Huskies didn't stick around | The Boneyard

Huskies didn't stick around

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
for the Championship game. I was wondering if they would but the local news said they'll be back in Connecticut sometime this afternoon.
Have other teams stuck around to watch UConn win the last 4 titles?

Reaction Score
They are still students and have classes on Monday. What's interesting is my daughter had tickets behind the bench. Since we did not advance she does not have a ticket for today. I never realized that's how it worked, because we usually won.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
They are still students and have classes on Monday. What's interesting is my daughter had tickets behind the bench. Since we did not advance she does not have a ticket for today. I never realized that's how it worked, because we usually won.

This doesn't sound right. If you buy a 'package' is for the 2 semi finals and the final.

Reaction Score
Per Jim Fuller:

UCONN RETURNS HOME TOMORROW
UConn announced that the team is expected to land at Bradley Airport at 3:15 p.m. tomorrow and will head to campus after that.

There's not going to be any media availability so I won't be there to provide coverage of their return.

Reaction Score
It would be a nice gesture if there were signs and banners along their route back to campus. They represented UConn and the state of Connecticut very well and deserve a pat on the back from state residents and fellow students alike. They participated in a record that will most likely never be broken in the sport of basketball, unless they break it themselves. What a classy group of young ladies.

Reaction Score
for the Championship game. I was wondering if they would but the local news said they'll be back in Connecticut sometime this afternoon.
If they were not going tom stay for tonight's game, why not come back yesterday?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If they were not going tom stay for tonight's game, why not come back yesterday?
Because of the other commitments - WBCA was holding their ceremony which included bringing in non-FF participant players (all but Turner who one assumes didn't travel for medical or personal reasons) and I suspect Geno may have had some commitments

Reaction Score

Years ago on the men side they had a consolation game with the two teams that lost in the semi played each other. If I remember correctly one year UCLA didn’t want to play in the game and it was dropped. It would have been nice to see Uconn play Stanford. Who wouldn't want to see that?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Years ago on the men side they had a consolation game with the two teams that lost in the semi played each other. If I remember correctly one year UCLA didn’t want to play in the game and it was dropped. It would have been nice to see Uconn play Stanford. Who wouldn't want to see that?
Any non-UConn fan, I'm guessing. I'm pretty sure the rest of wcbb is heartily tired of hearing about UConn.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Awards ceremony?
Yes, the team could have returned earlier, but agreed, as a group, to stay for the awards ceremony to support their teammates.

And they do have classes Monday, obviously, arrangements can be made if they were in the game this evening, but not if they are not.

As noted, there will be no availability to the media or the public, so it doesn't make sense to try to meet them.

Reaction Score
From a player's perspective, it is not too exciting to play for the title of , "best also ran." A game against Stanford would, at this time, have no meaning so it would not have the intensity you want. The players are tired and disappointed. They want to go home and forget about this. So they go home. But they won't be able to forget. Probably a good thing. I do agree that this is a team of champions, even without the title. It would be great if the student body, and anyone for whom it is convenient, could show that. But I think they know that they are loved and admired. Time now to go. For everything must end.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I don't think "rewarding" one of the Final Four teams with a two-game losing streak to finish the season sounds all that great and that's what a 3rd place game would mean.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
From a player's perspective, it is not too exciting to play for the title of , "best also ran." A game against Stanford would, at this time, have no meaning so it would not have the intensity you want. The players are tired and disappointed. They want to go home and forget about this. So they go home. But they won't be able to forget. Probably a good thing. I do agree that this is a team of champions, even without the title. It would be great if the student body, and anyone for whom it is convenient, could show that. But I think they know that they are loved and admired. Time now to go. For everything must end.
In both WC and Olympics they have gone both ways with having a bronze medal game and just awarding two bronzes - don't even know for sure what the current format is as it hasn't been an issue for the USA since 2006.

Reaction Score
What a really Godawful idea. We're sticking around to watch the final, in large part because there is one team we do not dislike, but I cannot imagine any interest in a UConn vs. Stanford prelim, beyond the remaining fans if both teams.

Reaction Score

Umm, any UConn or Stanford player. Trust me, they have absolutely no desire to play again after Friday night.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They are still students and have classes on Monday.
And they do have classes Monday, obviously, arrangements can be made if they were in the game this evening, but not if they are not.
Perhaps I'm the only one cynical but the idea that they had to get back because of "classes on Monday" sounds very odd to me.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I sold my finals tickets to some MSU fans and made money on them. Silver lining!

Reaction Score
Perhaps I'm the only one cynical but the idea that they had to get back because of "classes on Monday" sounds very odd to me.
The NCAA pays specific dollars toward costs of the teams in the final 4. The teams that don't make the final game get a lesser reimbursement. So in effect they have to pay on their own if they stay.
My recollection of the final fours we attended is that it is rare for teams to stick around after they lose. In fact, I wonder if they would not have left on Saturday if not for some of the awards made on Saturday. I also believe Geno may host a big dinner Saturday night, but I'm not certain of that.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Actually, it was probably in the NCAA rules. They are (surprisingly considering the scandals) quite fussy about teams being on the road during classes. That's why you have situations of teams playing 2 games in the same general area maybe 4 days apart and they have to return to school between the games - returning right after the 1st one and leaving the day before the 2nd. Vivian tried to get a "waiver" one year and was refused by the NCAA.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Geno and Sue Bird is at the game. They showed them, and Geno was having fun with Sue Bird and another female.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom