Hurricane check in .. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurricane check in ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just spoke to OC and he is fine. He said that west of the ridges the rain was less torrential and filled the rivers but not with the same vengeance as to the east. He only lost power for a half hour. He did note that depending on the area folks were still having trouble hooking up with fa,ily because sometimes they were on opposite sides of closed bridges or washed out roads.

He, actually, played golf today and sends his best to all.

Nice to hear some good news for a change. Glad OC is o'kay!

Reaction Score
Holy Carp....I am going through some SERIOUS internet withdrawl. Sitting here in the Manchester Public Library getting my fix. CL&P has given us an estimated service restoration of 12:30 AM tonight (Wed morning), but really, that is just a guesstimate. Earlier today it was 12:45 pm tomorrow (Wed). Maybe if I am lucky, when I get home the power will have magically been restored.

My frig and freezer have an appointment for a serious cleaning once the power is restored. Might as well do that since it will be completely emptied. Not a chance I am attempting to eat anything that remains in it.

Man, this is crazy. I am still trying to figure out how I didn't die from boredom in my childhood.

Reaction Score
Internet back on at 1pm yesterday (Tuesday).
Sunday was exciting at our place in West Haven. Yes, our power went to "brown-out" dim at about 4;30am due to a downed tree on the next street. We're right on the water at Oyster River Point and rode out the storm FINE until about an hour before high tide. I mean, the wind was not as bad as many previous storms.
However, at about an hour before high tide, the waves had advanced as close to the house as I's ever seen. We are protected by a double seawall. That is, we have an old rock and concrete deal (certainly more than decorative) which defines and protects our yard. More substantial, is a system of gigantic granite blocks (think, breakwater / jetty) which is laid on the shoreline against the inner sea wall.
During the surge - thankfully, the outer wall (the revetment) broke the real force of the waves, thus, dissapating most of the power. As the astronomical high tide (rightly named BTW - I'd estimate 8 feet HIGHER not closer than normal) the water continued up our lawn, under our deck until it covered the ground under 2/3 the length of our house. We took sea water in our basement (about 3 feet deep) innundating our gas boiler-furnace and upright gas water heater.
Given the fact that, MOST of the energy of the waves had been disapated by the outer sea wall and our house is SOMEWHAT elevated, OTHER THAN damage to the heat and hot water systems, we only sustained an amazing MESS ( the loss of some treasured privacy hedges and about 2 to 4 feet right off the top of most of the inner seawall).

BTW: I've never had flood insurance 'cause I didn't think it made sense to pay $1,500 or $2,000. yearly to insure the potential loss of a heating system (which is, pretty much the extent of our loss) . AFAIK, wind damage would be covered under normal Homeowners policy. That said, my faith in that decision was really tested as we watched - more water than I've EVER seen - advance toward my window Sunday.
We're dealing with the mess - we may or not eat a furnace and water heater replacement - I'll learn to do concrete repair on the inner sea wall but, all-in-all we're VERY fortunate. I'll post pictures when I figger' it.

PS: If anyone was praying for the safety of others, it WORKED! Thanks!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Jim, glad you managed and were safe. Blessings on your recovery.

Reaction Score
Chester, VA - All things considered, it could have been worse. Lost power, phone, cable, and internet around 5pm Saturday. The power returned around 5pm Monday; the phone, cable, and internet just returned. I can certainly identify with those going through internet withdrawal. What did people do to entertain themselves in the old days?
Saturday night was just miserable alone without power. On Sunday, a few of my neighbors and I purchased generators at Home Depot; With lines snaking through the store, Home Depot was pushing the generators out as soon as they came off the truck. The generator brought back a comfortable level of sanity and is a very good investment.

Again, all things considered...There are still a number of homes in the area without power with very little news of imminent restoration.

Reaction Score
here in western mass. we swim in the green river and tube down the beautiful deerfield river. wonderful gifts from nature, but then they become destructive forces beyond imagination. we were relatively untouched in greenfield, but people not very far west of us in the hilltowns, and 20 miles north of us in brattleboro and so much of vermont , have been devastated. they are just very close to those wonders of nature which they enjoy most all of the time. they will enjoy them again, but , for sure, it will take time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My folks finally have power in Branford as of 7:00PM last evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom