods other variables may dominate but the tried and true old rivalry wins all the time.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Big 10 on University CIC and Bowl lineup alone. The money would be a bonus.

Reaction Score
BiG- It seems like theres a possibility that any combination of FSU, Clemson, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and UNC could and would leave the ACC if offered by the BiG or Big 12. Then we would be in the same situation in the ACC as we are now except with a $50 million dollar exit fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom