Husky history - from one who was there | The Boneyard

Husky history - from one who was there

Reaction Score
Every once in a while I go on to UConnHuskygames.com and watch games from 1989-90. That team had so much heart and was the best defensive team I have ever seen and I have been watching college hoops since the early 60’s. Thank you Smitty.

Reaction Score
671556762.447089.jpeg

Reaction Score
The truly amazing part of that season is that nothing in our play in December gave any clue that, come January, we’d be one of the best teams in the country. Without looking it up, I remember a loss to a really ordinary Texas Aggies in Alaska, a bad home loss to a really ordinary ‘Nova and being destroyed (like every year) at St. John’s. But then when the light bulb went on —- just wow.

Reaction Score
What I remember most about that season was beating Syracuse and Georgetown at home. That is when I realized how good their defense and press could be. The Civic Center was electric during those games. I was also fortunate to have tickets to the first and second round games in Hartford as I had bought them before even knowing that UConn would be playing there. Of course, that can no longer happen.

I was also using the facilities at the same time as Henefeld at the Field House during warmups. UConn would open up Gampel shortly after that which was a huge improvement for the players and fans.

Reaction Score
The truly amazing part of that season is that nothing in our play in December gave any clue that, come January, we’d be one of the best teams in the country. Without looking it up, I remember a loss to a really ordinary Texas Aggies in Alaska, a bad home loss to a really ordinary ‘Nova and being destroyed (like every year) at St. John’s. But then when the light bulb went on —- just wow.
I was there and remember them getting booed off the court after the first half against Nova. I think we were down like 35-16 or something like that. Absolutely zero indication of what was to come.

Reaction Score
I have a lot of these games on VHS tapes. I need to get them digitized or maybe buy an old VCR/DVD combo recorder and convert them myself.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Best pressing team in UConn history. They were so fun to watch. It’s late it’s Tate it’s great. Then Duke broke our hearts….. it is destiny that we have returned the favor three fold!

Reaction Score
Converted all mine
People actually do this?? I give you credit. I always thought it was one of those pipedream "todo list" things: like when you and your drunk friends discuss opening that bar together..."I got a little cash stashed away...we'll split the work/profits 6 way...(hiccup)..."

Reaction Score
People actually do this?? I give you credit. I always thought it was one of those pipedream "todo list" things: like when you and your drunk friends discuss opening that bar together..."I got a little cash stashed away...we'll split the work/profits 6 way...(hiccup)..."
Converted all family photos, home movies back to the 40's from my dad's stuff. Have video of UConn frat stuff from the early 50's when my Dad was there. Did it over the winter during basketball season when I had games other than UConn on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom