Husky Pups | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Husky Pups

Reaction Score
Nice pic. It will be a big help in recognizing who is on the floor when watching a game on TV. During a game I track by quarter UConn player's baskets made (and whether 3 or 2 pt), free throws made and fouls. Generally it takes a few games for me to recognize the new players if I can't see their number. Maybe this year will be a faster learning curve.

A comment on the pic at the Instagram site was that Nike swoosh on Aaliyah's socks are upside down. How is that even possible?

Reaction Score
Nice pic. It will be a big help in recognizing who is on the floor when watching a game on TV. During a game I track by quarter UConn player's baskets made (and whether 3 or 2 pt), free throws made and fouls. Generally it takes a few games for me to recognize the new players if I can't see their number. Maybe this year will be a faster learning curve.

A comment on the pic at the Instagram site was that Nike swoosh on Aaliyah's socks are upside down. How is that even possible?

If they are inside out.

Reaction Score
I just knew in asking about the upsidedown swoosh there was an obvious answer I missed. Alydar's theory was something to think about but no. JonathanXIV was on the right track. Biff actually looked and discovered the real answer. She did fold the top of her socks over. Good catch Biff!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Anna, Aaliyah, and Nika have played for their National team's, what other current Husky player has done that? All three National teams that they played for are better then most college teams, so I wouldn't sell them short. Yes they will have to adapt to Geno ball but they aren't like normal Freshman. Look at Anna, at the beginning she did look like a deer in the headlights, but at the end of the season she was one of the top players on the team.
The bolded statements are not accurate and somewhat misleading.
Anna is currently one of 20 players listed on the 2020 Polish National Team. The final rosters will be 12 players as it was in 2019 when Anna did not make the team. Although she was reported to have been working out with the Polish National Team during her recent visit home there is a chance Anna will not make the final National team roster.
Poland National Team News, Rumors, Roster, Stats, Awards - eurobasket

Nika Muhl is not on the Croatian National Team Roster. Her highest level of national competition is representing Croatia at the U19 Championship.
Croatia National Team News, Rumors, Roster, Stats, Awards - eurobasket

Aliyah Edwards did play with the Canadian National Team in the 2019 America's Cup. Missing from that Canadian Team however were both Kia Nurse and Natalie Achonwa.

So to answer your question: what other Huskies have done that?
Christy Williams and Paige Bueckers experience with USA basketball was a better (more competitive) than the international experience of both Nika and Anna. You may also have forgotten that that Oliva played with the National Team in the 2019 America Cup-which was the same & only tournament which Aliyah represented Canada.

Reaction Score
On the surface, Nika should be ahead of Dixon heading Into her freshman year simply due to her significantly more experience in Europe.
From a statistic perspective Loren’s freshman stats are listed 1st, career 2nd
GP-S Pts. Min per FG/ 3pt/ FT% A TO steals
35-10 2.1 14.4 .375/.167/.600 57 42 11
135-18 2.5 16.7 .417/.220/.615 278 170. 70

So based on what I see Nika should be a better shooter with a higher Assist to Turnover ratio than Loren 57-42 and more steals.

Loren was a great contributor but Nika should provide more. IMHO.
In her respective leagues Nika was usually first in assists, near the top in steals, and rebounded more like you would expect of a SF, way more than most point guards. I think those things being above average at the college level are almost a given, with scoring and shooting being the question marks in her game. If she is around average there, she could still be a very good player for us. We probably don't need another point guard until the 24/25 season when we could need two since Paige and Nika are in the same class.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The bolded statements are not accurate and somewhat misleading.
Anna is currently one of 20 players listed on the 2020 Polish National Team. The final rosters will be 12 players as it was in 2019 when Anna did not make the team. Although she was reported to have been working out with the Polish National Team during her recent visit home there is a chance Anna will not make the final National team roster.
Poland National Team News, Rumors, Roster, Stats, Awards - eurobasket

Nika Muhl is not on the Croatian National Team Roster. Her highest level of national competition is representing Croatia at the U19 Championship.
Croatia National Team News, Rumors, Roster, Stats, Awards - eurobasket

Aliyah Edwards did play with the Canadian National Team in the 2019 America's Cup. Missing from that Canadian Team however were both Kia Nurse and Natalie Achonwa.

So to answer your question: what other Huskies have done that?
Christy Williams and Paige Bueckers experience with USA basketball was a better (more competitive) than the international experience of both Nika and Anna. You may also have forgotten that that Oliva played with the National Team in the 2019 America Cup-which was the same & only tournament which Aliyah represented Canada.
Nika is considered the top World player (Non US), she is ranked #1 while Aliyah is ranked #4. If I remember correctly Anna was ranked in the Top 5 when she committed to UConn. Some believe that if they had been ranked along with the US players all of them would be in the Top 15, Anna in last years listing and both Nika and Aliyah in this years. As I stated they have played for National teams, U19 is considered a National team, just like Paige and CW. I also said that they ARE NOT like normal Freshman, they are above high school level and both of them are ranked in the Top 5 of Non US players. Both Nika and Aliyah will have above average Freshman minutes this year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Nika is considered the top World player (Non US), she is ranked #1 while Aliyah is ranked #4. If I remember correctly Anna was ranked in the Top 5 when she committed to UConn. Some believe that if they had been ranked along with the US players all of them would be in the Top 15, Anna in last years listing and both Nika and Aliyah in this years. As I stated they have played for National teams, U19 is considered a National team, just like Paige and CW. I also said that they ARE NOT like normal Freshman, they are above high school level and both of them are ranked in the Top 5 of Non US players. Both Nika and Aliyah will have above average Freshman minutes this year.

“I just want to be confident and comfortable on the court,” Makurat said “We have a lot of younger guys now so I hope the experiences from last year will help me to be mature on the court, do the right things, and help the team win.” It’s so good to be back, especially when you finally know that you’re closer to the season and the season is going to start and you have games to play in a month,” Makurat said.

Makurat is feeling good with a year in America and Storrs under her belt. After a slow start, she averaged 7.9 points, 3.9 rebounds, and 3.3 assists in 32 games as a freshman. She ranked 12th in the AAC in assists, fourth in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.8), and third in 3-point shooting (41.0 percent). She shot 45.6 percent from behind the arc over her final 27 games after starting the year 2-for-19. She was a unanimous selection to the AAC all-freshman team.

Spending much of the spring and a part of the summer at home allowed her to get into better shape and that will only help. "This year, I know what to expect,” Makurat said. “I know what the practices will be like, I know how to get ready and prepare my body so I can spend more time on the court. I've adjusted to life in America, my new team, coaches the system and college life.

“Right now it’s pretty normal for us because we can practice and we do school as usual,” Makurat said. “All of my classes are online, but we have study halls and it’s similar to what we did in the past. The quarantine and working in pods were different, but it’s getting back to normal.”

She’ll do what she can to help the freshmen, rated the No. 2 recruiting class nationally behind Oregon, have a smooth transition into the system and college life away from home. "It’s a great group, super-competitive,” Makurat said. “They give us so much energy and they have this fighting spirit. They'll fight for every loose ball and on every possession. I’m so excited to play with them.”

It will be interesting to see how well and how quickly this entire team will mesh. We expect there to be a gap between the freshmen and the returning player's play and execution. I'll be interested to see how big that gap is. Once the season starts, you know the reserves will be anxious to get on the floor and get their feet wet, and let the starters cheer for them. :cool:

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In her respective leagues Nika was usually first in assists, near the top in steals, and rebounded more like you would expect of a SF, way more than most point guards. I think those things being above average at the college level are almost a given, with scoring and shooting being the question marks in her game. If she is around average there, she could still be a very good player for us. We probably don't need another point guard until the 24/25 season when we could need two since Paige and Nika are in the same class.
Of the games I saw her play (5 or 6) I would rate that competition at close to NCAA D1 P5 caliber but think the league Anna was in during her time was better and why Anna came on like game busters. Plus Anna was needed due to a dearth of numbers. As noted Nika may only be restricted due to the sheer number of guards on this team who are all highly rated and proven. As we are in the Big East, we could play 4 guards and ONO or Edwards at times and be more than ok. Against Baylor and SC we could have match up issues with 4 guards...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what "above average Freshman minutes" means in the context of UCONN WBB. In case your original question was not rhetorical I'll try and answer again.
Your Question:Anna, Aaliyah, and Nika have played for their National team's, what other current Husky player has done that?
The answer:
Paige, Christyn, Olivia, & Evina. Aubrey Griffin was also a finalist for the U17 team in 2018

Reaction Score
I think UConn will play 4 guards a lot. ONO is the only 5. Edwards is a legit 4. Anna could play the 4, but is more effective at 3. Piath is a project. What do you do if ONO is in foul trouble? You play four guards.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think UConn will play 4 guards a lot. ONO is the only 5. Edwards is a legit 4. Anna could play the 4, but is more effective at 3. Piath is a project. What do you do if ONO is in foul trouble? You play four guards.
Aubrey Griffin is a forward and is either going to start or be the first forward off the bench as she was last year.

Reaction Score
I think playing four guards if Ono is in foul trouble is one possibility, and probably better than using Piath if she isn't ready. The best option for me is milking a three big rotation with Nelson-Ododa, Aaliyah, and Aubrey for those 80 minutes. In most games as long as those three are healthy, that can work, but yes if Ono's minutes are significantly cut from major foul trouble then the small ball lineup might have to be used some. If Piath or even Mir shows a-lot that might not be necessary, but that might be a longshot.

Reaction Score
We've talked a lot about the positive influence Jamelle had on Liv last year but I just think that Jamelle is going to do amazing things for Aubrey and Mir. They are the Jamelle archetype! I can't see them not giving a 110% to her since she did at their size what they want to accomplish in that SF role. What better teacher could they have....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nika will be 1st off the bench or starting by the end of the season. Great court vision & she makes her teammates better. Hard to "teach" that at 17.
I like Nika, but I think she'll be 7th or 8th on the depth chart. Plus, I'm pretty sure she's 18 already.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks! I think I meant 19, not 18. I know the Euros tend to be older (Sabally, for example).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom