Husky history - from one who was there | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Husky history - from one who was there

Reaction Score
I was at the Duke/Uconn game at the Meadowlands. My seats were high but I had great angle on the sideline. First, Tate George knocks the ball out of bounds giving Duke the ball. Laetner throws the ball in, and I am thinking, who is guarding Laetner....the rest is history.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The truly amazing part of that season is that nothing in our play in December gave any clue that, come January, we’d be one of the best teams in the country. Without looking it up, I remember a loss to a really ordinary Texas Aggies in Alaska, a bad home loss to a really ordinary ‘Nova and being destroyed (like every year) at St. John’s. But then when the light bulb went on —- just wow.
I'm not sure I can agree with that. They beat the Russian Nation Team that preseason and was one of only two schools to do so. Their coach said they were the best team they played on the tour that included the loaded UNLV. It was a rip-roaring game, I though it was just glasnost at the time. They went 9-2 to start the year with wins against Auburn, FSU, Maryland, Missisippi State and St. Joe's. The famous boos came because they were playing so incredibly bad after looking so good previously.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No one guarded him on the inbounds and that was the issue….,he got the ball back too easily and the help came too late.
The reason nobody guarded the inbounds was because Lyman was helping out on the lob to Abdelnaby. Rod couldn't do it alone because he couldn't jump. The dunk was Duke's Plan A. UConn took that away and Plan B was a double-clutching jumper from the elbow. The guy made a play.

Reaction Score
Every once in a while I go on to UConnHuskygames.com and watch games from 1989-90. That team had so much heart and was the best defensive team I have ever seen and I have been watching college hoops since the early 60’s. Thank you Smitty.
Yup enjoyed watching that team in person all season. Nadev high basketball IQ lead to many steals that year. What a fun team to watch.

Reaction Score
The January 20th, 1990 Georgetown game at the HCC still ranks at the top of all the live events I have ever witnessed. I often see people mention the Syracuse game from the Monday 5 days earlier in the same sentence/paragraph. I was at both games, one in the stands ('Cuse) and the other (G'town) on the floor doing color on WHUS. And I can unequivocally state that the electricity in the building at the Georgetown game was of an order of magnitude greater than anything I had ever felt, even for the Syracuse game 5 days earlier. At 12-0 when John Thompson called his 2nd TO you could not even hear yourself think. John Tuite and I looked at each other in utter amazement. And as others have pointed out in previous threads on this very topic (Matrim, Mau, etc...) it got even louder in the waning minutes as we salted the game away.
The biggest reason why was simple... we had beaten Syracuse several times over the previous few years, and it was already a widely-held belief that you could beat Boeheim's teams because they tended to be a bit too loose at times. But beating the big, bad Hoyas and John Thompson was a totally different animal. They had tortured us for years, and even when we got close a couple of times (who could forget the game in January 1988 of the 1987-1988 at the Capital Centre where Alonzo literally shoved Tate George into the stanchion under the hoop with less than a minute to play and then got a gimme putback with no call by the obviously-blind baseline ref) we almost always lost to them.
And of course beating them on that Saturday night in 1990 kept them from assuming the #1 ranking that was theirs for the taking after Kansas lost earlier in the day. That game was the true mark of when you could really feel something truly magical starting to happen with that team... and, as it turns out, for the program as a whole.

Reaction Score
The January 20th, 1990 Georgetown game at the HCC still ranks at the top of all the live events I have ever witnessed. I often see people mention the Syracuse game from the Monday 5 days earlier in the same sentence/paragraph. I was at both games, one in the stands ('Cuse) and the other (G'town) on the floor doing color on WHUS. And I can unequivocally state that the electricity in the building at the Georgetown game was of an order of magnitude greater than anything I had ever felt, even for the Syracuse game 5 days earlier. At 12-0 when John Thompson called his 2nd TO you could not even hear yourself think. John Tuite and I looked at each other in utter amazement. And as others have pointed out in previous threads on this very topic (Matrim, Mau, etc...) it got even louder in the waning minutes as we salted the game away.
The biggest reason why was simple... we had beaten Syracuse several times over the previous few years, and it was already a widely-held belief that you could beat Boeheim's teams because they tended to be a bit too loose at times. But beating the big, bad Hoyas and John Thompson was a totally different animal. They had tortured us for years, and even when we got close a couple of times (who could forget the game in January 1988 of the 1987-1988 at the Capital Centre where Alonzo literally shoved Tate George into the stanchion under the hoop with less than a minute to play and then got a gimme putback with no call by the obviously-blind baseline ref) we almost always lost to them.
And of course beating them on that Saturday night in 1990 kept them from assuming the #1 ranking that was theirs for the taking after Kansas lost earlier in the day. That game was the true mark of when you could really feel something truly magical starting to happen with that team... and, as it turns out, for the program as a whole.
I agree that the Georgetown game was more important than the Syracuse game. Back in those days Georgetown used to press but finally UConn was doing the pressing and doing it very well. Georgetown used to seem so intimidating especially with Big John with his while towel on the sidelines. This game took them down a few notches.

Reaction Score
The truly amazing part of that season is that nothing in our play in December gave any clue that, come January, we’d be one of the best teams in the country. Without looking it up, I remember a loss to a really ordinary Texas Aggies in Alaska, a bad home loss to a really ordinary ‘Nova and being destroyed (like every year) at St. John’s. But then when the light bulb went on —- just wow.

It was Nadav... If my memory serves correct, he did not get a ton of run early in the season. Once he became a starter 10 games in, he changed the way we played offensively and defensively. He could absolutely dominate a game without putting up big stats. Hockey assists, tips on boards, playing the passing lanes, etc. None of that stuff amounts to numbers that truly indicate his effect.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It was Nadav... If my memory serves correct, he did not get a ton of run early in the season. Once he became a starter 10 games in, he changed the way we played offensively and defensively. He could absolutely dominate a game without putting up big stats. Hockey assists, tips on boards, playing the passing lanes, etc. None of that stuff amounts to numbers that truly indicate his effect.
And he just appeared out of nowhere and then the next season was gone. It was just a great story.

My favorite Nadav memory didn't involve anything on the court. At one point during Huskymania a middle-aged woman comes up to Nadav and shoves her daughter towards him saying "Here take my daughter and if you don't want her take me."

I tried to find that article but couldn't quickly. I did find this one, though. It made me smile.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hear you that GTown was bigger, but I really look at both games together. Beating them both in a matter of days, and getting to see it in person at the Civic Center was truly special.

Reaction Score
And he just appeared out of nowhere and then the next season was gone. It was just a great story.

My favorite Nadav memory didn't involve anything on the court. At one point during Huskymania a middle-aged woman comes up to Nadav and shoves her daughter towards him saying "Here take my daughter and if you don't want her take me."

I tried to find that article but couldn't quickly. I did find this one, though. It made me smile.
I couldn't post the whole article as it was too big, but here you go.

Attachments

• Nadav.jpg
    Nadav.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 53

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member