Huskies add seven. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Huskies add seven.

Reaction Score
That is perhaps the first negative thing that I heard about Mora. I didn't like that he was giving himself that as an excuse for not getting kids, especially when there are more than 50 coaches that are non-P5 that are figuring it out better. I know rankings don't exactly show things with accuracy, but you could probably say that a school 50 places ahead of UConn in recruiting that is non-P5 is probably figuring it out better than Mora currently is.
I disagree. HCJM is stating the fact that for the FB program to be relevant a move to a P5 conference will help recruiting. Mora and staff are recruiting at best they can. There was no excuse nor complain, just facts.

Reaction Score
I disagree. HCJM is stating the fact that for the FB program to be relevant a move to a P5 conference will help recruiting. Mora and staff are recruiting at best they can. There was no excuse nor complain, just facts.
Couldn't agree more. I'm still amazed that some of you have a wait and see attitude about coach Mora. Accept the fact that we have one of the best coaches in all of football and get ready to enjoy the ride.

Reaction Score
The NBE is not the BE
Not even close
Those days are in the past - need to look to the future - this school needs money and lots of it
Thank you. It's exactly the point I'm making. Is it a good basketball conference? Of course. But if you take Nova, Creighton and St. Johns out that's a mid major at best. Like I said before I'd much rather play Cincy, Houston, BYU, Baylor, WVU and Ok State every year than Marquette, Depaul, Seton Hall, Providence and Xavier.

Reaction Score
If there are 50+ non-p5 schools recruiting better than him, then how is not being in a P5 preventing him from recruiting like all those schools?

To note, I really do like the guy as a coach and I think he is great for the program. Recruiting is just the one area that I haven't seen up to the standard that I think the guy has. Granted the new QB recruit is awesome, but the first two classes were passable maybe.

Reaction Score
Thank you. It's exactly the point I'm making. Is it a good basketball conference? Of course. But if you take Nova, Creighton and St. Johns out that's a mid major at best. Like I said before I'd much rather play Cincy, Houston, BYU, Baylor, WVU and Ok State every year than Marquette, Depaul, Seton Hall, Providence and Xavier.
?? Why?Xavier has top team, Marquette is excellent, Seton Hall is coming back. What’s your logic?

Reaction Score
?? Why?Xavier has top team, Marquette is excellent, Seton Hall is coming back. What’s your logic?
I'm not saying they're bad. Big East still has good basketball, but I personally would rather them play the Big 12 opponents every year then the majority of the current iteration of the BE.

Reaction Score
If there are 50+ non-p5 schools recruiting better than him, then how is not being in a P5 preventing him from recruiting like all those schools?

To note, I really do like the guy as a coach and I think he is great for the program. Recruiting is just the one area that I haven't seen up to the standard that I think the guy has. Granted the new QB recruit is awesome, but the first two classes were passable maybe.
I think the biggest hurdle for Mora so far is developing the relationship with high school coaches in the NE. He has a lot of connections out west which he's been using, but I think he's developing more of a pipeline for him to recruit locally and expand. Sort of like Geno and Jim did when they first arrived.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I hope it’s continuous improvement but let’s be honest — as a group, those aren’t compelling resumes. I know they’re upperclassmen and physically different than recruiting freshmen, but are any of them nearly as likely to really be important players over time as bringing in young ‘uns and seeing what you can turn them into?

Mora has earned our, and my trust, but that doesn’t mean I have to pretend that every press release brings important good news, does it?

I disagree. Football is a team sport. Every team needs some exceptionally talented players; however, teams need other roles too, like leadership, maturity, character, work ethic, etc. The seven new transfer Huskies bring those characteristics.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He's only been here 18 months and his initial recruiting took us to a bowl game. It's only gotten stronger from there. "Passable maybe"? Let's try to be a bit realistic.

Reaction Score
Quarterback. It's all about QB.

A good QB elevates the WRs, the running game and the offensive line. A good QB makes it impossible to stack the box. A good QB makes it easier to recruit better players.

Until we find a dynamic, effective QB we have one hand tied behind our back.

Reaction Score

I don't see judging him on 1st year recruiting when started job the end of November. Once you get past the top 500 to 1000 recruits (that's mostly top 35 to 50 programs) not sure raters can tell recruiting class # 75 from #110. Also, not being in a conference is not likely to be a big selling feature, if not a down right negative to a lot of recruits.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I know most of this board hates Edsall, but those of us who followed V1 would say that he took under recruited and 2 star guys and sent them to the NFL. Even in his last iteration, most of last year's team was recruited by RE.

Point being, Mora is looking for his guys but the difference has a higher pedigree and a better appreciation for what he is looking for.

Reaction Score
He's only been here 18 months and his initial recruiting took us to a bowl game. It's only gotten stronger from there. "Passable maybe"? Let's try to be a bit realistic.
Which recruits of his were major players in taking us to a bowl game? It was people who were already here or on board with coming to UConn prior to him. Hardly any of his players broke the two deep.

Reaction Score
I think the biggest hurdle for Mora so far is developing the relationship with high school coaches in the NE. He has a lot of connections out west which he's been using, but I think he's developing more of a pipeline for him to recruit locally and expand. Sort of like Geno and Jim did when they first arrived.
Yeah and that's what I see him as. Fantastic guy at building long lasting relationships. And maybe its the name or my excitement about how he has coached the team so much better than prior coaches, but perhaps I was expecting too much, too early.

Reaction Score
I don't see judging him on 1st year recruiting when started job the end of November. Once you get past the top 500 to 1000 recruits (that's mostly top 35 to 50 programs) not sure raters can tell recruiting class # 75 from #110. Also, not being in a conference is not likely to be a big selling feature, if not a down right negative to a lot of recruits.
I am judging him on two years of recruiting. We are almost at signing his third class here this December.

Reaction Score
I am judging him on two years of recruiting. We are almost at signing his third class here this December.
Are you just trying to be edgy, or contrary for fun? The man just took us to a bowl game in year 1 with a team that most thought might win 2 games. The best recruiting he did was keeping Jackson Mitchell, Vic Rosa and Christen Haynes here. On top of that our recruiting is as based on our team ranking as anything. Once you get past 50th or so in the rankings it’s a crapshoot. I’m amazed at the results last year, especially considering the injuries to our RB’s, QB’s and WR’s. I expect another step this year.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Football is a team sport. Every team needs some exceptionally talented players; however, teams need other roles too, like leadership, maturity, character, work ethic, etc. The seven new transfer Huskies bring those characteristics.
Seriously? You can tell that from their resumes how?

Reaction Score
Quarterback. It's all about QB.

A good QB elevates the WRs, the running game and the offensive line. A good QB makes it impossible to stack the box. A good QB makes it easier to recruit better players.

Until we find a dynamic, effective QB we have one hand tied behind our back.
Cole Welliver!!! Enough about Mora's recruiting results and lack of, comparing to the other 50 or 500 other fictional coaches.

Reaction Score
I think there is some value there. Buckman is the type of receiver that helps make plays even when the pass is not very accurate. He goes after the football like only a few that I remember like a Kanuch or Thomas. Has few drops as another poster noted. Move the sticks kind of player. Happy to have him. Forty catches are pretty good for not being a primary. Renwick is a big DB that had 90 stops as a juco last year. A number of other programs offered. Possible Safety with playing time this year or next. Wilkins is 6-4 310, played for a couple of P5 programs replacing the Oladele scholarship. DTs take up blockers allowing others to make tackles. Their value doesn't necessarily show up in the numbers but in the numbers of others. If he can be an effective back up and give the starter(s) a rest that would good. Not likely to find kids out of HS like him.

Reaction Score
Are you just trying to be edgy, or contrary for fun? The man just took us to a bowl game in year 1 with a team that most thought might win 2 games. The best recruiting he did was keeping Jackson Mitchell, Vic Rosa and Christen Haynes here. On top of that our recruiting is as based on our team ranking as anything. Once you get past 50th or so in the rankings it’s a crapshoot. I’m amazed at the results last year, especially considering the injuries to our RB’s, QB’s and WR’s. I expect another step this year.
It's not edgy or contrary to say that I think the guy is doing a great job as a coach, which I did above and said multiple times, and then also point out his weakness. Even he admits that he is not getting the people he wants to get. I am not sure what's edgy or contrary about that at all. The only difference I have with how Mora feels about the situation is that I don't believe the P5 thing is the main issue because other non-P5 coaches do a better job. Maybe that changes with the relationships he builds and the new QB is a good sign, but I don't think there are many, if any objective people who can sit there and look at his coaching vs his recruiting so far and not notice a drastic difference.

Reaction Score
It's not edgy or contrary to say that I think the guy is doing a great job as a coach, which I did above and said multiple times, and then also point out his weakness. Even he admits that he is not getting the people he wants to get. I am not sure what's edgy or contrary about that at all. The only difference I have with how Mora feels about the situation is that I don't believe the P5 thing is the main issue because other non-P5 coaches do a better job. Maybe that changes with the relationships he builds and the new QB is a good sign, but I don't think there are many, if any objective people who can sit there and look at his coaching vs his recruiting so far and not notice a drastic difference.
The G5s with great results, the ones that got bumped up to FBS had heavy investments in coaching staffs far beyond anything UConn has come close to. UConn has correctly, chose to invest its resources in mens and womens BB. An invite to a P5 will bring necessary revenue to up the investment in FB bigly. Going all in BB has UConn in a position to get the call up. The criticism against UConn continues to be they dont invest in FB. While i disagree with this from a facilities standpoint, i cannot when it comes to paying for coaches.

Reaction Score
The G5s with great results, the ones that got bumped up to FBS had heavy investments in coaching staffs far beyond anything UConn has come close to. UConn has correctly, chose to invest its resources in mens and womens BB. An invite to a P5 will bring necessary revenue to up the investment in FB bigly. Going all in BB has UConn in a position to get the call up. The criticism against UConn continues to be they dont invest in FB. While i disagree with this from a facilities standpoint, i cannot when it comes to paying for coaches.

Suzie was out of her depth. We would be P5 now if she didn't screw it up.

Reaction Score
Granted the recruiting rankings might not be accurate within 10 or 20 and you can never tell how things will turn out, but according to all the recruiting ranking services its not the G5 with great results that are ahead, its every single team in FBS football. We also invest and have been investing more in football amongst the top of the G5 for some time, so I don't see how that is an excuse here either.

Do you think Mora went into the Boston College game saying that the team can't compete with them because the are P5, do you think he even said that about the Michigan or NC State games? He probably would have chewed out the any person who said that. He doesn't accept excuses or losses in coaching, no matter what, so it was curious to me as to why he was giving himself an excuse about why he was not getting the recruits he wanted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom