Husky Offense This Season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Husky Offense This Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was expecting a lot from NB last year and she just didn't do it. So I won't predict big things this year and I didn't see a lot last year so I'm thinking she is Will Crockett.

The team by the end of the year will play small ball. If everyone remains healthy big teams will also have problems guarding UCONN and Geno will develop the defense. I think they need to fend off offensive rebounding and three point shooting the most. Three point shooting because vs certain teams they won't be very good rebounding the ball therefore they'll have to pack it in more which means less fatsbreaks at the other end too.

Playing small ball - Gabby really needs to be able score along with KLS, NC, KN and I believe The Real Danger will be a decent scorer in the mold of Khalid El Amin by the 2nd half of the season - we'll have a gritty team in which everything will need to roll right. But I believe small ball will be the way and we'll try to use matchups to work on getting post-up baskets. Heck even KN could maybe do something inside vs small guards.

What did you expect her to do?....play like Stewy of Steph?

WOW!...How soon people forget what she went through with the hand surgery, and who she played behind….Arguably, the most talented 6 ever to hit the floor.

In my opinion…she did pretty good considering the challenges she faced.

I do agree, there will be times Geno will go small ball depending on what he sees. But, it’s nice to know he will have a healthy Nat. that can post, pick, score, and rebound when he needs it.
I think we will see good things from her this year.

Reaction Score
What did you expect her to do?....play like Stewy of Steph?

WOW!...How soon people forget what she went through with the hand surgery, and who she played behind….Arguably, the most talented 6 ever to hit the floor.

In my opinion…she did pretty good considering the challenges she faced.

I do agree, there will be times Geno will go small ball depending on what he sees. But, it’s nice to know he will have a healthy Nat. that can post, pick, score, and rebound when he needs it.
I think we will see good things from her this year.

No- I wanted her to play well and improve. I don't think she did any of those things. She doesn't look like the beast on the backboards I thought. Maybe the hand issue plagued her throughout the year but I didn't see a player who had much low post moves or a tenacious rebounder or much of a passer.

You suggest I forgot- I say I didn't forget. Instead the hand injury might have been an excuse. And just because she isn't Stewie or Stef doesn't mean she is bad - but last year I didn't see many of the things that you are projecting that she will be. I hope you're right with your projection. Right now I see her in more because we're desperate for some size. Will Crockett did do some very nice thigns for UCONN. SO Maybe we can come to some sort of agreement when you say ---
when he needs it.

I think they'll play small quite a bit more because that will be their best team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why not ? It counted on the opponents score sheet.
No, when a player scores for the opposition the points are obviously credited to the opposition but no player is credited with the points. It merely becomes a footnote in the scorebook.

Reaction Score
Just an idle thought - does Swin's basket count in her career total points scored?
In the NBA,Rule 5, Section 1d:
A field goal accidentally scored in an opponent's basket shall be added to the opponent's score, credited to the opposing player nearest the shooter and mentioned in a footnote.
In NCAA BBall, Rule 5, Section 1, Article 4a:
When a player scores a field goal in the opponent’s basket, it shall count two points for the opponent regardless of the location on the playing court from where it was released. Such a field goal shall not be credited to a player in the scorebook but shall be indicated with a footnote
High school ball generally follows the NCAA rule.

In rec department ball the rules can vary, but usually the goal is not scored and it is handled as a turnover. Gotta be supportive of the kids.

Who was the NBA player a few years ago who tried to pad stats to get a triple-double by taking a shot at his own basket and collecting the rebound (needed a rebound for the T-D)?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think scoring is going to be a year long struggle for this team. KLS is really the only "true scorer" they have, and she is going to face opposing teams best defenders this year. I think this UConn team will struggle to score 70.
That would be something new. Since 1999-2000 season, UCONN has never averaged below 70 ppg. Lowest was 04/05 at 70.6 ppg. With playing in the AAC now, I think we can be above the 70 point margin.

Oops, looks like Miami beat me too it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No- I wanted her to play well and improve. I don't think she did any of those things. She doesn't look like the beast on the backboards I thought. Maybe the hand issue plagued her throughout the year but I didn't see a player who had much low post moves or a tenacious rebounder or much of a passer.

You suggest I forgot- I say I didn't forget. Instead the hand injury might have been an excuse. And just because she isn't Stewie or Stef doesn't mean she is bad - but last year I didn't see many of the things that you are projecting that she will be. I hope you're right with your projection. Right now I see her in more because we're desperate for some size. Will Crockett did do some very nice thigns for UCONN. SO Maybe we can come to some sort of agreement when you say ---
when he needs it.

I think they'll play small quite a bit more because that will be their best team.

Natalie--with and without the injury being apparent--sat a long time with her redshirt year and then the injury--come on--everyone knew the injury was real, so how can it be and excuse, it was a fact!!--
Natalie went from being at least ONE focus for GT to almost last option at Uconn--vastly different mental view of the game--
This year, if all works well, she will be a more often option and expectations on her production will be extremely higher.
It's a different game when there is a Stew that will save any losing team--rather than when YOU and your teammates must win or lose.
Much more ego investment.
The truth of Natalie shall be seen probably more in Dec rather than Nov. It would be nice should we see it on November's Baylor game.\
Question???----When you say Uconn will play SMALL as their best team--is that Crystal, TLaw, Chong, Gabby, Bent???
I suspect Geno will go with Katie Lou, Napheesa, Gabby, Kia, Natalie or Irwin --small , medium or micro large
That may change of Chong is healthy and back to her HS scoring mode--(we haven't seen that mode except in the Stanford game).

Reaction Score
Natalie--with and without the injury being apparent--sat a long time with her redshirt year and then the injury--come on--everyone knew the injury was real, so how can it be and excuse, it was a fact!!--
Natalie went from being at least ONE focus for GT to almost last option at Uconn--vastly different mental view of the game--
This year, if all works well, she will be a more often option and expectations on her production will be extremely higher.
It's a different game when there is a Stew that will save any losing team--rather than when YOU and your teammates must win or lose.
The truth of Natalie shall be seen probably more in Dec rather than Nov. It would be nice should we see it on November's Baylor game.\
Question???----When you say Uconn will play SMALL as their best team--is that Crystal, TLaw, Chong, Gabby, Bent???
I suspect Geno will go with Katie Lou, Napheesa, Gabby, Kia, Natalie or Irwin --small , medium or micro large
That may change of Chong is healthy and back to her HS scoring mode--(we haven't seen that mode except in the Stanford game).

Well said…BroadwayVa

Some interesting stats from her freshmen year at Georgetown….

2013-14 --- Big East Freshmen of the year.
Category ------------------National Ranking------Big East Ranking
Rebounds (13.3pg) -----5th-----1st Fresh---------1st---1st Fresh
Double Doubles (24) -- 9th-----1st Fresh---------1st---1st Fresh
Blocks (1.84pg) --------- 55th---8th Fresh---------2nd--1st Fresh
Field-Goal % (49.1) ---- 78th --5th Fresh---------3rd--1st Fresh

Hoophuskee…please don't take offense on my comments…I’m not on yours.
That is what makes the boneyard so great…we can agree to disagree.

I am in agreement with BroadwaysVa post. I could not have said it better…

Just to add…
My projection is based off what she did at Georgetown, not last year…I’m also, not saying we will see those type of numbers either…different team/different environment.

IMO...Now that she is getting the best coaching / training…Something, that lacked in Georgetown. I see her doing well above then expected...let's pray she stays healthy, comes into this season, in shape with confidence…the sky’s is the limit for her.

Something that my coach taught me “You don’t need to be flashy to be a good team player…sometimes it’s the work away from the ball that brings in championships”.

Reaction Score

Yes she had an the injury - but all year she couldn't get better? I don't know how much her injury bothered her in February, do you? If so can you provide the links in which it states her injury was still bothering her going after rebounds in Febraury? The excuse I was referring in terms of the injury was that it festered into the entire year and she didn't look like a rebounder even in February. I heard at GTOWN she was a tenacious offensive rebounder. I didn't see that - at all.

So I said "maybe" the injury plagued her THROUGHOUT the year. I did say "maybe" the injury plagued her THROUGHOUT the year. I did say "maybe" the injury plagued her THROUGHOUT the year. I did say "maybe" the injury plagued her THROUGHOUT the year.
Further, I said I'm not going to predict big things from her. I have no reason to do so because I'm skeptical how long that injury bothered her. I said I'm "skeptical." I didn't say I'm "definite." I hope no one clobbers me for that.

And it's okay if we agree to disagree-- that's okay, right? And if I called NB "maybe a Will Corckett" is that so bad? We don't win a title without Will Crockett.

And third, more to the point of agree to disagree- do I really need to explain "if we play small" what lineup it is? You mean you couldn't understand KLS/NC/GW/KN and Cd or Chong is the lineup whenever ANYONE references they want UCONN to play small? And please I hope if anyone replies that they don't come back with KLS "isn't small." She's tall but she "plays small." I expect all of us fans that follow UCONN a lot know of this along with the Geno and CD comments that KLS doesn't rebound like her sister(s) - i.e. "they didn't get the rebounding sister." So if KLS and NC and GW are your 3/4/5 then you are "playing small."

Same here- please don't take my comments the wrong way. I don't mean it to be. -- Thanks blair!!!!

Reaction Score
Well said…BroadwayVa

Some interesting stats from her freshmen year at Georgetown….

2013-14 --- Big East Freshmen of the year.
Category ------------------National Ranking------Big East Ranking
Rebounds (13.3pg) -----5th-----1st Fresh---------1st---1st Fresh
Double Doubles (24) -- 9th-----1st Fresh---------1st---1st Fresh
Blocks (1.84pg) --------- 55th---8th Fresh---------2nd--1st Fresh
Field-Goal % (49.1) ---- 78th --5th Fresh---------3rd--1st Fresh

Hoophuskee…please don't take offense on my comments…I’m not on yours.
That is what makes the boneyard so great…we can agree to disagree.

I am in agreement with BroadwaysVa post. I could not have said it better…

Just to add…
My projection is based off what she did at Georgetown, not last year…I’m also, not saying we will see those type of numbers either…different team/different environment.

IMO...Now that she is getting the best coaching / training…Something, that lacked in Georgetown. I see her doing well above then expected...let's pray she stays healthy, comes into this season, in shape with confidence…the sky’s is the limit for her.

Something that my coach taught me “You don’t need to be flashy to be a good team player…sometimes it’s the work away from the ball that brings in championships”.

Thanks-- and for what you say- what is wrong with Will Crockett? She wasn't flashy. and we won because of her effort. If I were to see her - she'd deserve a big hug from me!! Wasn't she outstanding vs Texas? Unreal for someone that worked away from the ball and her defense on their post.

Reaction Score
Yes she had an the injury - but all year she couldn't get better? I don't know how much her injury bothered her in February, do you? If so can you provide the links in which it states her injury was still bothering her going after rebounds in Febraury? The excuse I was referring in terms of the injury was that it festered into the entire year and she didn't look like a rebounder even in February. I heard at GTOWN she was a tenacious offensive rebounder. I didn't see that - at all.

So I said "maybe" the injury plagued her THROUGHOUT the year. I did say "maybe" the injury plagued her THROUGHOUT the year. I did say "maybe" the injury plagued her THROUGHOUT the year. I did say "maybe" the injury plagued her THROUGHOUT the year.
Further, I said I'm not going to predict big things from her. I have no reason to do so because I'm skeptical how long that injury bothered her. I said I'm "skeptical." I didn't say I'm "definite." I hope no one clobbers me for that.

And it's okay if we agree to disagree-- that's okay, right? And if I called NB "maybe a Will Corckett" is that so bad? We don't win a title without Will Crockett.

And third, more to the point of agree to disagree- do I really need to explain "if we play small" what lineup it is? You mean you couldn't understand KLS/NC/GW/KN and Cd or Chong is the lineup whenever ANYONE references they want UCONN to play small? And please I hope if anyone replies that they don't come back with KLS "isn't small." She's tall but she "plays small." I expect all of us fans that follow UCONN a lot know of this along with the Geno and CD comments that KLS doesn't rebound like her sister(s) - i.e. "they didn't get the rebounding sister." So if KLS and NC and GW are your 3/4/5 then you are "playing small."

Same here- please don't take my comments the wrong way. I don't mean it to be. -- Thanks blair!!!!

Reaction Score
It all depends on who steps up: My best day as a UCONN fan: Maria Conlon, a designated shooter who wouldn't shoot, plays almost the entire victorious NC game as PG with zero turnovers.

Reaction Score
Im not sure why you are so agitated. The bit about the SMALL team was a joke.

Geno said about Katie Lou---I got the best Samuelson Sister. Maybe early in the season she wasn't great--so he motivated her with your sister comment--he does that. But at seasons end, he wasn't saying that any longer.

I don't take your comment in any way negative. I find them a bit protective--as with someone who has strong views.

Agree or dis agree. The Boneyard does not have rules against either. OPINION's are just OPINION's --none of us has a Crystal ball so we'll all look and see what comes--and I shall enjoy it.

If Katie lou, Napeesa, Gabby are playing SMALL--then what team plays big--by adding Butler?? Except for Butler--it looks like you are saying the team is small? KLS 6--3, Gabby 5-11, Collier 6'1 (or)2, add Kyla at 6'2 that's all there is in height --there ain't no more.
Most of the teams (I said most not all) Uconn faces this year the biggest player they will go against is 6-3 or less. Turner --6-3 or 4
Wilson 6/3---Baylor a 6'6' or more none over that (that's enough),

Neither one of us knows for sure how long Natalie's injury bothered her--physically or mentally--as you pointed out it was obvious she was not meeting her former GT numbers--so my assumption (opinion) was that something bothered her. She will never be a Stewie, or Tuck or maybe not a Steff--if she comes close to her GT numbers she'll be great for UC.

The bit about Geno saying KLS wasn't the rebounding sister--I don't remember hearing or reading that---if you know where I can see that--I'd appreciate having a look at it.

Also, I am very high on expectations fof Katie Lou she showed me great progress and abilities at the end of the past season--until HER injury. I have similar expectations for the rest of the team .

Opinions are just opinions ---if what you write isn't correct--the hangman won't come calling. Opinions are for FUN--you don't make any money here if you state your opinion strongly or are wrong.

Enjoy this--I do. THANKS BLAIR!!!

Reaction Score

I get it---you are skeptical!
Willnet was ok, not great. I prefer to compare Butler to Steff as a Frosh.
No one will clobber you--
Maybe is understood as maybe--that is what an OPINION says--maybe they will be this or that.

No issues here--keep on keeping on.. I really don't see us disagreeing---

Reaction Score
First, they have to be able to defend competently.... second they have to know their role within the team defensive scheme ..... third they have to understand how to move within team offensive schemes and be aggressive.

Coach values team defense above all else.

How would you rank the player defensively? Nurse, Williams, Collier, Chong, Lou, Butler
How would you rank the player offensively? Chong, Lou, Nurse, Williams, Collier, Butler

So. until Coach actually shows us what kind of offense he will run this year, and the returning players display their improvements over the summer, and the freshmen prove their skills and pick up the schemes; I think the starting five is obvious.... BUT as always whether they start or come off the bench I don;t think it really says much. I think Collier and Butler will get equal minutes.

Reaction Score
Remember, Baylor, SC, and Texas will have better teams this season. Past performances will probably not apply to this season's teams.

There is a constant--the coaching staff along with Gabby, Napheesa, Katie Lou, Chong, Kia, Butler ---if you look back on Geno's teams since 2000 the numbers stand up---
I have concerns about the teams you point out--they are improved and BIG. Texas came at UC in the NCAA;s (one season removed) and they were touted as BIG and Talented--I think Uconn beat that team by 50, again this past NCAA touted as Big and Talented--UC only beat them by a bit less than 20 (going from memory no stats here)--
It has been written that : Past performance is an indicator of future actions. (I read that in a chinese cookie)
If you tell me the bridge is falling---that bridge is great to ME until I walk across it and it fails. --Until Uconn fails to meet past performances I look upon them as Uconn of old. It cost me nothing to be a believer even if they don't meet my expectations..

Reaction Score
First, they have to be able to defend competently.... second they have to know their role within the team defensive scheme ..... third they have to understand how to move within team offensive schemes and be aggressive.

Coach values team defense above all else.

How would you rank the player defensively? Nurse, Williams, Collier, Chong, Lou, Butler
How would you rank the player offensively? Chong, Lou, Nurse, Williams, Collier, Butler

So. until Coach actually shows us what kind of offense he will run this year, and the returning players display their improvements over the summer, and the freshmen prove their skills and pick up the schemes; I think the starting five is obvious.... BUT as always whether they start or come off the bench I don;t think it really says much. I think Collier and Butler will get equal minutes.

Not much to disagree with--and a trueism---DEFENSE IS the key to success for UConn--that and conditioning.
Gabby and Collier shall be played together---If Chong is not any better than last year--a Frosh may take her spot, her asset is her experience and knowing the UConn offense and defense --if her health is the same, she'll do a lot of sitting.

Rank Defensively----Nurse, Williams, Katie Lou/Collier, Butler, Chong
Rank Offensively---Katiel Lou, Collier, Kia, Williams, Chong (if she reverts to HS standards put her at 3)

Reaction Score
--none of us has a Crystal ball so we'll all look and see what comes--and I shall enjoy it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that when MW finally picks a school, there's going be a large number of "u shouldda known", "didn't cha know", "knewit's".... ;-)

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
UCONN's offense will not be the problem this year.. (80+ points per game)
Geno stop relying on Individuals to carry his offense all the way back from the days of Charde Houston..
Layups off of the defense and running the offense to create wide open jump shots, is signature UCONN ball.. That wont change..

He had Moriah the last four years who was known in HS for being able to take anyone off the dribble and score, how many times did he rely on or encourage her to do that in her four years there? Those skills were mostly used to break the press.. So UCONN fans need to stop looking at individual players and numbers, Their scoring will always be dictated by what the other team chooses to do on defense, Who they leave open for the shot etc.. Everyone returning have the ability to hit an open shot and make a layup, so I'm not worried about their offense at all..

Lets see how well these players play defense as a team and individually.. That will be the bread and butter of this and every UCONN team, this is why Geno feels comfortable going after players like Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin players that bring effort and shows a high BB IQ, in other words team players..

Reaction Score
I have a sneaking suspicion that when MW finally picks a school, there's going be a large number of "u shouldda known", "didn't cha know", "knewit's".... ;-)

I doubt that seriously---If Walker chooses any place other than Uconn --Every UC supporter on the Boneyard shall feel terribly sorry for her. Most are of the opinion of : WHAT WE DON'T GET WE DON'T MISS

Reaction Score
Thanks-- and for what you say- what is wrong with Will Crockett? She wasn't flashy. and we won because of her effort. If I were to see her - she'd deserve a big hug from me!! Wasn't she outstanding vs Texas? Unreal for someone that worked away from the ball and her defense on their post.
If Willnet played like that all the time. She could have been an AA IMO.

Reaction Score
South Carolina picks up alot more offense on the perimeter with the addition of Kaela Davis and Alisha Gray. Both players are upgrades when compared to what they lose.
Neither of them better than Mitchell on offense and definately not on defense. Sessions also better on D.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Actually that was CD who came up with the gem. Lou did ok with 5, but Karlie had 12 boards. I'm sure that Geno and CD will be reminding Lou to hit the boards this year, given that Morgan and Stewie are gone.

Reaction Score
Im not sure why you are so agitated. The bit about the SMALL team was a joke.

Geno said about Katie Lou---I got the best Samuelson Sister. Maybe early in the season she wasn't great--so he motivated her with your sister comment--he does that. But at seasons end, he wasn't saying that any longer.

I don't take your comment in any way negative. I find them a bit protective--as with someone who has strong views.

Agree or dis agree. The Boneyard does not have rules against either. OPINION's are just OPINION's --none of us has a Crystal ball so we'll all look and see what comes--and I shall enjoy it.

If Katie lou, Napeesa, Gabby are playing SMALL--then what team plays big--by adding Butler?? Except for Butler--it looks like you are saying the team is small? KLS 6--3, Gabby 5-11, Collier 6'1 (or)2, add Kyla at 6'2 that's all there is in height --there ain't no more.
Most of the teams (I said most not all) Uconn faces this year the biggest player they will go against is 6-3 or less. Turner --6-3 or 4
Wilson 6/3---Baylor a 6'6' or more none over that (that's enough),

Neither one of us knows for sure how long Natalie's injury bothered her--physically or mentally--as you pointed out it was obvious she was not meeting her former GT numbers--so my assumption (opinion) was that something bothered her. She will never be a Stewie, or Tuck or maybe not a Steff--if she comes close to her GT numbers she'll be great for UC.

The bit about Geno saying KLS wasn't the rebounding sister--I don't remember hearing or reading that---if you know where I can see that--I'd appreciate having a look at it.

Also, I am very high on expectations fof Katie Lou she showed me great progress and abilities at the end of the past season--until HER injury. I have similar expectations for the rest of the team .

Opinions are just opinions ---if what you write isn't correct--the hangman won't come calling. Opinions are for FUN--you don't make any money here if you state your opinion strongly or are wrong.

Enjoy this--I do. THANKS BLAIR!!!

I thought you were non-insulting but aggravated with me for criticizing NB. It's hard to tell when someone is joking. Anyhow below is the the link in which Chris Dailey says "we didn't get the rebounding Samuelson." It's near the bottom. Further, if someone can provide a postgame -- you'll see Geno and CD talk about her- CD mentions that they didn't get the rebounder and then I specifically remember Geno say "No. . . We did not."

The Geno quote is not there but the CD is. This is the 2/27 game - so you can see even at the end of the year they were harping on her rebounding because she is soft. There is a reason why the coaches spoke of her rebounding because it was.

UConn, Samuelson To Take On USF

My expectation of NB has diminished. Simple as that. I hope you, Blair and others are right. We could use a very good big. And I just want to reiterate for anyone else that read- I'm not saying NB stinks. And frankly - if NB is Will Crockett - defense and rebound - imo that would be terrific for this team.

And I'm with you on KLS. I think she is an all-american candidate. I believe she has a feel for the game like Larry Bird. Just hoping she can remain healthy throughout her career. I think we're an E8 team if healthy with possibility of more depending on the E8 game matchup and potentially other games matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom