Hurley's next contract | The Boneyard

Hurley's next contract

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
By bringing home #5, Dan cemented himself as a perfect fit for UConn basketball. He's brought us back to prominence and his recuiting doesn't indicate that this will be a fluke 1 year performance. His teams have steadily improved year by year.

The question now, is how do we manage an extension for him to keep him here long term? I'm not particularly concerned about him jumping ship to go anywhere, but he's earned a raise based on his performance.

Under Hurley's current deal, national title incentives earned him a salary raise to ~$3.1 million annually, $750,000 in bonuses, and a 2 year extension option to March 2029.

I think $4-$4.5 million annually would be more in line with his market value. Can the University afford that? Will be extend him this off-season?

Reaction Score
More money for assistants is equally as important. We need to continue to bring in quality folks after Kimani and Luke leave.

No lifetime contract. Something like 5 million is probably about where we'll end up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
By bringing home #5, Dan cemented himself as a perfect fit for UConn basketball. He's brought us back to prominence and his recuiting doesn't indicate that this will be a fluke 1 year performance. His teams have steadily improved year by year.

The question now, is how do we manage an extension for him to keep him here long term? I'm not particularly concerned about him jumping ship to go anywhere, but he's earned a raise based on his performance.

Under Hurley's current deal, national title incentives earned him a salary raise to ~$3.1 million annually, $750,000 in bonuses, and a 2 year extension option to March 2029.

I think $4-$4.5 million annually would be more in line with his market value. Can the University afford that? Will be extend him this off-season?
Glad you started this thread. UConn absolutely has to be proactive in this.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this before. Geno earns > $3 million. The top women's college program coaches earn $750k to $1 million. Geno will retire in a couple years (he's 70) and UConn can hire Sue Bird or Taurasi for $1 million and shift the rest to Hurley. Easy solution.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
More money for assistants is equally as important. We need to continiento bring in quality folks after Kimani and Luke leave.

No lifetime contract. Something like 5 million is probably about where we'll end up.

Not sure we can afford to give the assistants and Hurley raises... even though they all deserve it.

I think we lose Kimani this offseason to a head coaching gig, but keep Luke (with a promotion/raise) and Tom.

Hurley is probably worth $5 mil annually, but I think he and Andrea like CT, and will stay for a $4-4.5 million annual deal with incentives.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Can the University afford it? The short answer is no. We can’t afford to pay him what we’re paying him now. But we can’t afford NOT to give him a big raise even more.

AD David Benedict is probably in line for a raise as well. We are going to need that B1G money to afford our administration and coaches.:)

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

After fixing the wifi

Reaction Score
Not sure we can afford to give the assistants and Hurley raises... even though they all deserve it.

I think we lose Kimani this offseason to a head coaching gig, but keep Luke (with a promotion/raise) and Tom.

Hurley is probably worth $5 mil annually, but I think he and Andrea like CT, and will stay for a $4-4.5 million annual deal with incentives.

Luke has been in the running for HC gigs already. I have heard (from non-BY sources) that Kimani is having a tougher time getting those interviews right now.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20230404_121809_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
Luke has been in the running for HC gigs already. I have heard (from non-BY sources) that Kimani is having a tougher time getting those interviews right now.
That is not true. Kimani was in the running for a job that just closed up recently, but they weren't willing to offer him enough money. He's not going anywhere until someone gives him $1M

Reaction Score
That is not true. Kimani was in the running for a job that just closed up recently, but they weren't willing to offer him enough money. He's not going anywhere until someone gives him $1M

Opted to delete my last comment because I don't want to be an asshat. I am aware that Kimani has had interest from schools. Everyone in NY knows about it. I am also aware that a couple of college presidents have had reservations about his hire for reasons out of his control.

Reaction Score
Opted to delete my last comment because I don't want to be an asshat. I am aware that Kimani has had interest from schools. Everyone in NY knows about it. I am also aware that a couple of college presidents have had reservations about his hire for reasons out of his control.
I would be happy if he wants to stay forever and make $1M/yr as our associate head coach.

Reaction Score
Sign me up, too. He's already making something like 750,000 (one of the best paid AHCs in the country). He really could make as much as a lot of mid-major coaches staying here if he negotiated well.
there's also recent history of long-time assistant/associate head coaches going directly to high-major gigs (jerome tang and tommy lloyd come to mind) and bringing instant success. kimani could stay here another 5 or 10 years, help build uconn into a second dynasty, and still be an A+ candidate when the right opportunity arises.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom