Huskies Back on the List for Big 12 Expansion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Huskies Back on the List for Big 12 Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How close is Tramel to insiders at OU? Is this sort of the same thing where Dodds at Texas used to use Chip Brown as his personal mouthpiece when he wanted to leak info during the back and forth with the Pac 12 a few years ago? If that's the case, there's a good chance these comments aren't coming from Tramel, but from the OU administration. Would be a heck of a feather in our cap if the folks at OU are the ones saying we need to be considered.

Berry Tramel, a lifelong Oklahoman, sports fan and newspaper reader, joined The Oklahoman in 1991 and has served as beat writer, assistant sports editor, sports editor and columnist.

Tramel grew up reading four daily newspapers — The Oklahoman, the Oklahoma City Times, the Norman Transcript and the Oklahoma Journal — and entered the newspaper business at the age of 17, with the Transcript in 1978. His first game assignment was the Lexington-Elmore City high school football game, and he has enjoyed the journey ever since, from high school wrestling duals and regional track meets to Orange Bowls and the NBA playoffs.

Tramel was born and raised in Norman, Okla. He and his wife, Tricia, were married in 1980 and live in Norman near their daughter, son-in-law and three granddaughters.

Reaction Score
How close is Tramel to insiders at OU? Is this sort of the same thing where Dodds at Texas used to use Chip Brown as his personal mouthpiece when he wanted to leak info during the back and forth with the Pac 12 a few years ago?

Very similar - has been alleged for many years. BT did a pretty good job taking pointed jabs @ us over Fiesta Bowl and our invite/"official" attendance/tradition. Saying anything remotely positive is a big leap forward - his words or not.

Reaction Score
Very similar - has been alleged for many years. BT did a pretty good job taking pointed jabs @ us over Fiesta Bowl and our invite/"official" attendance/tradition. Saying anything remotely positive is a big leap forward - his words or not.

In August, he had an article saying that the Big 12 should go west and take BYU and Boise State.
http://newsok.com/article/5438621

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't think there is too much we can do on the Big 12 front in terms of direct contact. Obviously, some networking is a good idea, like making phone calls to school presidents to seek support and remind them what we can offer. I don't think Susan should be showing up to visit school presidents that don't want to talk to her.

Ultimately, the battle of public perception is very important in this process. You want the media and fans to vocalize that UConn is the best choice. In order to do that, the school needs to be using social media like mad to get the word out about all kinds of important information. The athletic budget, the market, the accomplishments, where we'd rank among the P5 academically and financially, the value of basketball, including WBB and its network programming opportunities. What about all the arenas our women will sell out around the league? The waves of information need to be relentless and widely dispersed right now. If the media backs UConn and the fans back UConn, we'll get in.
This might be a good step in the right direction!

Reaction Score
If I am Warde I want nothing to do with Big12. First of all if we are trying to build a football program back to respectability that is the last place we want to end up in. Far travel for all road games and we just don't fit that brand of football. We need to try everything we can to get into the Big 10. That is more our style and just a way better fit. Hopefully the Big 10 looks to expand to 16 or maybe a Big 10 team gets picked off for Big12 or SEC/ACC.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If I am Warde I want nothing to do with Big12. First of all if we are trying to build a football program back to respectability that is the last place we want to end up in. Far travel for all road games and we just don't fit that brand of football. We need to try everything we can to get into the Big 10. That is more our style and just a way better fit. Hopefully the Big 10 looks to expand to 16 or maybe a Big 10 team gets picked off for Big12 or SEC/ACC.

Can we afford to wait though?

Reaction Score
Not gonna happen what so ever!

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

never in a million years will that happen. What we need to hope for is to either pair with a school from the XII to the B1G or be in the XII and continue to improve our B1G profile.

Reaction Score
Trolling?

Reaction Score
never in a million years will that happen. What we need to hope for is to either pair with a school from the XII to the B1G or be in the XII and continue to improve our B1G profile.

We should be looking for a more permanent home then just following the trail. We should try to get into the B1G now before it gets capped at 16 so we will have a stable home for a long time. Going to the Big 12 would be a short sighted move on our part in a growing P6 conference (the AAC).

Reaction Score
http://newsok.com/article/5432044

3. Cincinnati & Connecticut: If only UConn football had kept the momentum going from Randy Edsall’s days as coach. But Edsall left for Maryland after taking the 2010 Huskies to the Fiesta Bowl, and UConn is 15-33 against an increasingly-declining Big East/American Conference. Still, UConn basketball is among the nation’s best and it’s the only flagship university on the market for conference expansion. Cincy and UConn would form a three-school suburb back East for the Big 12. But football would not be improved.

He wrote this back in July.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We should be looking for a more permanent home then just following the trail. We should try to get into the B1G now before it gets capped at 16 so we will have a stable home for a long time. Going to the Big 12 would be a short sighted move on our part in a growing P6 conference (the AAC).
Big 12 >>>>>> AAC... Come on, man.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have a photo with President Obama and I have a Twitter account. I guess that makes me on the short list for a Supreme Court a appointment.
Either that or on the short list for the purge when his second term is over.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If we turned down an invite for the B12 tomorrow over hopes that we can get into the B1G or ACC a few years (maybe a decade) from now, we need new leadership. I'm confident that our leadership would not turn down any P5 invite, even if it's for the PAC. We can't afford to wait around in the AAC and bleed money through school subsidies to remain competitive. At some point, the cash divide will be too much for us to maintain and our programs will suffer.

We have no leverage in negotiations. If the B12 says that they will invite us on the requirement that we play 1 home game a year in MetLife, then MetLife will have to become Rentschler South for a while.

We'll use the time in the B12, if invited, to further improve our B1G profile. If we are tied by the same GOR as KU and UT, then it makes things easier to migrate in a decade.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No. You'd have to be living under a rock top believe otherwise.

Absolutely. Now, would you let the ACC and B1G know (quietly)...in case they want to make an offer? Of course. But the B12 would be fine. Travel is actually no worse than the American. Basketball and Football are much, much better. We'd instantly be KU's biggest basketball rival and vice versa. That would be a huge game every year.

But the reality is that the P5 is a club. Once you are in the club, you're in the club. The perception of your school changes. Nobody questions Vandy, Wake Forest or Northwestern or long time loser programs. They are in so they belong. Once in, we'd find a spot elsewhere more easily if the B12 ever went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom