Husky fever - it's spreading | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Husky fever - it's spreading

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
When I lived in CT., the impression I got was many of the women's fans I came across were old men who were strictly women's fans and didn't really support the men's team or watch basketball outside of the UConn women. I remember during one of the undefeated women's team historic runs and a year where the men's team was down I got a really bad taste in my mouth from many of the women's fans I encountered...

I stopped going to my barber because he would talk about how the women's team would beat the men's team and that the men's team was a bunch of criminal (insert racist name here.) One night I heard a bar full of old guys talk about how the men didn't know how to play the game and the women could beat them, this conversation was also tinged with racism.

I''m sure this is a fairly small element of the fanbase but it sadly was an element.
It’s a very small element. Most UConn people I know who have been around the block a few times were UConn men’s fans before there was a women’s team. And pretty much supported all the sports teams even if they had no idea how the polo team was doing (they were among the best for a while). Yeah, 30 plus point wins aren’t that exciting, but the way they tend to execute to get those big totals can be pretty impressive.

Anyone who thinks our best woman’s team on its best day could beat our worst men’s team on its worst day is clueless. Im pretty sure they would have a tough time against a big number of men’s hs teams. But UConn’s women are darn good at what they do and they’ve had a few players who would fit in okay at some level of men’s college ball. I don’t know that their fundamentals are better our worse, but the self congratulatory part isn’t a huge part of what they do.

Reaction Score
Is this a form of coronavirus? Does it require wearing a mask?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
To generalize the behavior of all members of a category whether it be gender, race, nationality or age is the definition of discrimination. I feel it's important to resist falling into the trap of our emotional biases and reflect and attempt to change if we have.

There are people who genuinely can't deal with losing. That applies to men's as well as women's fans. Very few in that group will ever admit to it. It's not perceived as an admirable trait. However there are multiple alternative explanations for this behavior, some of which are indeed admirable. We can guess at people's underlying motivation, and even probe it. But in the end grace is the most noble thing any of us can employ.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s a very small element. Most UConn people I know who have been around the block a few times were UConn men’s fans before there was a women’s team. And pretty much supported all the sports teams even if they had no idea how the polo team was doing (they were among the best for a while). Yeah, 30 plus point wins aren’t that exciting, but the way they tend to execute to get those big totals can be pretty impressive.

Anyone who thinks our best woman’s team on its best day could beat our worst men’s team on its worst day is clueless. Im pretty sure they would have a tough time against a big number of men’s hs teams. But UConn’s women are darn good at what they do and they’ve had a few players who would fit in okay at some level of men’s college ball. I don’t know that their fundamentals are better our worse, but the self congratulatory part isn’t a huge part of what they do.
Several years ago the Courant did s poll on who would win - the men or the women and I believe the majority said the women. Auriemma was a voice of reason. He said they are nuts, if the men wanted the score to be 1200 - 0 , it would be 1200 - 0.

Reaction Score
So I live in Waterbury Vt and after the game I go the gas station and as I am pumping there is a guy in the island next to me wearing a UConn hat, I yell over "how about them Huskies" and he responds with "oh yeah". Turns out he watched the game as well and was pretty darn excited. This is 250 miles away from Storrs and 15 minutes after the game. I know Dan Hurley loves the fans but he has not seen anything yet. Man I wish I could go to the conference tournament, we would dominate the place.

I wish I could too! I am 4 hours from Fort Worth but there is no way to get off work. :(

Reaction Score
Speaking of “Husky fever” FS1 devoted a whole session on its pregame show today to discuss the 2020 UConn recruiting class.
Summary of what was said?

Reaction Score
To generalize the behavior of all members of a category whether it be gender, race, nationality or age is the definition of discrimination. I feel it's important to resist falling into the trap of our emotional biases and reflect and attempt to change if we have.

There are people who genuinely can't deal with losing. That applies to men's as well as women's fans. Very few in that group will ever admit to it. It's not perceived as an admirable trait. However there are multiple alternative explanations for this behavior, some of which are indeed admirable. We can guess at people's underlying motivation, and even probe it. But in the end grace is the most noble thing any of us can employ.
I don't understand this post. Are you saying I generalized the behavior of all members of a category based on...?

I hope not because that's clearly not what I did or have ever done.

Reaction Score
My dad supported the women really only because my mom did. He was into baseball football and golf. He just went along for the ride.

Reaction Score
It's crazy, I had an elderly patient the other day come in decked out in UConn gear. I was fitting him for diabetic shoes and I said something like, man that Dan Hurley is building a monster in Storrs, and he defiantly and proudly boasted "I watch the women JUST THE WOMEN."

Could have been my father - proof that age does not equal wisdom.

Reaction Score
I will take women's basketball serious when they put the women's weights on the roster.

Seriously, weight tells you a lot about player. 6-5, 175 and 6-5, 220 are two different players. It's not polite to reveal a woman's weight? What is this 1950? Are you an athlete or Harriet Nelson?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't understand this post. Are you saying I generalized the behavior of all members of a category based on...?

I hope not because that's clearly not what I did or have ever done.
Sorry. Did not intend to quote you. Edited the reference from the post. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to fix it.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly the women should be playing the game with the same size basketball. The women can beat the men guys would need to start there.

Reaction Score
Husky fans spotted in Naples, Florida tonight!!
I lived in Fort Myers from 10-15, our program always got respect from knowledgeable fans down there. Enjoy Naples, I’ll be in Marco Island next week.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Could bother me less which team anyone follows. I only watch the men. I favor the UConn women over any other ncaawb team

C

Chief00

So I live in Waterbury Vt and after the game I go the gas station and as I am pumping there is a guy in the island next to me wearing a UConn hat, I yell over "how about them Huskies" and he responds with "oh yeah". Turns out he watched the game as well and was pretty darn excited. This is 250 miles away from Storrs and 15 minutes after the game. I know Dan Hurley loves the fans but he has not seen anything yet. Man I wish I could go to the conference tournament, we would dominate the place.
It makes the #24/7Grind all worth it!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Men are by far and away the team my wife and I most enjoy watching. But we’ve been fans of the women’s team since 1994.

I don’t feel threatened or jealous by their success and the national recognition they have. As a UConn alum I’m proud to hear people from other regions express their interest in the team. It’s great PR for the university. A great example was Kobe.

Not threatened by age jokes. This old geaser loved Palatine’s joke. And yes there are fans of the women’s team who don’t watch the men’s game who try to save face by dissing the men’s type of play. It’s just as weak as the men’s fans who diss the women’s game because they hate the attention it gets.

Men
A539973D-8E98-4A47-8B79-427869D6A237.jpeg

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Men are by far and away the team my wife and I most enjoy watching. But we’ve been fans of the women’s team since 1994.

I don’t feel threatened or jealous by their success and the national recognition they have. As a UConn alum I’m proud to hear people from other regions express their interest in the team. It’s great PR for the university. A great example was Kobe.

Not threatened by age jokes. This old geaser loved Palatine’s joke. And yes there are fans of the women’s team who don’t watch the men’s game who try to save face by dissing the men’s type of play. It’s just as weak as the men’s fans who diss the women’s game because they hate the attention it gets.

Women

075FFF79-E9D0-4FB3-A39D-194AA0C513BA.jpeg

C

Chief00

I think a lot of elderly people can’t withstand the excitement of close, competitive games. Given whatever health affliction they have, they enjoy games where you win by 30-50 points. It’s better for the blood pressure, etc. over the years UConn WBB has had a great many games in that range.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom