Huskies Have A Little Break: What Needs To Change Before Texas? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Huskies Have A Little Break: What Needs To Change Before Texas?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
What has to change? Fair question.

The Kansas game was a start. There was improvement from the UCLA game. This needs to continue. The starting 5 and the sub rotations will settle in. The more the freshmen play the better they will get.

We are not at practices and team meetings. We have no idea how the injuries and the play on the court is being addressed. And guess what people, it's none of our business!! Let Geno, the staff and the team work things out. They will. Right now it's a work in progress.

There is no "easy" fix as some want. It will be hard work, paying attention to detail. But most of all, the team needs to take a deep breathe, relax and play ball. These young ladies are some of the best in the country. Go out and do your thing on the court.

sun

Reaction Score
Carol needs to re-establish herself as a reliable perimeter shooter.
Or else everyone except Paige will need to focus on their mid-range game.
I don't know how reliable Q can be shooting 3's on demand.

The players need to be able to shoot from the spots where they're the most comfortable if they're ever going to become reliable scorers.

Reaction Score
Alas, I haven't seen Amari doing much of anything (offensive or defensive) "fighting for the ball," "defending the rim" or "grabbing" rebounds. At both ends of the court, she seems tentative and out of effective position.
And you did read, "...perhaps starting Amari would at least shut those up who think she can actually do something." Yes?

PvP

Reaction Score
I agree. Everyone is so fixated on discussing her because she’s got the size we lack. I will give her this, she had some good defensive moments in the Cayman Islands, and her size is her biggest asset to us. But on the season she’s played 23 minutes and taken 0 field goal attempts, grabbed a single rebound, 3 blocks, and a single assist. Counter that with 5 fouls and 5 turnovers. At some point having a good game does positively impact a box score. (For everyone not stats focused) Being a big body isn’t enough, especially on a team who is offensively challenged thus far, and in need of a rebounder.
I think any experiment involving Amari on the floor should be predicated on her staying strictly under the basket on both ends. No roaming to the key, no involvement in passing. Her only role should be blocking and rebounding. If she happens to wind up with the ball, she needs to pass it as quickly as is safely possible. All practices should be with those limitations in mind. And....Heaven help us!

Reaction Score
Thanks for the thread. I'm a bit more optimistic than I was following the UCLA game. In actuality, through 6 games the team is 4-2 with a ton of room for growth and several opportunities to test themselves and rise up to the challenge. Several teams have started the season playing great basketball, but I'm not sure how much better they will get as the season continues (perhaps bias/wishful thinking). South Carolina is routinely scoring 100 (Paopao seemingly doesn't miss from 3), Stanford's bigs are looking like the best Center/Power Forward duo since...I can't even think of one. UCLA had a tough injury but their team is shooting the ball a lot better than I had anticipated (literally have 5 players averaging over 13 points a game and are shooting 40% from 3 as a team). Even a team like Virginia Tech has had their two best players really play at a super high level virtually every game (Kitley struggled a tiny bit vs Iowa but still had a double double I believe). On the flip side I think there is a lot of room for growth for this team and obviously a huge adjustment needs to be made now that Azzi will not be in the lineup. Paige has been good, not quite shooting at the levels she did freshman year, and still needs to improve defensively. AE has been a bit up and down and had a tough time in the Caymans. Ice has been a bit cold. In any event Texas is a great barometer/test for the team. I think they are better than NC State. They have really good inside play, Rori Harmon seems fully back, as she struggled a bit last year post injury. And similar to UCLA and NC State they go a legit 8 or 9 deep, meaning everyone who plays is good. They will probably press a little bit as well- which will probably be the first time we've seen it since the Ohio State game. So the things that I want to see are as follows:

1) It's probably going to be a season long thing, and I think this is being discussed on different threads, but I'd like the ball in Nika's hands more, especially off of misses. I get Paige is Paige, but Nika just lead the country in assist last season . If she's on the floor, offensively it just makes sense (imo) to put the ball in her hands so teams can't just cheat off her. She does a great job in pushing the ball and looking for early offense. This by consequence means Paige needs to fill the wing a bit more, run to open spots and be ready to fire.

2) Caroline Ducharme back, playing 20+ minutes. It's so interesting, prior to the season, Geno was raving about how she performed in a scrimmage. And just very typical Geno, he asked the reporters bluntly and honestly, do you start Caroline? lol it was a question the boneyard wrestled with all off season, and it was kinda interesting to hear him wrestle with it as well. He said it primarily because of her health that he didn't know. Now 3 weeks in, I'm not sure what you do if she says she's feeling better. I actually thought she played ok in the Dayton game, and even in the Minnesota game in limited minutes. So 2 out of 4 games she's played she was fine in a young season. I know ppl talk about freshman Caroline but she had quite a few moments last year as well (hit double figures in 10 out of 23 games, and like 6 of the games she didn't score 10 or more she played limited minutes). The Caroline convo seems to more be shifting to whether she should play at all. If she is able to, and if she's able to play 20 minutes, I think more often than not she will be productive.

3) Aubrey, Paige, Caroline post ups?! Can everyone get in the post jk. It's sort've discussed all the team how the past 3 years, Uconn has had great passing bigs between ONO and Dorka who really were able to hit cutters, but also players in the post. Every time I see Paige post up she scores. Caroline used to post up a little as well, and Aubrey is very good at finishing. I hope to see this more throughout the season, it may be their best shot at easy baskets. It's tough to expect Paige to hit 10 jumpshots a game.

4. Amari and Ice getting on track - I do think this is a good game for Amari. Taylor Jones has probably been Texas best player through their first 7 games, but they really haven't faced great competition. I think Amari's size and length could work well for her in the matchup. Additionally Ice will be needed to step up as well.

I don't want to jinx it but the good thing about Texas is that they aren't really a 3 point shooting team. One of their better 3 point shooters Shaylee Gonzales is off to a pretty slow start from the perimeter. I hate the amount of open looks UCLA got, off offensive rebounds and miscommunication. Nevertheless I don't think they will be as concerned with Texas launching from the perimeter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's an interesting argument and I can't wait to see what Geno does about it (if anything). He doesn't have to start Amari (which would satisfy the legitimate concerns of @hoophuskee , but he could bring her in within the first few minutes and then just leave out there for an extended amount of time. What's the worst that could happen ... that we lose another meaningless game? We are going to lose plenty this season, so get use to it.
If Geno plays Amari, if he doesn't play, certainly this is coach's decision and based upon the criteria for PT that he uses for all his players. However, what I don't understand is that Geno has had ample minutes in games where UConn has had a sizeable lead that he could give Amari suitable playing time. Instead, she gets little or no PT, then he throws Amari in against Kansas, with a 6'6" center.

IF you are going to use her strategically, at least give her more PT instead of throwing her in, raw.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You have to know what you're running before you throw out a lineup. Geno has to scrap the four-out offense they've been working on for months - can't play four-out without willing and able shooters. One option is to just let Paige dominate the ball like Caitlin Clark and shoot, drive, or dish. Ideally you'd want to be bigger playing that way. We'll see, but I'm more worried about how than who...

Reaction Score
From what I've seen from Amari is she wants to be a shooter and I dont mean just under the basket shooter. More like Katie Lou Samuelson. But Geno is trying to turn her into a defensive player and there in lies the problem.

Reaction Score
Even so, and I don’t disagree that she’s been truly ineffectual when she’s been put in, I still think Geno needs to, not start her, but give her 15-20 minutes a game (except for the ranked teams at first) and do it consistently, followed by one on one coaching sessions with film! This at least, would have a possibility that she could improve enough by the end of the season to where she could actually contribute in the tournament.

She has basically never played any consistent minutes and I think, as unlikely as many would think, the possibility of even a mediocre contribution from a 6’6” big against the likes of Cardoso, Betts, Lee, and Kitley, is worth overlooking her reportedly poor practice habits. Who knows? Perhaps a fire can be lit under her if she actually feels that she could actually become a contributing member of the team! I know many will say she’s already been given lots of opportunities but I disagree!

There are some people, whether athletes or not, that simply dance to a different drum. All I know is that she is 6’6”, well liked (thus not a spoiled jerk) and has never (not saying she hasn’t brought this upon herself) been given real extended minutes on a consistent basis. We are going to have many games where letting her play 20 minutes will not change anything but perhaps the margin of victory!

Given that, I believe, unassailable fact, and also, given that our team is made up of high character, fairly mature individuals who are not likely to see this as a license for themselves to adopt poor practice habits, where is the harm in giving her potentially unearned minutes in the pursuit of a larger team goal? Geno could even meet privately with Paige, Nika, Aubrey, and Aaliyah to ask them to look out for and tamp down any grumbling among the younger players. (I don’t believe there would be any)

Again, it could be, that no matter what the coaching staff does, she simply does not have it in her! If that turns out to be the case, what have we lost? I think it’s worth a shot!
Totally agree. Good assessment. I don't know, nor does anybody else, what the lack of confidence in her has done to her but I suspect if Geno wants her to suddenly improve he needs to pump up her confidence.
One way to do that is just feed her into games early on a regular basis just to give her ego some footing.

Reaction Score
You have to know what you're running before you throw out a lineup. Geno has to scrap the four-out offense they've been working on for months - can't play four-out without willing and able shooters. One option is to just let Paige dominate the ball like Caitlin Clark and shoot, drive, or dish. Ideally you'd want to be bigger playing that way. We'll see, but I'm more worried about how than who...
Interesting point about scrapping the 4 out offense. Many coaches adjust their offenses to fit their personnel. Geno has always insisted on making his players fit into his offense. Not sure he is willing to change, but if ever there was a season for it and with PB’s talent this would be a reasonable time to consider it. That said, I won’t be holding my breath!

Reaction Score
I think Amari should PRACTICE more minutes with the starters and see if they can nudge her to be more aggressive and responsible!
I'm not saying start her in games but see if she gets more practice meaning full minutes helps her!
Invest some practice time on Amari and see what happens!

Reaction Score
I think Amari should PRACTICE more minutes with the starters and see if they can nudge her to be more aggressive and responsible!
How do you know that she doesn't? Do you have some inside information? Have you attended the practices?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We need a set starting five for sure. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Amari could step in and be a force in the paint? The reality is that she languishes on the bench because she doesn't impress in practice and what playing time she gets is underwhelming. If you must start a big along side AE, Ice would be the better choice. If you really want to start Amari, give her 30 minutes on the floor and see how that experiment works out, do it against a BE bottom feeder, not Texas. I just don't know what she has done to earn a starter role.
She has an interesting major

Reaction Score
How do you know that she doesn't? Do you have some inside information? Have you attended the practices?
Gordo- - I just made a statement!
If Amari doesn't spend a lot of time with the starters now maybe it would help her to work more reps with them!
There is no need to go into attack mode!
CHILL Gordo!

Reaction Score
Gordo- - I just made a statement!
If Amari doesn't spend a lot of time with the starters now maybe it would help her to work more reps with them!
There is no need to go into attack mode!
CHILL Gordo!
I wasn't attacking you at all, I was simply asking a few questions. Your "statement" made it seem that perhaps you had knowledge regarding the situation. If so, I was very interested to see what you knew. Hence my questions! If you knew the answers to them, it would be very interesting. So you CHILL RSHERMVIKES, and learn to decipher the difference between questions and attacks.

Reaction Score
I agree. Everyone is so fixated on discussing her because she’s got the size we lack. I will give her this, she had some good defensive moments in the Cayman Islands, and her size is her biggest asset to us. But on the season she’s played 23 minutes and taken 0 field goal attempts, grabbed a single rebound, 3 blocks, and a single assist. Counter that with 5 fouls and 5 turnovers. At some point having a good game does positively impact a box score. (For everyone not stats focused) Being a big body isn’t enough, especially on a team who is offensively challenged thus far, and in need of a rebounder.
On this team being a big body is enough. The biggest factor when you have her in the game is you make the other team make a choice on who guards AE. Right now AE is being defended by players much taller than she is and she is having a difficult time inside scoring. You can't have a 10 guard rotation and compete.

Reaction Score
On this team being a big body is enough. The biggest factor when you have her in the game is you make the other team make a choice on who guards AE. Right now AE is being defended by players much taller than she is and she is having a difficult time inside scoring. You can't have a 10 guard rotation and compete.
Well that would be true if the "big body" in question can mainly score in this scenario, but also rebound. To date that's not been the case! So, if the defense doesn't have to guard the "big body", then they are free to slack off and help guard someone else (most likely Edwards).

sun

Reaction Score
Well that would be true if the "big body" in question can mainly score in this scenario, but also rebound. To date that's not been the case! So, if the defense doesn't have to guard the "big body", then they are free to slack off and help guard someone else (most likely Edwards).
Last year Amari's FG% of .462 ranked 5th highest on the team of 10 players, by shooting 24 for 52.
Her 3 PT% was .294 based on 5 for 17 shooting which was slightly higher than Dorka, Aubrey & Ines.

Not every turnover & foul results in points for the other team.
Amari doesn't need to be a star, she only needs to contribute & follow instructions.

Reaction Score
You assumed that I was talking about Amari and I wasn't necessary. Ice has not set the world on fire either. However, since you want to rattle off stats, please tell me how many of the shots were made against the opponents starters or even their top 7-8 players. You can't, but we both know those stats were produced when the end of the bench subs were playing against each other.

Reaction Score
Cherry picking some games for Amari in 22-23:

Providence: 13 min, 7 rbs. 6 pts, 1 asst, 1 blk
Maryland: 13 min, 4 rbs, 0 pts, 3 assts, 1 blk
Seton Hall: 21 min, 8 rbs, 13 pts, 2 assts, 2 blks

She also had a bunch of 0 days.

But the point is, she is capable of putting up more than a string of zeros. I didn't think she boxed out well last year but she seems to have improved in that. In several cases of the UCLA game, her boxing out let another UConn player get the rebound. I say Geno needs to get her in there more and let her make her mistakes. If by tournament time she is still zeroing out, okay back to the bench.

sun

Reaction Score
You assumed that I was talking about Amari and I wasn't necessary. Ice has not set the world on fire either. However, since you want to rattle off stats, please tell me how many of the shots were made against the opponents starters or even their top 7-8 players. You can't, but we both know those stats were produced when the end of the bench subs were playing against each other.
Amari was a +11 in the UCLA game with Aubrey being the only other UConn player in the plus column with a +1.
Amari contributed to UConn's 1st half comeback to within 3 points.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Nika said everybody was afraid of hurting feelings, but that will stop, and they will hold everyone accountable. Maybe a little of that should go Amaris way by the senior players. Maybe she will respond differently from a teammate.

Reaction Score
Amari was a +11 in the UCLA game with Aubrey being the only other UConn player in the plus column with a +1.
Amari contributed to UConn's 1st half comeback to within 3 points.
Give it a rest! If you've read many of my posts on the subject of Amari, you would know that I have suggested she be given starter minutes to see what she can do. She has not earned a starters position, but I do want her to be given 28-32 minutes per game for at least three straight games. Not because I think she will do well with them, 'cuz I don't. If she truly has talent that can be played at this level, then everyone will know it and we should be able to move on to something else. I truly hope Geno puts her out there as I've stated above beginning Sunday against Texas.

Now please do me a favor and never reply to me again, and I promise to do the same for you. I don't like people who continually try to make a mountain our of a mole hill. Thank you very much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom