OT: - Hurricane Check-in | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane Check-in

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
OK here in Tarpon Springs, 30 miles NW of Tampa. Lost power for 36 hours. Still no phone/internet service with no estimate on getting them back. Tree leaning against the screened enclosure around the pool but my lawn guy came the next day and removed it.

Lots of trash in the font yard, branches, leaves, etc. Spent some time on Monday raking it into piles. Took a short break and came out to my neighbors putting the stuff into trash bags for me. Taking them to Longhorn Steakhouse tomorrow night to thank them.

At the local library using their WiFi hotspot (great response BTW).

Got to get home as my wife is there alone. My best wishes to my fellow Floridians, especially those still without power, including the couple next to me here.

Blessed with no injuries or deaths in my area. Thank God.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Many, many thanks for all the well wishes during Hurricane Irma..!! My two kids in Tampa and Orlando are well and seemed to have escaped the worst of the storm. We in Naples/Bonita Springs did not. As of this post, still no power, no AC, almost no gas and minimal internet. I literally bribed our computer guy to partially fix my computer at work, with a bag of ice. If the guy at Publix really needed that ice, he shouldn't have left his cart to get the beer. :cool:

At this point, people would trade 2 ticket for this coming season's Final Four for 5 gallons of gas and a hot pocket sandwitch. But all the damage is to property and I've not heard of loss of life in a wide circle of friends or their friends. For that, everyone is grateful. :)

The eye of Irma came ashore on Marco Island, then proceeded over Naples and Bonita Springs. I've heard news stories about 132 mph gusts of wind. My fav is a Bonita Utilities guy who said the wind meters they use to measure storms blew away. :eek: I took a short video before holing up in my garage and it still scares me to watch it. The whole house seem to shake and heave when the micro bursts would hit. We took on water in the two rooms facing east where the storm hit from, and the front door. From the first rain and wind, until the all clear was about 12 hours. Not fun..!

So that was Sunday and tonight is Wednesday (I think), and the fun continues. Sleeping without AC, in Florida, in September, is like going to the beach in a wet suit. Oh, and then there are the bugs that come in from having the house so open...:mad:

I appreciate all the prayers and positive thoughts. Clearly they worked. While living without AC is primitive, at least the toilets kept flushing..!!

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Many, many thanks for all the well wishes during Hurricane Irma..!! My two kids in Tampa and Orlando are well and seemed to have escaped the worst of the storm. We in Naples/Bonita Springs did not. As of this post, still no power, no AC, almost no gas and minimal internet. I literally bribed our computer guy to partially fix my computer at work, with a bag of ice. If the guy at Publix really needed that ice, he shouldn't have left his cart to get the beer. :cool:

At this point, people would trade 2 ticket for this coming season's Final Four for 5 gallons of gas and a hot pocket sandwitch. But all the damage is to property and I've not heard of loss of life in a wide circle of friends or their friends. For that, everyone is grateful. :)

The eye of Irma came ashore on Marco Island, then proceeded over Naples and Bonita Springs. I've heard news stories about 132 mph gusts of wind. My fav is a Bonita Utilities guy who said the wind meters they use to measure storms blew away. :eek: I took a short video before holing up in my garage and it still scares me to watch it. The whole house seem to shake and heave when the micro bursts would hit. We took on water in the two rooms facing east where the storm hit from, and the front door. From the first rain and wind, until the all clear was about 12 hours. Not fun..!

So that was Sunday and tonight is Wednesday (I think), and the fun continues. Sleeping without AC, in Florida, in September, is like going to the beach in a wet suit. Oh, and then there are the bugs that come in from having the house so open...:mad:

I appreciate all the prayers and positive thoughts. Clearly they worked. While living without AC is primitive, at least the toilets kept flushing..!!

Go Huskies..!!
Am I to assume you are staying at your home and NOT at Bokampers??? :confused: They gotta have their ice machines working by now. :cool:

Glad to hear you and your kids are OK. Stay safe.

Reaction Score
Everglades City and Chokoloskee Island have catastrophic damage. The bridge connecting the island was under construction and was seriously damaged. The residents there were cut off from water, power, communication and assistance. These are not the high rise condos of Marco Island or the usually empty mansions of old Naples. These are stone crab fishermen and women, fishing guides, and people who make their living by giving service to snowbirds like me. I suffered major losses but I am insured and I am not there now. Many of these good people are not insured and will have a long road to recovery. Furthermore the environmental threats are real. The release of water from Lake Okeechobee down the Caloosahatchie River is spoiling our sport fishing economy in the Everglades National Park area. This storm exacerbates the problem. Just needed to vent. Sorry, these people need real help not prayers. GO HUSKIES

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Good news -- the storm surge around Naples-Fort Meyers looks like it'll be less than originally predicted.

Do you have anything on WIRECHIEF? Since IRMA hit Florida, I have not seen a post from him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom