Huskies Have A Little Break: What Needs To Change Before Texas? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Huskies Have A Little Break: What Needs To Change Before Texas?

Reaction Score
I wasn't attacking you at all, I was simply asking a few questions. Your "statement" made it seem that perhaps you had knowledge regarding the situation. If so, I was very interested to see what you knew. Hence my questions! If you knew the answers to them, it would be very interesting. So you CHILL RSHERMVIKES, and learn to decipher the difference between questions and attacks.
Gordo- - - to answer your ?,
I don't know if she does practice with the starters now, but I'd doubt it as it seems she's on the back burner on Geno's list!
I don't have any inside information!
No I haven't attended any practices! At 76 years old I'm lucky if I can go to the bathroom!, let alone drive to Storrs!

Reaction Score
Gordo- - - to answer your ?,
I don't know if she does practice with the starters now, but I'd doubt it as it seems she's on the back burner on Geno's list!
I don't have any inside information!
No I haven't attended any practices! At 76 years old I'm lucky if I can go to the bathroom!, let alone drive to Storrs!
Ah, you're still just a kid. I'll be 84 on December 10. :D

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
And you did read, "...perhaps starting Amari would at least shut those up who think she can actually do something." Yes?
Not sure what your point is . . . .

Reaction Score
Not sure what your point is . . . .
Well, you were quoting me in what appeared to be disagreement, and yet you didn't quote my most significant statement, "...perhaps starting Amari would at least shut those up who think she can actually do something." If you don't get my point now, I don't know what to tell you.

Reaction Score
There are many games on our schedule that, even now, we will win comfortably! As for your insistence that allowing her to play would fracture the team, I have to say I doubt it. Some teams, sure, but I think, as I said in my post, you could likely get buy in from the rest of the team who can very likely see the potential benefit of having a contributing 6’6” player off the bench! I would expect, as she reportedly is universally well liked by the rest of the team, that this team could rise above petty jealousy, if there were any, which I doubt, and realize that not everyone is treated the same anyway!
The truth is, if we experience many more injuries, he will play her anyway! Wouldn’t it be better to have her (possibly) more capable/prepared if that eventuality were to come about? Obviously, all this would ultimately depend on the staff’s assessment on whether such a move would negatively affect the team. I’m just offering my opinion.
There are many instances in life where kids/people are treated differently.
The effect of those actions are dependent on a whole myriad of reasons, some reasoned and some completely unfair . I think this team is mature enough to recognize that if he did play her, it would be because everything their coach has tried, has not worked, and to understand that this is merely one last effort to help their teammate succeed!
I missed this before.

For sure there are games we can win comfortably. And that is the perfect reason and time to give the minutes to the players you know are your better players in tight games. This team has little experience playing together. Why wouldn't UCONN want to give their best player's more time on the floor together? Comments have been made how the team hasn't played enough together - so now we're go to take out better players that need as much time as they can get vs an inferior player?

And this has nothing to do with "fracture." In part it has to do with if the coach can't be taken for his word, then wouldn't it be plausible to assume a critical player might transfer afther the season is over? This isn't transferring speculation of a player but of a philosophy if a coach breaks his promise when tell players that Practices and Performances" matter when it's clear you play what some suggested Amari 25-30 minutes that it doesn't. Even 10 minutes if she isn't as good-- why? Why not give much of those last 10 minutes to Ice and better players especially if Patterson is better and she comes back?

We've seen very few minutes of Ice and Edwards playing together yet it's clear Geno thinks Ice is quite a bit better. And last year Patterson was better and she needs minutes., And we've seen how critical Aubrey has been at the 4. These 4 players haven’t played one reg season together yet it's smart to have 3 of them sit for an inferior player just because she is 6'6?

Height by itself is one of the most overrated points made on here. Last year how many 6'6 players did Iowa have when they beat SC? How many 6'6 players did LSU have when the won the title?

SO, bottom-line is that we’re supposed to put a worse player in the game instead of playing the better players that prove it day over day in practice in which those players are desperate for playing time together. However, when we struggle or lose then one of the comments universally accepted is that the team hasn’t played enough together and yet playing the lesser player is one of the causes.

So yes we lose a ton if playing Amari if she isn’t ready and not as good as the others .

Reaction Score
I missed this before.

For sure there are games we can win comfortably. And that is the perfect reason and time to give the minutes to the players you know are your better players in tight games. This team has little experience playing together. Why wouldn't UCONN want to give their best player's more time on the floor together? Comments have been made how the team hasn't played enough together - so now we're go to take out better players that need as much time as they can get vs an inferior player?

And this has nothing to do with "fracture." In part it has to do with if the coach can't be taken for his word, then wouldn't it be plausible to assume a critical player might transfer afther the season is over? This isn't transferring speculation of a player but of a philosophy if a coach breaks his promise when tell players that Practices and Performances" matter when it's clear you play what some suggested Amari 25-30 minutes that it doesn't. Even 10 minutes if she isn't as good-- why? Why not give much of those last 10 minutes to Ice and better players especially if Patterson is better and she comes back?

We've seen very few minutes of Ice and Edwards playing together yet it's clear Geno thinks Ice is quite a bit better. And last year Patterson was better and she needs minutes., And we've seen how critical Aubrey has been at the 4. These 4 players haven’t played one reg season together yet it's smart to have 3 of them sit for an inferior player just because she is 6'6?

Height by itself is one of the most overrated points made on here. Last year how many 6'6 players did Iowa have when they beat SC? How many 6'6 players did LSU have when the won the title?

SO, bottom-line is that we’re supposed to put a worse player in the game instead of playing the better players that prove it day over day in practice in which those players are desperate for playing time together. However, when we struggle or lose then one of the comments universally accepted is that the team hasn’t played enough together and yet playing the lesser player is one of the causes.

So yes we lose a ton if playing Amari if she isn’t ready and not as good as the others .
Let’s just agree to disagree.

sun

Reaction Score
A superbig like Amari doesn't even need to actually block a shot.
Just by being in the right place can alter how an opponent will decide to move or to take a shot or not.
It's like having a queen on the board in chess.

Reaction Score
Amari is a frustrating enigma. She obviously has the height the team desperately needs in the frontcourt, appears to have the skills, and is said to be very likeable, intelligent. Yet, when given the opportunity to play, she shows little energy, rarely boxes out, hardly ever fights for a contested rebound or drives hard to the basket, and gets beat on defense fairly easily.
I've heard she's a great teammate. If true, her team needs her to show it on the floor.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
...Just by being in the right place ...
The crux of the biscuit. Both offense and defense require all five players to be connected to function as a unit. It's pretty late in the game to think the lights are going to come on for Amari.

Reaction Score
1 - Gordo, I just wanted to clear why imho Aaliyah is not playing so well. For now there is no solution, as you say, unless Ice steps up. She cannot keep on playing as the only big we have, but still......
2 - Amari has good potential, but she does not seem to care much about playing basketball.

Reaction Score
A superbig like Amari doesn't even need to actually block a shot.
Just by being in the right place can alter how an opponent will decide to move or to take a shot or not.
It's like having a queen on the board in chess.
Basketball is much more than blocked shots. The object of basketball is to score more points. An occasional blocked shot vs all the other bad things you get from a particular player is more important than just the focus on the single blocked shot. You also have the issue of all the times the blocked shot is missed or the player moves in position to block a shot and as a result took herself out of position to get the rebound or the next blocked shot.

You can't just continue to look at things in a vacuum and ignore things outside of the singular blocked shot. And even in that manner if you don't get possession it holds not much and in some cases no value for the blocked shot.

And to further this- What do you mean by "Queen of the Board?" Is this your way of calling her "The Queen" of jump balls too? .

The Queen of the chessboard is Paige. To suggest that the Knight is "Queen of the chessboard" because the Knight can jump would be a ridiculous point. As is referring to Amari "Quen" of something on this particular team.

She seems a great wonderful kid and let's hope in Practices she can begin to shine and then end up being very productive on the court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom