Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Bracket:
35hnw9w.jpg

Teams:
13ymrdz.jpg

Here's how its going to work you animals. Two matchups per day, so this will last a week. You'll be able to vote for 2 teams, PLEASE DON'T BE A SYRACUSE LOVING D***K AND VOTE FOR THE SAME MATCHUP TWICE. We're not 15 years old here, sorry 3.

First matchup:

@jfuchs91 vs. @NYC_HUSKY22

@HuskyFich vs. @JimOllie

ALSO: Each voting session will last 6 hours. So I'll update a matchup at 5am and another one at 5pm. My time is limited so this is the only way to make it quick.

Reaction Score
jfuchs91's Starting Lineup
Name (Height - UConn career season highs)

Ben Gordon (6’3” - 19.5 PPG, 4.7 APG, 4.7 RPG, 1.4 SPG 43% 3PT)

Ray Allen (6’5” - 23.4 PPG, 3.3 APG, 6.8 RPG, 1.9 SPG, 47% 3PT)

Scott Burrell (6’7” - 16.3 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 3.1 APG, 3.6 SPG, 1.3 BPG, 40% 3PT)

Charlie Villanueva (6’11” - 13.6 PPG, 8.3 RPG, 1.8 BPG, 1.3 APG 39% career 3PT)

Amida Brimah (7’ - 9.1 PPG, 3.5 BPG, 67.4% FG, highest single season and career FG% in UConn history)

As the game of basketball has evolved, two factors have become increasingly important to winning games: spacing the floor on offense and protecting the rim on defense. My team possesses some of the best shooters in UConn history (and Ray Allen, the best shooter in basketball history) and elite rim protection. This lineup is full of versatile athletes, and has NBA size (and all players played at least 8 NBA seasons - including three top-7 picks, showing they were truly elite basketball players - Brimah excluded, but the NBA is in his future as well).

OFFENSE
As UConn fans, we understand the importance of guard play in college ball, and no other team can match my tandem of guards. Gordon and Allen are two of the most explosive scorers to ever don a UConn jersey. While neither is a true "lead" guard, both Gordon and Allen can handle playmaking duties as combo guards. Gordon averaged over 4 APG in his UConn career, and Allen was so much more than a shooter in his younger days. Both guys were very good slashers and could make plays off the bounce. Additionally, both Gordon and Allen are end-of-shotclock guys, where they can bail you out by creating their own shot. My backcourt has two of the best scorers (and overall players) in UConn history, and they set the table for the rest of the team.

What sets my offense apart from others is the unbelievable shooters and spacing. I have four legitimate 3-point threats, including some of the best ever at UConn. Ray Allen is arguably the best shooter in basketball history, Ben Gordon shot 42% from three on 5.5 attempts per game in his career, Villanueva at the PF spot shot 39% in his career at UConn and is one of the most prolific big man shooters in the NBA right now, and Scotty Burrell shot 36% at UConn, 37% from 3 in 8 seasons in the NBA, and even participated in an NBA 3-Point contest. My team is loaded with lethal shooters at four positions. Look at what Golden State was able to do in the NBA with their plethora of knockdown shooters. My team mimics that spacing, and has some of the best shot-makers in UConn history (Gordon and Allen are my Husky Splash Bros). And while Brimah won’t be relied upon to create his own offense, his 66.2% FG% is the highest in UConn history. With all the spacing on the offensive end, Brimah can easily finish lobs and dunk dump-off passes. This team will be an efficient machine on the offensive end.

DEEFNSE
All UConn championship teams excel on the defensive end, and my team is a strong defensive unit. People ballyhoo about Brimah, but he’s an elite shot-blocker. We’ve been the top shot-blocking program over the years, and Brimah is a top 3 shotblocker of all the players we’ve had. He can’t rebound, but alters and blocks so many shots around the rim, and deters others from even driving into the lane. In that sense, he’s a true defensive anchor. Brimah’s rebounding deficiencies are made up for by the fact that I have three other players who averaged over 6 RPG in their UConn careers. Charlie V averaged 8.3 RPG, Burrell pulled down 7.5 RPG, and even Ray Ray grabbed 6.8 RPG in his sophomore campaign (he averaged 6 RPG over his 3 years). Brimah will be free to alter every shot, and the team won’t need to worry about rebounding. It's also worth noting that outside of Donyell, Charlie V is the best non-center shotblocker UConn has had (1.7 BPG career), and Burrell chipped in more than a block per game as well. My team defends the paint and rim as well as anyone.

My team is extremely athletic, further shown by all eligible players playing at least eight seasons in the NBA (all first round picks, including 3 of the 6 highest drafted Huskies of All-Time). Not only did my players dominate at UConn, their games all translated into long NBA careers. My team has height, length, mobility, and shot-blocking down low, combined with size and athleticism on the perimeter. Burrell is the best all-around athlete in UConn history and can use his physical tools to act as a true lockdown defender. He averaged as many as 3.6 SPG and 1.3 BPG in his career, and was a terror on the fast break. He could create turnovers and turn them into easy transition points. While Brimah anchors my defense at the rim, Burrell wreaks havoc on the wing. Allen and Gordon were also good perimeter defenders, combining their good size and athleticism with quick hands (as evidenced by their lofty steal totals).

SUMMARY
No team in this field is as versatile, athletic, or skilled offensively as the roster I put together. My team will be an offensive juggernaut with elite spacing and shooting, led by two of our most explosive scorers ever. My defense boasts excellent athleticism and length, and protects the rim at an elite level while also forcing a ton of turnovers. I can win in an up-tempo game, and also in the half court.

And, on top of all of that, if the game is close at the end, my team will come through in the clutch. Need a perfect last second inbounds pass? Scotty Burrell is your man. Need a guard to create his own shot in a clutch situation? Ray Ray and Madison Square Gordon have it covered. Or maybe you need someone to clean up a miss and get a clutch putback? Brimah gives you that and a sweet karate chop. My players are just simply winners; all have won a championship either at the NCAA or NBA level. An All-Time Husky Draft championship is next.

Reaction Score
Let me make the case for my team.
PG- Chris Smith: The highest scorer in UConn history (2145 points). No explanation needed.
SG- Jerome Dyson: Highly underrated shooting guard. Averaged just under 18 PPG his senior year coming off an injury.
SF- Stix Robinson: Freak athlete. Explosive player. Averaged 14.5 points and 7.6 rebounds as a senior.
PF- Donny Marshall: Averaged 15.8 and 5.8 as a senior. All-NCAA Tournament team in '95, averaging 23 PPG.
PF/C- Donyell Marshall: Perhaps the best big man in UConn history (along with Okafor). Averaged a ridiculous 25.1 points and 8.9 rebounds per game as a senior.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I voted j Fuchs and fich - I love j Fuchs' team and shabazz, Drummond and some good bball IQ guys makes fich's team tough to vote against... Jim's team is very good but their playmakers and bigs can't compete, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Comparison of my team vs. HuskyFich
PG: Chris Smith vs. Shabazz Napier: Although Smith is the highest scorer in UConn history, I'll give Shabazz the slight edge.
SG: Jerome Dyson vs. Denham Brown: Both smooth guards, I give the edge to Dyson.
SF: Stix Robinson vs. Daniel Hamilton: Hamilton has a very bright future at UConn but as of right now, Stix has the edge.
PF: Donny Marshall vs. Andre Drummond: Very slight edge to Drummond. Didn't show to much in his 1 year but he was better than he played.
C: Donyell Marshall vs. Toby Kimball: Strong edge to Marshall. Respectable career for Kimball but Donyell was just better.

Reaction Score
I voted j Fuchs and fich - I love j Fuchs' team and shabazz, Drummond and some good bball IQ guys makes fich's team tough to vote against... Jim's team is very good but their playmakers and bigs can't compete, in my opinion.

First of all I respect your opinion. But I think the bigs of Stix, Donny, and Donyell are pretty good. Nobody on Fich's team could stop Donyell.

Reaction Score
Just want to add that I love seeing Niels get drafted in both divisions. One of my all time favorite players even before his freak 3 point shooting senior season.

Reaction Score
I love how everybody forgets the extra n in @tzznandrew 's name. I did the same thing last year.

Shabazz might have had the most decorated career in UConn history...but drafting him #1 was a mistake.

And @jfuchs91 seems to always have players fall into his lap - you shouldn't be able to get Ben Gordon in the second round.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Bracket:
35hnw9w.jpg

Teams:
13ymrdz.jpg

Here's how its going to work you animals. Two matchups per day, so this will last a week. You'll be able to vote for 2 teams, PLEASE DON'T BE A SYRACUSE LOVING D***K AND VOTE FOR THE SAME MATCHUP TWICE. We're not 15 years old here, sorry 3.

First matchup:

@jfuchs91 vs. @NYC_HUSKY22

@HuskyFich vs. @JimOllie

ALSO: Each voting session will last 6 hours. So I'll update a matchup at 5am and another one at 5pm. My time is limited so this is the only way to make it quick.
Really hard to compare with so much extra stuff on the screen. Can you post the 1-5 for each team (as best as you can decide who goes where - or ask them how they have them 1-5). With this thing I have to go back and forth through the draft with lots of other players in between to figure out who goes where.

I think it should look something like this:

Drafter 1: PG name, SG name, SF name, PF Name, C name.
Drafter 2: PG name ....

Just a thought so I don't have to do visual Olympics.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Really hard to compare with so much extra stuff on the screen. Can you post the 1-5 for each team (as best as you can decide who goes where - or ask them how they have them 1-5). With this thing I have to go back and forth through the draft with lots of other players in between to figure out who goes where.

I think it should look something like this:

Drafter 1: PG name, SG name, SF name, PF Name, C name.
Drafter 2: PG name ....

Just a thought so I don't have to do visual Olympics.
I'll change it for the next round, thanks for letting me know.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Just want to add that I love seeing Niels get drafted in both divisions. One of my all time favorite players even before his freak 3 point shooting senior season.
Couldn't believe I could get a player like him with my last pick, me and @tcf15 got a steal!

Reaction Score
I love how everybody forgets the extra n in @tzznandrew 's name. I did the same thing last year.

Shabazz might have had the most decorated career in UConn history...but drafting him #1 was a mistake.

And @jfuchs91 seems to always have players fall into his lap - you shouldn't be able to get Ben Gordon in the second round.
You shouldn't be able to get Ray Allen with the last pick of the first round either. That's freaking insane.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I guess the idea that we're taking only their college careers into account is a tougher issue than I thought...if it was "peak of their ability" I think that's the more natural way my brain sees these guys, but that makes the Donyell/Chris Smith pairing, coupled with Hamilton only having a year of evidence a bit more complicated. Not to mention Drummond...

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
The case for my team:
Emeka Okafor - Anchor of the defense. NPOY and Championship pedigree
Jeff Adrien - Heart of a lion, good rebounder, added muscle to the team
Denham Brown - Great overall player and good scorer. Solidifies my team
Albert Mouring - Excellent shooter and scorer
AJ Price - Battle tested leader and playmaker

Reaction Score
I forfeit. After I missed a couple emails due to vacation the next pick was given to whomever was next, my team does have a snow balls chance in he1l

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Not that it makes a big difference...but i think the teams should be anonymous. No biggie tho

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
100% agree. Next time.
Kind of hard to do - as soon as a couple people start arguing for their squad, it will become apparent pretty quickly who has which team. I suppose you could send your argument in and the operator could post it anonymously, but considering how long it takes some of you to make a pick, we'd be waiting days for your statement. At least the brackets are running quickly - I had forgotten the game was being played during the draft.

And if you don't want a perceived bias, don't be Richard on the board.... just saying.

Reaction Score
Kind of hard to do - as soon as a couple people start arguing for their squad, it will become apparent pretty quickly who has which team. I suppose you could send your argument in and the operator could post it anonymously, but considering how long it takes some of you to make a pick, we'd be waiting days for your statement. At least the brackets are running quickly - I had forgotten the game was being played during the draft.

And if you don't want a perceived bias, don't be Richard on the board.... just saying.

Agree but some people on here who aren't as well liked as tcf and Fishy, etc. are at a disadvantage.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Agree but some people on here who aren't as well liked as tcf and Fishy, etc. are at a disadvantage.
You might find that folks would boot Fishy in the first round just for fun no matter how good his team was. TCF on the other hand should never be allowed to play social game on the yard. That guy may not walk on water, but it's apparent that he knows where the stones are.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Jeremy Lamb went before Boatright in both drafts?

Albert Mouring before Ricky Moore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky