Hurley's technical | The Boneyard

Hurley's technical

Reaction Score
Technical fouls are a weapon that need to be deployed strategically. Jim Calhoun understood this the best of any coach I have watched save maybe Bobby Knight who really brought it to the brink. Ollie had no idea how to use technicals. His technicals actually lost us games.

Today, Hurley got, what I would call, a bad technical. The T for arguing with the ref over how the bench should behave benefited us in no way. After the T, Creighton went on a run.

I have been hoping, all season, that Hurley would light up a ref after Bouknight got blasted. That is the kind of T that gets Bouk a few more trips to the foul line and it also fires up a team to see the coach defending their teammate. For a guy as animated as DH, he doesn't get Teed up very much which is a good thing. But he doesn't use the T much either.

As I said, the T today netted us nothing. To be honest, it didn't cost us very much either. But it was NOT strategic. And it needs to be. Hurley does a fair job riding the refs but to be really effective, to bully the refs, he needs to learn this trick of the trade. Ts would be a good arrow to add to his quiver.

Reaction Score
It was a bogus T from a cranky Ref. The timing hurt us, helped Creighton get a couple of possession "cushion" and relaxed them imo. I don't think it had a huge impact on the loss but we'll never know....our margin for error is razor thin right now.

Reaction Score
The run that Creighton went on had little or nothing to do with the T. Actually the T worked in a way as the foul difference was significant at the time as Creighton had many less. As soon as we got the ball the ref he was complaining to the most called an off the ball foul which pointed to “giving one back”. It evened out more for sure thereafter.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I was fine with it just because all the bigs were getting 2 fouls at a very early stage.

Reaction Score
It's a 'T' that came at a bad time, but it wasn't like Hurley was all-in on getting T'd up there. Like the announcers said, unless they are saying things that will get you T'd regardless of what physical position your in, I don't see the big deal with the bench standing. Coaches seem back to be able to roam all over the court in some of the other games I've watched.
UConn, without Bouknight, Akok and Jackson, were competitive for the majority of a game with a top 25 team and also got nothing from one of their better offensive players (Polley). Also, they were on the road. It's going to happen.

They need to do better though against Butler and St. John's.

Reaction Score
Sorry but that T was a bad bad look for the league. When you’re playing on the road this year (or at home in our case) the bench is your fan base. As a ref you have to know your role and shut your mouth. Let the bench get fired up, they weren’t on the court and they were just cheering on their team. Glad Hurley stood up to that ref because that cannot happen again with the whole COVID thing going on.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I can understand those who think we'd have been up 1 at the half if not for Coach's T.

However, I lean towards the side that believes we would have been down 12 at the half if he didn't go looking for trouble.

Reaction Score
Surprised that when borges asked him about it after the game hurley told him it was none of his business, between him and the ref and print the whole quote. Was an odd sequence.

Reaction Score
You guys look for any reason to bash Hurley. He’s a fantastic coach stockpiling recruits and building a program from the bottom up. Ollie shredded the entire thing. Should we beat a top 15 team on the road without our only elite player? Hmmmm. But complain about a technical foul he didn’t even deserve

Reaction Score
It was a bad call by the ref. Not Hurley’s fault one bit. Whatever it’s over with, refs make mistakes too. But to somehow skew it to make it seem like Hurley is a bad coach? Ridiculous...

Reaction Score
Seemed like awfully bad timing to me. Tie score, Creighton had three seconds on the clock on an inbound that expanded to 20 seconds, and suddenly UConn had a 4-point deficit. Any momentum shift is a problem.

Reaction Score
He wasn’t trying to get a T, he wasn’t even engaging with the ref who Td him up
Yes, that is the problem with the original premise of this post. Of course it was not strategic. It should not have been a T at all. When a coach is talking to a ref on one side is the court and a ref from the other side comes over to give him a T, it’s just a bad call.
The equivalent would be starting a post explaining how a player cannot commit a foul in a certain situation, only to see on replay that the player actually did not commit a foul and the ref screwed up. You do not blame that on the player.

Reaction Score
Technical fouls are a weapon that need to be deployed strategically. Jim Calhoun understood this the best of any coach I have watched save maybe Bobby Knight who really brought it to the brink. Ollie had no idea how to use technicals. His technicals actually lost us games.

Today, Hurley got, what I would call, a bad technical. The T for arguing with the ref over how the bench should behave benefited us in no way. After the T, Creighton went on a run.

I have been hoping, all season, that Hurley would light up a ref after Bouknight got blasted. That is the kind of T that gets Bouk a few more trips to the foul line and it also fires up a team to see the coach defending their teammate. For a guy as animated as DH, he doesn't get Teed up very much which is a good thing. But he doesn't use the T much either.

As I said, the T today netted us nothing. To be honest, it didn't cost us very much either. But it was NOT strategic. And it needs to be. Hurley does a fair job riding the refs but to be really effective, to bully the refs, he needs to learn this trick of the trade. Ts would be a good arrow to add to his quiver.
Out of everything that happened in the game, Hurley’s T was the least of my concerns. Not his fault the ref made a bad call with T’ing him up!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

Ridiculous post

Reaction Score
I wanted to know more about the T, whether it was the bench or because Coach was on the court. Calhoun was intimidating when he went after refs, that's tough to duplicate.

What is ridiculous is that coaches are even wearing masks at this point. If the players can play without the masks, the coaches can coach without the masks. All they do is hang them around their chins. They yell and shout at players and refs and then put the masks back on when they want to shut up and stand by themselves. The reverse of what should be happening.

Reaction Score
You guys look for any reason to bash Hurley. He’s a fantastic coach stockpiling recruits and building a program from the bottom up. Ollie shredded the entire thing. Should we beat a top 15 team on the road without our only elite player? Hmmmm. But complain about a technical foul he didn’t even deserve
No no no no no. I am not bashing Hurley in any way, shape or form. You're seeing something that is not there.

I am talking about a very specific aspect of coaching. I even said I think he does a good job riding the refs. However, this is an area I believe he could, perhaps should, improve. It's a technique many coaches employ. It's a way of getting your point across to a ref. And after giving a technical, many refs are much more likely to really listen to you. Technicals can effect the way the game is called. It can make refs focus on an area that a coach wants scrutinized. Or the coach can use them as a motivational tool to fire up their own players.

Every coach has strengths and weaknesses, all of them. And what more appropriate place to have such a discussion than on a UConn basketball message board. My comment was clear. Technical fouls need to be used strategically, I pointed out an area that I believe Hurley should use an occasional technical, defending our best player. Use Ts unwisely and you're just giving the opponent free points.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Stop it!!
Nobody is above criticism
Tell me - please quote EXACTLY what DH said to the ref so we all can determine that he "didn't even deserve" it.
What did you hear from the bench? His quote in the Courant when asked about it was "none of your damned business" Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Nobody is saying he can't recruit but fantastic coach is taking it to a level that hasn't been exhibited or earned.
Should we beat a top 15 team without our best player? Why not? it's never been done before?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Don't be so protective - let's win a few games, a few NBE tournament games, a few NCAA tournaments games(lets get there first) before we start calling people fantastic and off the criticism list.
For crying out loud - plenty bashed Calhoun after winning 3 NCs, including me for decisions on and off the court.

Reaction Score
That was one of the weakest technical calls I've seen in a while. It's like that ref studied at the Roger Goodell School of Officiating.

What made me even more annoyed about it is that the ref instigated everything. Who cares if the teams are standing during the games? He did the same thing to Creighton too...nothing either bench was doing was beyond standing cheering ethics. Telling the players to "sit down". Totally clueless.

At best, there are barely any fans in the arenas and I encourage all benches to be as festive and energetic as they can. With little to no outside noise, they are the ones responsible for providing the players the court the energy.

Reaction Score
Stop it!!
Nobody is above criticism
Tell me - please quote EXACTLY what DH said to the ref so we all can determine that he "didn't even deserve" it.
What did you hear from the bench? His quote in the Courant when asked about it was "none of your damned business" Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Nobody is saying he can't recruit but fantastic coach is taking it to a level that hasn't been exhibited or earned.
Should we beat a top 15 team without our best player? Why not? it's never been done before?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Don't be so protective - let's win a few games, a few NBE tournament games, a few NCAA tournaments games(lets get there first) before we start calling people fantastic and off the criticism list.
For crying out loud - plenty bashed Calhoun after winning 3 NCs, including me for decisions on and off the court.
You can't quote what Hurley said because he was not talking to the ref that T'd him up. As for the post game comment, even Borges admitted that it was directed more at him for his quoting mistake earlier this week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom