Huskies Reorg and Next Year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Huskies Reorg and Next Year

Reaction Score
It's not acceptable. Kevin Ollie knows that as well as anyone. What is you solution? Complain all you want but what do you propose? If it's firing Ollie, are you funding the many millions for that? Because UConn doesn't have the money. Then who are you hiring that is a clear and obvious upgrade? Because there are probably only a handful of guys who would be and none of them are coming here. You might get lucky and find the next Gregg Marshall, or you might find a guy who is awful. I am critical of Ollie because I think he needed to make changes in his staff and approach. But firing him would be insane.

Ollie has changed a key coach, brought in a great recruiter and may have changed the strength coach. Two players are gone. Others may decide to come to Storrs. We have no idea what else he plans to change in his approach, game planning, or anything else.
I don't have a solution. But I also don't get paid $3 million/year to figure it out either. I don't think we should fire Ollie. That's never been part of anything I've posted. But the program should understand they don't get a pass for 2-3 years just because changes were just made this offseason.

Being critical of the KO/team critiques is getting a little old. In good times, the team receives the love and adoration of an entire state and fanbase. People spend hard earned money and devote countless hours to show their support. KO is awarded contract extensions and gets paid millions. The state throws parades and pep rallies.

And when things go sour, we're allowed to be upset. We're allowed to be critical. We're allowed to vent frustrations - especially on the boneyard. I applaud the blind supporters, I really do. It takes some strength to see the good and remain positive at this point in our history. I just don't have that type of extreme optimism in me.

Reaction Score
Going out in the second round of the NCAA tournament to a team like Kansas. Those of you who say this is unacceptable have crazy unrealistic expectations.

You want UConn in some years to go to a Final 8 or Final 4, but to say anything but that is unacceptable is just crazy.

Look around; get a clue.

Reaction Score
Going out in the second round of the NCAA tournament to a team like Kansas. Those of you who say this is unacceptable have crazy unrealistic expectations.

You want UConn in some years to go to a Final 8 or Final 4, but to say anything but that is unacceptable is just crazy.

Look around; get a clue.
Dude, I don't even know how to respond to that.

Losing that one game to #1 Kansas in the 2nd round - no one has issue with that.

In 3 years, we've been to 1 tournament. So our best season in 3 years is a round of 32 appearance.... that's a problem

If those are your expectations for the program going forward, we'll never see eye to eye

Reaction Score
Dude, I don't even know how to respond to that.

Losing that one game to #1 Kansas in the 2nd round - no one has issue with that.

In 3 years, we've been to 1 tournament. So our best season in 3 years is a round of 32 appearance.... that's a problem

If those are your expectations for the program going forward, we'll never see eye to eye

I expected more of this year. It's been this year that was a disappointment. A conference championship and a 2nd round exit is not unacceptable. It's not what they are shooting for, but it is acceptable. The previous year they had a lot of turnover after the seniors left (after winning a national championship).

You have one year of awfulness. Coaches like, for instance, Jay Wright, have had several of these.

Factor in the injuries, they were huge, and also the loss of Daniel Hamilton.

Reaction Score
This line stood out to me: "[Ollie] loves the toughness I tend to bring out in players..."

- Assuming it's not just a throw-away line, I'm very excited to hear that this is something KO is prioritizing among his players and staff
- I wonder if this is something KO recognized was failing, especially given that one area our bigs had shown very little of was toughness. This could potentially be another reason Miller was shown the door -- he doesn't strike me as someone who can instill and promote competitiveness and toughness, too cerebral (which is great in some areas, but not in the capacity of big-man coach).
- Likewise, I wonder if Enoch, and to a lesser extent Jackson, may have bristled at the suggestion that he needs to get tougher, and decided he wants out

Of course, it could just be a line that sounds good and not necessarily means much, but I think there's something to it.

Reaction Score
This line stood out to me: "[Ollie] loves the toughness I tend to bring out in players..."

- Assuming it's not just a throw-away line, I'm very excited to hear that this is something KO is prioritizing among his players and staff
- I wonder if this is something KO recognized was failing, especially given that one area our bigs had shown very little of was toughness. This could potentially be another reason Miller was shown the door -- he doesn't strike me as someone who can instill and promote competitiveness and toughness, too cerebral (which is great in some areas, but not in the capacity of big-man coach).
- Likewise, I wonder if Enoch, and to a lesser extent Jackson, may have bristled at the suggestion that he needs to get tougher, and decided he wants out

Of course, it could just be a line that sounds good and not necessarily means much, but I think there's something to it.
If I could hit your post with 50 Likes, I would...

We lacked so hard in the toughness department this year. It was hard to watch. How bad? Ollie was quoted after the cincy game saying we got bullied and muscled around, or something to that extent.

UConn used to be the baddest team on the block. We used to intimidate and strike fear in another squads front court. If you were playing UConn, you better be ready for a back alley brawl. We were physical and tough.

The squad was soft this year. Cincy never has close to the talent we have on our roster. They never recruit over us. But Mick Cronin is on those kids every play (Calhoun-esque). And they respond by pushing us around. Can you imagine a 6'1 guard grabbing a rebound over our front court? Calhoun cursed you out and sat for the half. Ollie claps and encourages and let's you play through.

Kids respond to different approaches. But we just weren't tough enough this year. We got what? One technical this year. for Amida slamming the ball, after his 300th foul of the season that occurred 16feet from the hoop while going for a steal on a driving point guard..

Reaction Score
I admit there are things that happen that I have no idea about but I think Glen Miller got the shaft.

I mean...maybe he did but something had to change. Ollie wasn't going to go. We just hired Killings, and Moore is young and potentially up and coming. It was broke, so you at least need to try to fix SOMETHING. I don't know what position Miller is in charge of but we really haven't had players improve at ANY position in the last 5 years so development is certainly not his strong suit. And our recruiting has been OK, not great. You certainly can't put the whole thing on Miller, or even more than 25% or it on Miller, but at some point a change needs to be made and unfortunately he was the victim.

Reaction Score
Ollie has nothing to do with that?
Did you read the whole thing?? He has everything to do with that.

I don't remember the game, but I remember Rodney having the ball with 25 seconds until the half. He didn't run a play, just dribbled around until there were 5 seconds left. Then he threw up a desperation heave that was blocked and they never got a shot off.

It was right near the UConn bench. Ollie smiled and patted him on the butt, might have said 'it's alright, let's go'. He wasn't upset about a completely wasted possession and horrendous offensive set. Just like, oh well. Get em next half

I couldn't help but think about Calhoun putting Rodney in a choke hold if that happened right in front of him.

Reaction Score
More is wrong than I realized. I'm being cryptic b/c I hate gossip. But, that's my impression - I'm not an insider, dismiss this statement as coming from someone who doesn't know, rather than attacking me. All I will say is that it was a source within that locker room.

Reaction Score
More is wrong than I realized. I'm being cryptic b/c I hate gossip. But, that's my impression - I'm not an insider, dismiss this statement as coming from someone who doesn't know, rather than attacking me. All I will say is that it was a source within that locker room.

No one will attack...but what is the practical meaning of this? I don't think it's a major surprise that all is not well after that season, but are you saying you are hearing about more changes?

Reaction Score
No, just some discontent by a player. After thinking about what I overheard, I think it was an issue of one person (presumably a coach, but not necessarily) not having a filter, and expressing a player's limitations to the player himself, expressed by a higher level coach.
God, for hating gossip, I sure am spreading it. I'm an .

God forbid a player should hear what his weaknesses are and what he needs to improve on to help the team.

Reaction Score
God forbid a player should hear what his weaknesses are and what he needs to improve on to help the team.

Right - it took me a bit to rethink what was going on. Player was upset. I overheard things. But, ultimately, my previous post comes with better context than the first (I was trying to digest things).

I do have a little concern still - but, I don't think it's anything that can't be fixed.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't have a solution. But I also don't get paid $3 million/year to figure it out either. I don't think we should fire Ollie. That's never been part of anything I've posted. But the program should understand they don't get a pass for 2-3 years just because changes were just made this offseason.

Being critical of the KO/team critiques is getting a little old. In good times, the team receives the love and adoration of an entire state and fanbase. People spend hard earned money and devote countless hours to show their support. KO is awarded contract extensions and gets paid millions. The state throws parades and pep rallies.

And when things go sour, we're allowed to be upset. We're allowed to be critical. We're allowed to vent frustrations - especially on the boneyard. I applaud the blind supporters, I really do. It takes some strength to see the good and remain positive at this point in our history. I just don't have that type of extreme optimism in me.
What we need is a new Boneyard coach who can strengthen our ability to:
Here's a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry, be happy
In every life we have some trouble
But when you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy
Don't worry, be happy now

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
A coach has to be able to relate to and communicate with players and do it in such a way that they don't get angry and po'ed all the time

Hahaha. JC is the exact opposite of that. But that's why you have assistants: good cop, bad cop. When guys get to be Jr/Sr, they start to understand JCs methods. But they sure as shittake don't get it coming in.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I don't mind the changes, I'm optimistic

We have a stud experienced PG surrounded by talent, we'll be fine

We're going to be better at all 5 positions, every single spot on the floor will improve. Even Adams as a JR > Adams SO.

Purvis was often times very good, but not consistent enough (if he played every month like he played in March, that opinion would be different)

Facey had two good months, Jan & Feb (give or take a couple of weeks)

It was time for AB to leave

SE? we all had hope, but c'mon

VJ? had a few great games for a bad team, he can be replaced. If he wasn't happy with his roll, that couldn't be good for the locker room either

Reaction Score
Depends on who we get but entirely possible.

PG: Rique regarded as team's top player in preseason by some who watched practice + a more natural PG + MAL (an amazing winner!)

SG: Jalen junior will be better and not have to play 38-40 mins. More natural 2G will still handle it plenty and can obviously do so. Vital was not Vital at the beginning and obviously became a huge part of the program after that and will ALWAYS find mine due to toughness and ability.

SF: Larrier over VJax. As long as healthy easy yes. More athletic & dynamic.

PF: TBD. Facey really improved but was MIA in some big spots. Have to see who we get really hoping for a strong grad transfer at the 4 or 5

C: TBD - to me this is the big if. If we weren't so flawed offensively Brimah could have just been Brimah.

Bench: +1000000 times better

Hopefully we get an infusion of toughness with these last 3 ships!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom