Hurricane Milton | The Boneyard

Hurricane Milton

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
This one is going to hit hard.

Pinellas County (St Petersburg, Clearwater and surroundings) I'd not the largest county in Florida, by population, but it is the highest population density county in the State. And Milton looks to be setting up to punch Pinellas square in the mouth.

Tomorrow is our last day to get hurricane prep stuff done.

Then we await the turtle. Big, strong, wrecking ball of a turtle.

Reaction Score

Pinellas County (St Petersburg, Clearwater and surroundings) I'd not the largest county in Florida, by population, but it is the highest population density county in the State. And Milton looks to be setting up to punch Pinellas square in the mouth.

Best to all of you my prayers are with you!!!

My buddy has a condo on Madeira Beach and they just had their roof ripped up during Helene. Now they’re right in the line of sight again, he can only hope. He’s not there but the investment is being ruined.

:(

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I dropped an email tonight to my old boss and now good friend who lives on Madeira Beach in St. Pete. Wanted to know if he was planning on sticking it out or leaving dodge because this one sounds horrific for his area.

I didn't feel the need to touch base after Helene as I wasn't aware that area was hit that hard. There was no news coverage up here about the effect in the Tampa Bay area. But he sent me a couple of pix. Three cars washed away from his driveway into the bay behind his house, and he lost everything on his ground floor (fortunately he and his wife live on the upper two levels, which weren't affected).

Hope his house makes it through. Great place to visit and go tooling around the bay with the manatees.

Here's one of the pics he sent:
IMG_5804.jpg

Yes, that's a truck on top of another truck.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Best to all of you my prayers are with you!!!

My buddy has a condo on Madeira Beach and they just had their roof ripped up during Helene. Now they’re right in the line of sight again, he can only hope. He’s not there but the investment is being ruined.

:(
I wonder if your buddy knows my buddy?

Reaction Score
Was just texting with my sister-in-law who lives about 25 miles north of Fort Myers, which looks to be directly in the path. They are going to ride it out and hope for the best.
Milton weakened slightly last night because of its close proximity to Yucatan. Dropped to a cat 4 from a cat 5. There’s also a chance as the eye approaches Tampa and points south, that it may draw in some dry air, which should weaken it further. Still forecast to be a cat 3 or cat 4 when it crosses the state.

Reaction Score
Best of luck to all of you Gulf coasters. I have friends out that way so I hope everyone gets through this.

Looks like we're dodging another bullet down here in South Florida . . . so far. We're under a TS Watch. Warning.

Hurr Milton Cone 100824.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At one point yesterday, it dipped below 900 mbs. Only happened 4 other times ever.

Reaction Score
Milton weakened slightly last night because of its close proximity to Yucatan. Dropped to a cat 4 from a cat 5. There’s also a chance as the eye approaches Tampa and points south, that it may draw in some dry air, which should weaken it further. Still forecast to be a cat 3 or cat 4 when it crosses the state.
Praying you are right!

Reaction Score
My daughters in-laws live in Venice FL and they have made the decision to stay. With family and friends in the NYC metro area, I’d take a ride or a flight Out of the Venice area.

Reaction Score
At one point yesterday, it dipped below 900 mbs. Only happened 4 other times ever.
Actually five other storms did that. Hurricane Patricia, Typhoon Tip, Hurricane Gilbert, Hurricane Wilma, and the infamous Labor Day Hurricane that hit the Florida Keys in 1935. The Labor Day Hurricane may have been the worst ever after engineers calculated the wind speeds (220mph with higher gusts) from the damage it caused.

Reaction Score
I think it also weakened due to going through an "eyewall replacement" cycle. When it's done doing that and the new eyewall finishes forming, has a chance to strengthen again.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
One acquaintance of mine bugged out to Fort Lauderdale. Most others tend to head from Pinellas up to Orlando area (lots of available hotel rooms). But storms often track up that way with predictable results. Folks heading to Dade and Broward position themselves on the back side of the weather.
Smart move! I bet Key West is nice.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One acquaintance of mine bugged out to Fort Lauderdale. Most others tend to head from Pinellas up to Orlando area (lots of available hotel rooms). But storms often track up that way with predictable results. Folks heading to Dade and Broward position themselves on the back side of the weather.

Panhandle hotels and RV parks are filling up with peninsula folks. Yesterday I was on I-10 near the Florida/Alabama border and saw a caravan of fire and rescue trucks and SUV's with trailers in tow from Louisiana heading east.

Reaction Score
I think it also weakened due to going through an "eyewall replacement" cycle. When it's done doing that and the new eyewall finishes forming, has a chance to strengthen again.
Yes, I saw that in the time lapse, it will restrengthen only if the eye contracts (gets smaller) which is rare during a replacement cycle. An eye wall replacement cycle usually widens the eye which would decrease the wind speed and increase the BP. The close proximity to Yucatan definitely did decrease the moisture laden air flowing into the storm at low levels.

Reaction Score
This is true. We won't get the storm surge or the brunt of the winds, but we are not by any means a get-out-of-danger-free zone. The picture describes the storm's future impact on Seminole (where Oviedo is), Orange (Orlando), and Osceola (Kissimmee & Disney) counties. Prayers, strength, and common sense to all who are in the path of this monster.

I'm nearly done with hurricane prep. My freezers literally cannot hold any more ice. Comfort food obtained, as well as pet food. Car gas tank is full. My huge bougainvilleas have been trimmed to an inch of their lives. Drainage trenches have been dug. Front & back porch stuff & plants are stowed in the garage. Laundry and dishes are done. Ample supply of Xanax confirmed. ;)

Attachments

• Counties.jpg
    Counties.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 15
Reaction Score
This is true. We won't get the storm surge or the brunt of the winds, but we are not by any means a get-out-of-danger-free zone. The picture describes the storm's future impact on Seminole (where Oviedo is), Orange (Orlando), and Osceola (Kissimmee & Disney) counties. Prayers, strength, and common sense to all who are in the path of this monster.

I'm nearly done with hurricane prep. My freezers literally cannot hold any more ice. Comfort food obtained, as well as pet food. Car gas tank is full. My huge bougainvilleas have been trimmed to an inch of their lives. Drainage trenches have been dug. Front & back porch stuff & plants are stowed in the garage. Laundry and dishes are done. Ample supply of Xanax confirmed. ;)
Keep in mind there will be 2 storm surges when the storm makes landfall. The first and far more severe surge will be on the west coast of Florida and will be immediately south of where the eye is. The second and lower surge will be on the east coast of Florida, north of the eye, when the storm begins moving into the Atlantic.

Reaction Score
Panhandle hotels and RV parks are filling up with peninsula folks. Yesterday I was on I-10 near the Florida/Alabama border and saw a caravan of fire and rescue trucks and SUV's with trailers in tow from Louisiana heading east.
Are you in Pensacola? What are you doing there? You must be in the Navy or work with the Navy.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I dropped an email tonight to my old boss and now good friend who lives on Madeira Beach in St. Pete. Wanted to know if he was planning on sticking it out or leaving dodge because this one sounds horrific for his area.

I didn't feel the need to touch base after Helene as I wasn't aware that area was hit that hard. There was no news coverage up here about the effect in the Tampa Bay area. But he sent me a couple of pix. Three cars washed away from his driveway into the bay behind his house, and he lost everything on his ground floor (fortunately he and his wife live on the upper two levels, which weren't affected).

Hope his house makes it through. Great place to visit and go tooling around the bay with the manatees.

Here's one of the pics he sent:
View attachment 104029

Yes, that's a truck on top of another truck.
Not for nothing but...he can't park there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom