Husky fever - it's spreading | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Husky fever - it's spreading

Reaction Score
I lived in Fort Myers from 10-15, our program always got respect from knowledgeable fans down there. Enjoy Naples, I’ll be in Marco Island next week.

I recently moved to Florida. I was at Merritt Island DMV the other day and someone's desk had UConn memorabilia (mini megaphone). It might have been someone from Middletown CT who I spoke to on a previous visit. I had a conversation with a young 7-11 cashier about the basketball team after the baseball game in Port St. Lucie last weekend as well. Fans are everywhere.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I work at a pizza place in Richmond, VA and have seen multiple customers repping UConn.
What place? I'm from Richmond and might've been one of them lol

Reaction Score
They call that activity level drop in middle age "The kid dip".

Reaction Score
When I lived in CT., the impression I got was many of the women's fans I came across were old men who were strictly women's fans and didn't really support the men's team or watch basketball outside of the UConn women. I remember during one of the undefeated women's team historic runs and a year where the men's team was down I got a really bad taste in my mouth from many of the women's fans I encountered...

I stopped going to my barber because he would talk about how the women's team would beat the men's team and that the men's team was a bunch of criminal (insert racist name here.) One night I heard a bar full of old guys talk about how the men didn't know how to play the game and the women could beat them, this conversation was also tinged with racism.

I''m sure this is a fairly small element of the fanbase but it sadly was an element.

Guess those "devoted, diehard womens' fans" never read Rebecca Lobo's commentary about that theory that the women could beat the men. She rebuked it and may have even said the women probably couldn't get a shot off because of the size, speed, and athletic ability of the men.
I'm an all sports UConn fan and one-time season ticket holder in football and both basketball programs (retired now about 1000 miles away but bought men's season tickets this year to go to several games when visiting aaaannnndddd to keep my iron in the fire in case we move closer and want to have a shot at the better seats). Never could understand this internal competition among the fans of those three sports that seems to rise among the women's fans to a level where they have to denigrate the men's program or football.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of elderly people can’t withstand the excitement of close, competitive games. Given whatever health affliction they have, they enjoy games where you win by 30-50 points. It’s better for the blood pressure, etc. over the years UConn WBB has had a great many games in that range.

Wasn't the theory about the number of women's fans and season ticket holders exploding because people couldn't get men's tickets in the early 90's so they went to women's games?
Plus, Rizzotti with her cute, bouncy, pony tail and some of the others like Lobo, Berube, etc. probably looked more like their grandchildren than the men did. You can call them names but most people from all walks of life tend to like what they know. It's called human nature and there's too much analysis today looking for other reasons. It's changing slowly but still there.

Reaction Score
Another element is the women are almost exclusively 4 year players. They all grow up before your eyes.

Reaction Score
I work at a pizza place in Richmond, VA and have seen multiple customers repping UConn.
Saw Husky alum spectating at a 5 mile turkey trot in Alexandria, VA I was running in some years back. I've also seen some (and met some) Whalers fans in the area and have seen the green W at Caps games. Always good to see Huskies around town, wherever they are.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom